test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The artwork in this game is truly exceptional - I wish I could actually see it

valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,726 Arc User
As the title says, the artwork in this game is truly exceptional. Some of - if not the - best in the industry. I sincerely mean that. The graphic and environment artists at Cryptic truly need to be applauded on their work. Ships, characters, environments, all of it is so rich and beautiful it very much brings the game world to life. Truly something to behold and enjoy.

With that said, this game is to the point where it is becoming literally unplayable due to both the truly obnoxious VFX spam from abilities and fly-in loot text that cannot be disabled or removed. Borticus is asking for "quick wins" - my sincere advise is to forget those. Please, start doing a quality pass on the VFX for all abilities. The game desperately needs it. The visual vomit is so overwhelming you literally cannot see what is happening.

I am sure I am not the only one here who takes great care in crafting our ships and characters. It is truly heartbreaking and frustrating to have them buried under layer after layer of VFX to the point we cannot even see them anymore.

Surely there must be a better way to visualize these abilities without making them so overwhelming? Every new ability is adding to an already out of control problem.

This does not need to be done all at once. Start with some of the most obnoxious abilities that wash out the entire screen for everyone and work your way through the list. Yes, I understand this is a lot of work and yes I understand that it would be a monumental effort to do. That should not be a deterrent for doing it though.

Please, please, please can we get the amount of VFX spam addressed?

Added for clarity: I sincerely hope that this thread and the discussions that come about because of it can open a dialogue to serious discussions with Cryptic about this subject. It is not my intention for it to bash the developers whom I am sure are all working very hard.

Thank you.
Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
thecosmic1 wrote:
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Not sure what option it is in the notifications screen but I don't see any fly-in loot text. Pretty sure I know what you mean, I've seen in in the past but I've got it disabled somehow.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I have squadron looting disabled for fly-in notifications. That must be it to rid of looting fly-ins.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Not sure what option it is in the notifications screen but I don't see any fly-in loot text. Pretty sure I know what you mean, I've seen in in the past but I've got it disabled somehow.
    echatty wrote: »
    I have squadron looting disabled for fly-in notifications. That must be it to rid of looting fly-ins.
    It is not. I have every single box unchecked in the Notifications settings screen and the fly-in loot text is still there when running TFOs.

This is not the point however. The point is that this should never have been implemented in the first place. Cluttering up the UI with flying text while in combat has to be one of the worst design implementations ever.
    On PC: Mini-map -> Notification Settings -> Squadrons -> Squadron Looting -> Fly-in -> toggle via check box from on to off while in a TFO. You might try toggling this setting a couple times to get it to stick. This worked for me on all characters 100% of the time. No more fly-ins for looting.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    This does not need to be done all at once. Start with some of the most obnoxious abilities that wash out the entire screen for everyone and work your way through the list. Yes, I understand this is a lot of work and yes I understand that it would be a monumental effort to do. That should not be a deterrent for doing it though.
    Endless good suggestions have been proposed in past discussions on this, and dev responses have remained at 'there's too many' and 'it's needed for gameplay information' along with 'complain more' and just silence.

I won't try to dig through them and quote them here all over again, but if anyone has the time, please forward these concerns in Q&As with anyone who would receive the feedback.

At this point I actually want things to get worse to make the game fully unplayable due to the complete saturation of 'information' combined with actual visual obstruction of mission objectives, so that the concerns become impossible to ignore as they are now. The more recent addition of full screen whiteout/strobe on large ship explosions (Herald & Borg especially) makes me wonder if they ever play their own game as it's intended, with other team mates present who are at least half-competent at gaming.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    On PC: Mini-map -> Notification Settings -> Squadrons -> Squadron Looting -> Fly-in -> toggle via check box from on to off while in a TFO. You might try toggling this setting a couple times to get it to stick. This worked for me on all characters 100% of the time. No more fly-ins for looting.
    I will repeat it again since you seem to have missed it - I have every single box there unchecked. Every single one in both columns. Still fly-in loot notifications when doing TFOs.
    See if this method works for you. Added some italics for emphasis. As far as I can recall this was the solution posted the first time this in-game setting came up for discussion quite some time ago. I play on PC.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I have stopped playing team content because it isn't fun anymore. Can't see what I'm shooting at.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2021
    As the title says, the artwork in this game is truly exceptional. ... Truly something to behold and enjoy.

With that said, this game is to the point where it is becoming literally unplayable due to both the truly obnoxious VFX spam from abilities and fly-in loot text that cannot be disabled or removed. Borticus is asking for "quick wins" - my sincere advise is to forget those. Please, start doing a quality pass on the VFX for all abilities. The game desperately needs it. The visual vomit is so overwhelming you literally cannot see what is happening.

Thank you.

That's why I wished in the referenced thread they'd implement a VFX feature, that allowed 1-4 settings on a Graphic Preferences for a setting to be saved.

