test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Zen Charge Bonus for Steam again!

aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
It really sucks not all money is treated equal by Cryptic.

I can not use your Arc platform because you guys block the addresses for country I am working in now. Speaking of which it is very hit and miss if can even connect because not only do you block me but the country I am in blocks you and I am on a highly secured government network - No choice where I live it is all they allow! The voodoo I have to do to connect to STO not to mention the risk of imprisonment is amazing actually just for a Star Trek fix but I digress...

Anyway, I can only use Steam yet you do not give it the same treatment as ACR despite it being linked directly. I have spent a couple thousand this year and have $500 waiting in Steam but if no charge bonus I wont bother anymore. Things are already insanely expensive in US dollars in the first place and I have to pay a factor of 7x for $1 which usually works out to nearly half my salary for one month after taxes and fees. Accordingly an extra 17k Zen would really be nice.

Yet I'm willing to do it to support STO but sometimes I wonder if it is worth it....
If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
ingame: @.Spartan
Romulan_Republic_logo.png
Former Alpha & Beta Tester
Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    while i am not privy to actual reasons, i can only make best guesses that they need to get a co-op deal with steam going before they can launch the sale. as it seem, steam may be like the consoles where they get a %...
    again, not sure, just a guess.

hagd mate.

I know it has something to do with the margin paid to Steam as well as promoting a proprietary platform. Nonetheless that cost ought not be passed on to the customer in my opinion. All options should be treated the same in terms of player value especially so given the extremely high dollar cost for "microtransactions" in the store and the fact they claim there is no real world value for purchases.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    There have been a couple of bundles that released on console with a lower introductory sale rate than on PC. The reason cited was the fact that consoles take a cut. Cryptic has never treated all their customers equally.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    You can sign in through arc and buy zen through arc to receive the bonus. You don't need to have a second installation of the game to do it either.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2021
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    I can not use your Arc platform because you guys block the addresses for country I am working in now.

Seems silly they'd block Star Trek, yet some countries do cause of the support for LGBT. Which is kind of sad regardless of one's own beliefs.
    You can sign in through arc and buy zen through arc to receive the bonus. You don't need to have a second installation of the game to do it either.

Still do what you can to be safe, and as darkblade stated it still best to use Arc Website even if you play thru Steam. If your using the forums after all, then just click on Charge link at the top! Problem solved... ...the reason the bonus ZEN doesn't apply, is likely related to policy or commissions thru Steam Store. It's also why Console (two different stores) also have to negotiate different sales with them as well.
    0zxlclk.png

Sadly I can not. Paypal wont let me use my local bank with my account and neither will Arc. I get money into Steam via gift cards but no one here sells Cryptic points for obvious reasons. I really dont have a choice sadly.
    garaffe wrote: »
    There have been a couple of bundles that released on console with a lower introductory sale rate than on PC. The reason cited was the fact that consoles take a cut. Cryptic has never treated all their customers equally.

No doubt. Well it is supposed to be independent now since it was purchased again so lets see how things go... My ability, capacity, and risk to keep supporting STO are at the precarious levels now.
    Update: A 20% bonus is now showing. It is not nearly as much as on Arc but it is something and appreciated.

Also in fairness last month they did offer the same bonus on Steam for the sale albeit a tad late. Nonetheless the CS was nice enough to credit me the bonus a day later.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User

all you need to do is go to the website, you don't NEED arc.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    westmetals wrote: »

Sadly I can not. Paypal wont let me use my local bank with my account and neither will Arc. I get money into Steam via gift cards but no one here sells Cryptic points for obvious reasons. I really dont have a choice sadly.

If it is possible for you to get a prepaid Visa gift card, you could then use that to buy from Arc.

It might be awkward if it's not in one of the exact amounts that they allow for purchases, though.

Unfortunately such financial instruments are unavailable for me.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2021
    Update: A 20% bonus is now showing. It is not nearly as much as on Arc but it is something and appreciated.

Also in fairness last month they did offer the same bonus on Steam for the sale albeit a tad late. Nonetheless the CS was nice enough to credit me the bonus a day later.

If that is true, then it's the same. "December 22nd at 8am to January 3rd at 10am, you will get a 20% bonus when you charge for Zen, on PC"
    0zxlclk.png
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    > @strathkin said:
    > If that is true, then it's the same. "December 22nd at 8am to January 3rd at 10am, you will get a 20% bonus when you charge for Zen, on PC"

I can confirm this, I did it this morning (Sunday 0915 central time USA). I'm glad I waited to redeem my steam credit and checked back.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
This discussion has been closed.