test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Connection to the login server timed out. Please try again later."

Starting from yesterday evening, I have been unable to login to Star Trek Online on PC. I login and the game brings me to the character selection screen. There, nothing happens for a long time before my character shows up (without the ship in the background) but I am able to click the Play button.

Then, the message "Redirecting. Please wait." appears and stays that way for quite long before it changes to "Connection to the login server timed out. Please try again later.".

Is anybody experiencing this problem? Looks like I am going to miss out on completing the Winter Event at this rate.

Comments

• chrisccw315#4958 chrisccw315 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Try to IP refresh... go to "search", type "cmd", at DOS prompt enter "cd\" to clear the command; then type "ipconfig \release", enter; follow by "upconfig \renew"

I guess high traffic these days are clogging up server, having issues connecting even through proxies; the above method usually works for me and I have to do that every now and then
  • neohunter200neohunter200 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Thanks. I tried your method but now its getting from bad to worse. Now the launcher itself is unable to connect and gives me this message:

"Failed to talk to Cryptic servers for initial connection. Please try again."

I doubt it has anything to do with renewing the IP address. I even tried restarting the router. No luck.
    Gosh, sorry to hear about what happened

My most extreme method the last time this happened was reinstall, it sounded kinda irrelevant but it worked at the time

Connection issue is endless; for me being far away from server, non LTS (they have dedicated server) and high traffic means I will periodically get disruption even though my connection can watch HD online without lagging

Sigh...yeah. It may be time to try the reinstallation method and pray that it works.

Will give it a try and let you know if it works.
    Okay. Update time.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Arc and Star Trek Online. Now its worse. I can't even get the updates in the launcher. I think I remembered seeing 8 attempts by the launcher before it gave me the error message "Unable to establish connection to the Patch Server. Please check your internet connection. If problem persist, please contact Technical Support."

I even tried getting Star Trek Online on Steam and got the same result. So, I am starting to think it has something to do with Cryptic and not me.

I did a tracert patchserver.cypticstudios.com and saw that the last few hops were quite bad. It was either 299ms or timed out. One of them was "a23-58-138-122.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [23.58.138.122]" and the last hop which took 1665ms was to "patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]".

Star Trek Online is behind Akamai?
    Same here, just tried to login to setup for the evening and I've hit "unable to establish connection with server" or launcher simply stays blank; still trying to switch between proxy server to see if it works...

As for akamai, I read something of that, though whether its related to the issue is still much debated

To update : after some troubles back and forth, I finally got in and did a bit; I'd say at least a dozen and half of failure to connect with server or stuck trying to reach tracker before it finally behaved and let me in.... for now I'd say an issue with overcrowded server :(
    Yup. I just tried after reading your message and I can update abeit at a extremely slow rate for a 50MB update.

Also did a traceroute and at least there are no lost packets. However, the ping is horrible at 300ms at akamai and patchserver.crypticstudios.com
    Okay. Correction. I am seeing some packet loss in the traceroute.

I have been downloading the patch in the launcher for the whole morning and it is only at 59%.
    UPDATE: Update in the launcher is completed. Logged in and still cannot play the game.
    That's sad, again sorry to hear the connection continued to plagued your gameplay. Did support gave you any feedback?
    I did not raise a ticket with Support. I think I shall do that. Hope they do not come back and tell me "Oh...its Akamai's fault! There is nothing I can do about it! Sorry!"
  • camcurucamcuru Member Posts: 1 New User
    i am getting this now withe the unable to connect to server... shut everything else and no good
  • authuriousauthurious Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I've also been having this issue today. During the early hours of the morning I can play the game with a lot of rubber banding. As the morning progresses it gets to the point where I cannot log into a character and the game will terminate at the character selection screen. It is worth noting that I am an oceanic player, so there might be something along my route causing problems.
    Just to add an update to this issue. I've submitted a ticket with all of the info I can provide, but I would like to add the following.

My ISP is Optus.
    I notice latency issues with the game from exactly 11:30 am AEST.
    The game becomes unplayable by the afternoon / evening.
  • agathon55agathon55 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I've been having this issue on and off for the past two weeks. Located in Malaysia. Weirdly though, if I log in during the day (early to late evening in the US), I have no issues. Trying to log in in the late evening here (early morning US), is when I start seeing connectivity issues.

Don't seem to be having any internet issues other than STO that I've noticed.
    Glad to see a fellow countryman; I'm at Penang and yeah I've been practically unable to play from 8:30pm onwards until very late into 11:30pm+ before the connection start getting smooth again; funny thing is I can watch tube at 1024 without issue; but cryptic will not say its their server issue, its always your provider at fault...

In fact I'm up here because I cant login at all; its 11:30pm

agathon55 wrote: »
    I've been having this issue on and off for the past two weeks. Located in Malaysia. Weirdly though, if I log in during the day (early to late evening in the US), I have no issues. Trying to log in in the late evening here (early morning US), is when I start seeing connectivity issues.

Don't seem to be having any internet issues other than STO that I've noticed.

I had the exact same issue. I found that I had to contact my ISP and get them to look at my line to get the issue resolved. Hope this helps.
    edited March 2022
    Deleted.
    Post edited by neohunter200 on