test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what happened to the exchange?

whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 415 Arc User
i took a break and i do what i always do grind 8k dil then buy some zen so i can sell the zen on one of my other toons. has soon has i tried it didnt give me a price to click on to sell my dil so i have no clue what the price is to try to sale it. can someone tell me what happened and how it got that way. is there a way to sale my dil if so what price should i sale for
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Over time the amount of dil people built up through mass farming reached a point where it devalued dil so much that the price of dil/zen no longer fit within the limits the dilex allows. Dil is so worthless because of how much people have that they consider zen to be worth more then 500 dil/zen.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    There's too many savers versus spenders. A supply & demand thing.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Yea... supply and demand. There is too much demand for Zen and not enough demand for DL that... the market is flooded and the supply surplus of Zen we enjoyed pre pandemic is gone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Doesn't help that we've been having events all year long that get bought out, and then people grind them daily for the whole kit'n'caboodle and hoard more dilithium. And all the efforts to relieve that have been duds.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    It's dead Jim.
    It's an economy, but not as we know it.

You have to list at 500 Dil per Zen for it to eventually go through, and a this point I'd expect it to take about a week to go through. At 3 Mil Zen backlog (click the sell tab to view) it took about 6 days, but it was 3.4 Mil Zen yesterday and they just announced a new Mudd bundle, so expect at least one to two days longer now. It kinda makes listing your 8k Dil by itself pointless, as you won't be able to list a full weeks worth as there's a cap of I think 5 listings, and it appears to be first-come-first-serve for how the listings are gone through when buying. It might be more worthwhile to save up for a bit, then list instead.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    To be honest, Stock Exchange, I mean Dil Exchange is incredibly boring. Didn't care for it in Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, and I definitely didn't care for it in STO. Without a decent in-game tutorial for those who want to at least dabble in it can easily be lost. Whether it's from not knowing just how much to put on market or how much to try to charge the dil....

Heck, do most players even know there's an exchange and how it works?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    has soon has i tried it didnt give me a price to click on to sell my dil so i have no clue what the price is to try to sale it.

It doesn't recommend a price because there is a surplus of dil in the dil/ex and no Zen. For the past 7 months or so the only exchange rate that ever works is 500/1, but due to the dil surplus it will not be instant. I'm not sure how long the delay is these days (I only ever use the dilex from the other side), but it'll be at least a few hours, possibly a few days before paying players add enough zen to the dilex for your order to be processed.
    EDIT: another poster has indicated that the current wait time is longer than two weeks. Until the devs address the sil sink issue this wait period is only going to get longer.

As for the why, Cryptic has allowed players to accumulate massive stockpiles of dilithium without any meaningful sinks for them to use it on. Fleet holdings kept it down for awhile, but they were never a permanent solution and once the big fleets finished theirs it was only a matter of time before the system broke down.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    its almost as if they have been trying to push dil out of the game in order to instead push people towards buying zen with real money again.​​
    gQytlm7.jpg
    its almost as if they have been trying to push dil out of the game in order to instead push people towards buying zen with real money again.​​

People have been buying zen with real money all along, every single zen you've ever obtained through the dilex was purchased with real money (or came from a lifetime sub's stipend). The dilex is there for those who for whatever reason can't or won't buy zen directly, and most of these people either can't or won't change their mind on that just because the dilex is suddenly broken. If anything the dilex being in it's current state is probably costing Cryptic some amount of money (likely a small amount since they don't seem to have much urgency in addressing it) because those who do buy zen have no need to buy dilithium and therefore don't need as much zen as they would if dilithium had value.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    has soon has i tried it didnt give me a price to click on to sell my dil so i have no clue what the price is to try to sale it.

It doesn't recommend a price because there is a surplus of dil in the dil/ex and no Zen. For the past 7 months or so the only exchange rate that ever works is 500/1, but due to the dil surplus it will not be instant. I'm not sure how long the delay is these days (I only ever use the dilex from the other side), but it'll be at least a few hours, possibly a few days before paying players add enough zen to the dilex for your order to be processed.

As for the why, Cryptic has allowed players to accumulate massive stockpiles of dilithium without any meaningful sinks for them to use it on. Fleet holdings kept it down for awhile, but they were never a permanent solution and once the big fleets finished theirs it was only a matter of time before the system broke down.

We're at 2 weeks and counting for orders.