♦ Most Visible 77% of FX, Transparent 23%
    ♦ Visible 70% of FX, Transparent 30%
    ♦ Moderate Visibility 58% of FX, 42% Transparent
    ♦ Limited Visibility 50% of FX, 50% Transparent
    TX9Djcx.png
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    i know you have been around long enough to know many threads about this has been posted and nothing has been done.

Actually, that is not true.

They have actively made a concerted effort to make it much much worse.

Requests like this have been coming in for quite a while, there were quite a few before they released one of the most visually assaulting ships.. the Risian Weather Control Vessel with it's super spammy console. They have released quite a few visually assailing items since then as well. People have been requesting that they back off the spam for years and rightfully so.

Not only has Cryptic shown absolutely no interest in facilitating this request, they are actively making efforts to go the opposite direction and increase visual spam as much as possible.

Now, before the OP jumps all over me.. I am not insulting the idea.. hell, I agree with it. It's a great request that I would absolutely love to see facilitated, I just have given up because I know it will never happen.

My take is that Cryptic's 'metrics' have shown that 'big flashy makes money,' and if that's the case.. you can expect it to continue and even get worse.

I hope I am wrong.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    i know you have been around long enough to know many threads about this has been posted and nothing has been done.

Actually, that is not true.

They have actively made a concerted effort to make it much much worse.

Requests like this have been coming in for quite a while, there were quite a few before they released one of the most visually assaulting ships.. the Risian Weather Control Vessel with it's super spammy console. They have released quite a few visually assailing items since then as well. People have been requesting that they back off the spam for years and rightfully so.

Not only has Cryptic shown absolutely no interest in facilitating this request, they are actively making efforts to go the opposite direction and increase visual spam as much as possible.

Now, before the OP jumps all over me.. I am not insulting the idea.. hell, I agree with it. It's a great request that I would absolutely love to see facilitated, I just have given up because I know it will never happen.

My take is that Cryptic's 'metrics' have shown that 'big flashy makes money,' and if that's the case.. you can expect it to continue and even get worse.

I hope I am wrong.

appreciate the slap upside the head to inform me i was wrong. :) all true mate.

The slap was not intended for you. More for the people that keep making it worse. :wink:
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I can't find the specific one right now, but I distinctly recall a comment in a Livesteam or similar that the management don't feel inclined to change anything with regard to visual spam.

Again, can't find where it was said nor the exact comment/reasoning, but it was definitely said.

Their actions also reflect this as they continue to add visual spam to the game on a regular basis.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I wish I could find the quote, but the search engine on this forum is useless.ttps://postimg.cc/sG2nZysB

Edit: Found it - Livestream on 17/03/2021 - VFX Artist Chris Menard: https://twitch.tv/videos/953378472
    I don't have the timestamp, but the comment, per the summary that a player typed, was:
    "As the one who actually makes the effects, Chris is aware that every time the power he's making right now would be running alongside with "97 other" and the result would be seizure-inducing glowy mess, but his bosses just see shiny and want it to be shinier."

Thank you for posting this. I am not sure I am sold that this is what is happening to be honest. It is hard to imagine that any designer worth their salt would just shrug their shoulders and say "oh well". Surely they can literally show their bosses what the game looks like and make the point. I mean, I literally have to do this daily where I work when dealing with executives who are not at all technical people. Once I take the time to explain what is involved with what they are asking and can literally show them what the results would be, they more often than not change their minds.

I am not saying this does not happen at Cryptic as I would hope their designers are pleading the case. If it is their bosses, then quite frankly those people should not be in design making positions.
    Clearly this is not shiny enough and needs to be shinier. sG2nZysB

EDIT: Seems like the img code is broken? Here is a URL https://postimg.cc/sG2nZysB
  • Options
    I had a problem where the fly-in notifications were 'disabled' but kept showing up as well. I went back in, turned them all on, exited the game (so as to force the settings to update) and then logged back in and turned them all off again. That seemed to fix the problem for me.
    This seems similar to the solution to the missing boff stations in that getting the game to recognize that something has been changed is often the key to success.

I hope the OP gives it a try rather staying with unwanted loot fly-ins long after a number of solutions have been posted.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    As the title says, the artwork in this game is truly exceptional. Some of - if not the - best in the industry. I sincerely mean that. The graphic and environment artists at Cryptic truly need to be applauded on their work. Ships, characters, environments, all of it is so rich and beautiful it very much brings the game world to life. Truly something to behold and enjoy.

I am sure I am not the only one here who takes great care in crafting our ships and characters. It is truly heartbreaking and frustrating to have them buried under layer after layer of VFX to the point we cannot even see them anymore.

Surely there must be a better way to visualize these abilities without making them so overwhelming? Every new ability is adding to an already out of control problem.

