test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omni beam restrictions exclude omnis they shouldnt exclude

zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
So, there are mission omnis, reputation omnis, crafted omnis and lockbox omnis. We can fit two omnis at most. No, the kinetic cutting beam isnt part of this. This isnt about fitting a third omni, just about fitting two omnis of our choice without any nonsensical restrictions.

Here is the problem.
On one ship I have a reputation and crafted omni but I cant fit a mission omni.
On another ship I have a mission and crafted omni but cant use a reputation omni.

I just cant use a combination of a mission and reputation omni. But we can use turrets of the same sets as a replacement. So we kinda get our omni that isnt actually an omni or a beam to benefit from beam abilities but we get the set bonus. And it looks terrible for polaron beam builds because the turret of one of the sets shoots additional green bolts. Its just hideous and ruins theme builds and it makes no sense.

I just cant imagine someone intentionally designed it like this. It defies all reason. It has to be a bug.

Comments

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Reputation/mission are the same group. You can have one set omni beam (rep/mission reward) and one non-set omni beam (lockbox/crafted). It was intentional, not a bug.
  • zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    Reputation/mission are the same group.
    But why? It makes no sense.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,003 Arc User
    As previously mentioned, the [confusing] mess of which omni's can be equipped is never really explained anywhere ingame and we only figure this stuff out on our own.
    zarasz wrote: »
    So, there are mission omnis, reputation omnis, crafted omnis and lockbox omnis.
    Not quite - there are crafted omni's and then there's the rest of the omni's.
    You can equip 1 crafted omni, 1 non-crafted omni & the kinetic cutting beam for a total of 3.
    But we can use turrets of the same sets as a replacement.
    It puzzles me why omni-beams are restricted in such a way yet turrets are unrestricted.
    I've been playing STO since long before Omni's were even added to the game and I still can't figure out why you can equip 8 turrets on a ship but only 3 of the above mentioned omni's - crafted, non-crafted & kcb.
    To me also, it makes no sense.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    edited December 2021
    Reputation/mission are the same group.

Balance, supposedly.
    westmetals wrote: »
    It's not a bug... it was in fact designed like this. Though most of us don't understand why.

As I pointed out earlier, balance, although I suspect programming had a part in it. Omni's are more powerful than a turret. Although the numbers may have been nerfed, these are them as I remember. A turret has a base damage of 100, heavy turret 150. A set Omni has a base damage of 175, crafted has a base of 200, the same as a beam array. While you can put 8 turrets on a ship, the performance isn't really there. Put 8 crafted Omni's on a ship and you have a very powerful beast with 360' fire power.

edited December 2021
    because if people had 360 beams all over the game would break.
    Thats not the topic. I specifically pointed this out in the first paragraph.
    This isnt about fitting a third omni, just about fitting two omnis of our choice without any nonsensical restrictions.

And no, the game would not break considering the damage numbers SOME players are capable of. Even if players of lower damage numbers would fit eight omnis it would have very little impact on the game because people still use theme builds and anything other besides whatever "meta" is right now.

Im not concinved that players would stop using set or lockbox weapons in the event of a total unlock of omnis. Which is something neither I nor players who are heavily into the game mechanics surrounding weapons are suggesting to be implemented.
    I've been playing STO since long before Omni's were even added to the game and I still can't figure out why you can equip 8 turrets on a ship but only 3 of the above mentioned omni's - crafted, non-crafted & kcb.
    To me also, it makes no sense.
    There was a reddit thread about the damage comparison.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/qk9syb/am_i_the_only_person_that_finds_omni_restrictions/
    Specifically this comment and following calculation:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/qk9syb/comment/hiv8j5a/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
    As I pointed out earlier, balance, although I suspect programming had a part in it. Omni's are more powerful than a turret.
    My problem was about gaining another set bonus. I had a damage bonus from one set by using the omni and console but couldnt get the second similar bonus through another omni and console. But I got it through a TURRET and console. In the end the design allows for multiple set boni. Just not for having the same boni AND two omnis of those sets combined. Even a few years back this was a nonsensical design because the difference between a single omni and a turret is neglicable because combining weapons like this is not very efficient.

But its not just the polaron sets that have this problem. The phaser sets have it worse because for a second set bonus you dont even have a turret as alternative. You can have the task force phaser omni + console but not the trilithium phaser omni, only console and tricobalt torp. And there is no room for that torp in an efficient phaser build.

Im not convinced that using two omnis of any combination would seriously affect the game. Especially when SOME people fight around 1mil dps these days.

So if a dev stumbles over this, please change omnis so we can use two omnis without above restrictions.
    Post edited by zarasz on
    My problem was about gaining another set bonus. I had a damage bonus from one set by using the omni and console but couldnt get the second similar bonus through another omni and console. But I got it through a TURRET and console. In the end the design allows for multiple set boni. Just not for having the same boni AND two omnis of those sets combined. Even a few years back this was a nonsensical design because the difference between a single omni and a turret is neglicable because combining weapons like this is not very efficient.

But its not just the polaron sets that have this problem. The phaser sets have it worse because for a second set bonus you dont even have a turret as alternative. You can have the task force phaser omni + console but not the trilithium phaser omni, only console and tricobalt torp. And there is no room for that torp in an efficient phaser build.

Im not convinced that using two omnis of any combination would seriously affect the game. Especially when SOME people fight around 1mil dps these days.

So if a dev stumbles over this, please change omnis so we can use two omnis without above restrictions.

The fact remains it's by design, not a bug. If you have to use a turret to achieve a second set bonus that's the trade off you have to make. Just look at some of builds on DPS League, it's not uncommon to see a odd turret in the build to get a set bonus. IF you think it should be otherwise then your post should be in the feedback section, not bugs.

a) there actually IS a trilithium turret.
    b) you could also do a dual-2pc as: trilithium omni and console, gamma chroniton torpedo and console.
    You are right, I overlooked the turret. The frustration got to me.
    Additionally, if the ship has MW spec seating, the turret can also activate the bonus from "Mixed Armaments Synergy".
    I had the same thought. But it shouldnt be necessary for players to use only certain ships to get around flawed game mechanics like this.
    Of course the turret/omni combo can be used regardless of the ship seating. But the turret is usually only useful on a beam build when you have a miracle worker for mixed armaments.

Consider theme builds. Or crazy people like me who hate turrets and cannons. Some items are just not an option and I shouldnt be "punished" like this because it feels like beam users are being punished with this nonsensical restriction. The omni should be equally unrestricted like the turret when it comes to combining it with others. Not suggesting to use more than two omnis of course.

As far as I can tell I can combine unique turrets any way I want. One of each but eight turrets in total. Same with cannons. Up to five uniques. No restruction either. But I can only combine certain omnis.

Its just... why is this still a thing? Why the devs not see this?
  • kil0#7095 kil0 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Omni weapons should not have limits. This can be adjusted and updated. The Omni weapons can never reach 1mill DPS, like some players do already, even with a 8 Omni build. DEVS, please listen to us, the players. Change unnecessary limitations, crafted and lockbox Omni weapons should never be limited, only rep and mission should be limited to 1 each respectively. It is the right thing to do.