test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will the next season take a step away from the discovery stuff?

imelchori42imelchori42 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
as far as i can tell the original content that was made before the nutrek shows is far mor enjoyable and interesting than $TD.

would be cool if the devs developed more of their idea and content moving on in the 25th century like they did before, and with more of the classic trek characters again, and the ones they introduced themselves like captain shon. i really got to like the character.

the other shows from the past few years are really not interesting imo and dont have more than the name in common with star trek.

but its also a lot of the ship designs they came up with like the odyssee class looked a lot better.
Post edited by imelchori42 on

Comments

• imelchori42imelchori42 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    wait. why is S-T-D censored? thats how most people cut it short.

i guess the producers dont want the association with a certain type of a disease, but its not like their shows are any more enjoyable.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited August 2021

i guess the producers dont want the association with a certain type of a disease, but its not like their shows are any more enjoyable.

It is censored because that is also an acronym for a s e x u a l l y transmitted disease and is usually used against Discovery to hate on it and to be immature as well. The acronym is DSC, in Memory Alpha it might be DIS. Also, because that decision by people to refer to it in that way is very different than the other acronyms for the other Star Trek series. ENT=Enterprise, TOS=Original Series a.k.a. Star Trek, TNG= The Next Generation, DS9=Deep Space Nine, VOY=Voyager, PIC=Picard, LD=Lower Decks. Personally wish the acronym for Star Trek: Discovery was DIS instead of DSC but that was their decision not mine.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited August 2021
    sthe91 wrote: »

Because that is also an acronym for a s e x u a l l y transmitted disease and is usually used against Discovery to hate on it. The acronym is DSC, in Memory Alpha it might be DIS. Also, because that decision by people to refer to it is very different than the other acronyms for the other Star Trek series. ENT=Enterprise, TOS=Original Series a.k.a. Star Trek, TNG= The Next Generation, DS9=Deep Space Nine, VOY=Voyager, PIC=Picard, LD=Lower Decks. Personally wish the acronym for Star Trek: Discovery was DIS instead of DSC but that was their decision not mine.

well, most people ive heared talking about it call it $TD. its not that the production company has even the power to make that decision. its generally what tends to prevail in public language. if more people use one version than the other, then they can censor it any way they want, and their version will still not become the main designation.

and yea, im aware that it has a second meaning, but if she show wasnt about as enjoable as such a disease, tried to be a star trek show and not something else under a star trek coat of paint (same for picard), people would probably hate a lot less on it.
    its not like theyre hating without reason or hating just for the sake of hating. it would be easy to write entire essays of why the shows are terrible star trek shows.

at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion. including those who like it, (even though i dont know why anyone would).

censoring the acronym as a form of damage control seems silly. but this is drifting off topic.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Regardless, I do think it is in the Star Trek fans' court, to not be immature about a show especially Star Trek: Discovery and refering to it like a disease in the first place. Especially, since Spock says IDIC. Whether one believes it is a Star Trek show or considers it something else under a coat of paint like some think Picard is, there should be some type of respect shown.

As for taking a step away from that show in STO, they might move away from it in the next season update but whether one likes it or not, DSC is Star Trek so it will always be part of the game and will never not be a part.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    Regardless, I do think it is in the Star Trek fans' court, to not be immature about a show especially Star Trek: Discovery and refering to it like a disease in the first place. Especially, since Spock says IDIC. Whether one believes it is a Star Trek show or considers it something else under a coat of paint like some think Picard is, there should be some type of respect shown.

As for taking a step away from that show in STO, they might move away from it in the next season update but whether one likes it or not, DSC is Star Trek so it will always be part of the game and will never not be a part.

there was literally a scene in an episode of discovery where they made fun of gene roddenberry.

their short trek series had gems like a starfleet captain making fun of a crewman and humiliating him for a joke, because thats exactly how gene rodenberry envisioned a starfleet officer in a utopian society to behave in which mankind has become its best.

ill start showing some respect to these shows and their producers, when they develop respect for what they have in their hands, and the shoulders of the people theyre standing on.

as far as $TD content in this game goes, its a nice feature that you can just skip the story episodes touching the stuff and ignore the content.

id really like if the devs develop more of their own ideas, because i quite liked a lot of them. my favourite mission was probably going with the lukari on their first space expedition.

finding the gekli, greeting the farpoint aliens, exploring an abandoned alien ruin into the discovery of k-13 etc. it was probably the most star trek like episode out of their content.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User

It is censored because that is also an acronym for a s e x u a l l y transmitted disease and is usually used against Discovery to hate on it and to be immature as well. The acronym is DSC, in Memory Alpha it might be DIS. Also, because that decision by people to refer to it in that way is very different than the other acronyms for the other Star Trek series. ENT=Enterprise, TOS=Original Series a.k.a. Star Trek, TNG= The Next Generation, DS9=Deep Space Nine, VOY=Voyager, PIC=Picard, LD=Lower Decks. Personally wish the acronym for Star Trek: Discovery was DIS instead of DSC but that was their decision not mine.

No. It is TRIBBLE thanks to their naming their show the way that they did, with none of them being too aware of what might likely happen. Same as for TNG, DS9, etc. shortening it to DSC is a preference that some tacked on to avoid the unintentional slur, but that is a choice. TRIBBLE fits with previous nicknaming conventions!
  • sparkopolis#9935 sparkopolis Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Gatekeeping redacted. — WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Begone Necromancy!
    *Casts Holy Photon Torpedo to banish Zombie*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.