Added for clarity: I sincerely hope that this thread and the discussions that come about because of it can open a dialogue to serious discussions with Cryptic about this subject. It is not my intention for it to bash the developers whom I am sure are all working very hard.

Thank you.

that's why I intentionally do not queue for TFOs unless i must, and if I go to a space battleground I immediately go to the lowest population. If I'm doing a point, and someone come to the point to "help", I leave the point and go to another
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I hope the OP gives it a try rather staying with unwanted loot fly-ins long after a number of solutions have been posted.
    No offense, but should I repeat what I have already posted about this for you for a fourth time? Or do you think you can actually read what I posted?

In case you missed it yet again, I have repeatedly tried to do what you suggested. I have tried to check and uncheck each and every item thousands of times across several characters. I have tried it in space, I have tried it on ground, I have tried it aboard my ship, in social zones, on TFO maps, outside of TFO maps, in Sector Space, in instanced missions, on New Romulus, on Q'Onos, on Nukara, ESD, Drozana Station... everywhere. What you suggested does not work.
    No offense taken. Yes I can and have read what you posted. This is the first time you've directly said what's being suggested doesn't work. Perhaps the bright side is others experiencing the same issue now have two different suggestions that seem to often work even if they don't work for you? I think this is similar to the infamous missing bridge officer stations issue on new ships... when enough players collaborate, pool their suggestions, and come up with a well worded solution good things can happen.
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited December 2021

No offense, but should I repeat what I have already posted about this for you for a fourth time? Or do you think you can actually read what I posted?

In case you missed it yet again, I have repeatedly tried to do what you suggested. I have tried to check and uncheck each and every item thousands of times across several characters. I have tried it in space, I have tried it on ground, I have tried it aboard my ship, in social zones, on TFO maps, outside of TFO maps, in Sector Space, in instanced missions, on New Romulus, on Q'Onos, on Nukara, ESD, Drozana Station... everywhere. What you suggested does not work.

You have tried it here and there,
    you have tried it everywhere.
    It does not work to turn off spam,
    it does not work, Sam-I-am.
  • Options
    No offense taken. Yes I can and have read what you posted. This is the first time you've directly said what's being suggested doesn't work. Perhaps the bright side is others experiencing the same issue now have two different suggestions that seem to often work even if they don't work for you? I think this is similar to the infamous missing bridge officer stations issue on new ships... when enough players collaborate, pool their suggestions, and come up with a well worded solution good things can happen.

Quite clearly you have not read anything. Let me refresh your memory.
    I have every single box unchecked in the Notifications settings screen and the fly-in loot text is still there when running TFOs.
    I will repeat it again since you seem to have missed it - I have every single box there unchecked. Every single one in both columns. Still fly-in loot notifications when doing TFOs.
    Repeating for the third time now since you missed it again - I have every single box in those settings unchecked. Every one. As in all of them. No box in that screen is checked.

I have tried checking and unchecking them all while in space. I have tried checking and unchecking them on the ground. I have tried checking and unchecking all of them while in social zones. I have tried checking and unchecking all of them from within my ship interior. I have tried checking and unchecking them all in sector space. I have tried checking and unchecking all of them in instanced space maps while doing missions. I have tried checking and unchecking them repeatedly. Nothing has worked at all. I am still getting fly-in loot roll text while on TFOs.

Clearly all the notification boxes did not uncheck themselves. I have reiterated several times now that what you are suggesting does not work. I am happy to keep repeating this for you until it sinks in, however my preference would be for you to stop derailing the thread. If you feel that what you are suggesting is a fix, please do me the courtesy of creating a new thread for it as this is not what this thread is intended for.

Thank you.

All that seems to be happening here is some strange exercise in semantics during which you've repeatedly stated all your boxes are unchecked without stating that you've actually tried the several suggestions proposed in good faith to get rid of the loot fly-in issue.

Key elements of the suggestions from various parties involved much more than simply ensuring everything is unchecked.

It seems disingenuous to mention an issue in an opening post and then claim that a thread is about something else.

Please try to be a bit more clear in your responses in the future so as to help avoid potential ambiguous interpretation issues which can leave various parties wondering what the other is talking about or what they really mean.

Rest assured that your loot fly-in vfx issue won't be mentioned again. Perhaps consider opening a bug thread if you're unable to resolve it ?

I'm sorry things aren't working for you.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Sci-fi in general seems to be heading towards the anime level of over-the-top seizure inducing VFX and it is trickling its way into games like STO. It probably does not help that DSC is in the forefront of that heavy dependence on VFX and crazy camerawork, especially since the problem seems to have accelerated even more in the game after DSC hit the air (or web rather, since it is in a streaming walled garden).
  • Options
    Would it be possible to compile a list of abilities that seem to be contenders for vfx concerns?
This discussion has been closed.