I proposed a new reserve system for the fleets that might help this. It allow free trade of all resources at the build discrection and priceing. any fleet resrouce is tradable. You build this new building and then trade between fleets. EC and dil both being resources can be used to trade other resources acting as a sink. Also the potential fluency from some guilds to keep their bonuses going might help sink things. And the potential of making EC to buy off the market may use up resources including dil to help act as a sink. If you make it variable enough it might work. And if you give a means for fleets to buy dil to keep their things up, including late game fleet missions, it might act as a late game sink. Allowing an actual market, in this case related to fleets only, could act as permanent sink just by allowing the resources to be distributed in a more traditional manner. At least to some extent.

BTW, this would come in the form of a new fleet building. A storage facility with trade abilities. Maybe a new location. Or if needed use the existing bases and just add a shiny trading console. It could have new tiers and trade abilities upgraded as you go and be worth having for fleets. As you would likely need to fully upgrade to get max capacity to trade.

It would at least add inter fleet trading and more reason to use a guild. Or at least more end game activity between guilds. And if it's diverse enough the ability for fleets to RP different types of fleets internally. And create unique trading hubs. This can be done with spread sheet logic. Just add all resources to a spreadsheet option window. No info is not available. Any data means you set a price. Any fleet resource can be traded for any other fleet resource. Just set the price of one to another resources and you can create a unique selling buying structure per resource per fleet.

The point being to make a relatively simple tool and let the market take care of itself. If it's fully customizable fleets will sort out the rest themselves and it could fix all markets. As it involves no change in the overall input of resources into the entire system, it's just a distribution change. This allows different habits allowing more fluent use for those who wish to put the work into it. This could change the problem via shear human habit. We have surplus of guilds needing dil and other resources to get missions done. So the problem is not available missions. It's the dil getting to the guilds itself. If you allow a freeform adjustment of the resources between guilds you could solve the problem to a large extent or completely.

BTW, the system should also allow trading between guilds. Maybe via in game screen. And/or allow players/designated fleet members to trade vai consoles. That could all be done via fleet setting and rank access. Settings could allow some players to use greater fleet resources to trade internally and use up saved EC. The consoles can allow freeform trade. That should allow diverse trading system that is adjustable per fleet.

This makes a system where players can get an invite to a fleet(the fleet can advertise or allow a new setting to auto invite to this new location) this allows a drop box solution to getting resources. You set prices and you buy from other players/fleets. This can be done between fleets to spread resources in a new manner. This would result in some fleets using up more dil more fluently without changing inputs. Just consumption of resources.

This new location could be either a fleet storage location or a fleet bazaar. Maybe in ferengi space. IE a traditional market in rts and other games. But for limited fleet resources. A unique location could be useful if it doesn't need invites. Or if fleets can set invite or lack of invites need to join their fleets instance. It could be a fleet setting. Then you just change instances and join the fleet you want to trade. Trade channels and players can do the rest. If you make everything a fleet setting then fleets will make unique instances for totally unique gameplay for the least amount of work and the most options for players/fleets diversifying the game as much as possible and making it adjustable over time. the least work for crytpic and the most benefit for the players. A simple open ended fleet oriented trade system.

The main point is you have endless fleets waiting for dil. If you supply them fluently you can get it more used up and see how much that balances the game.
    Post edited by aftulus on
    edited December 2021
    aftulus wrote: »
    Were at 2 weeks and counting for orders.

Thanks for the info, I've updated my post.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    I've been running constand 5x250 zen buys zince that period. My last onces each took around 13 days each. I'm hoping my next ones dont.

My last succesful sale was dec 9. if it holdes true my next batch will be almost christmas.
  • payback99payback99 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    The
    Over time the amount of dil people built up through mass farming reached a point where it devalued dil so much that the price of dil/zen no longer fit within the limits the dilex allows. Dil is so worthless because of how much people have that they consider zen to be worth more then 500 dil/zen.
    It's not just people that have tons that think 500 dil/zen isn't worth it. I only play for new content so I'm always low on dilithium. The only real use for dilithium is when they add the ship upgrades or if you want to upgrade gear or need it from a fleet. The problem with fleets is you can't access the good gear unless you got a max fleet. I have 14 chars and half of them are in basically dead lvl 20-65 or what ever fleets that I and other people have invested tons of time and resources into and so feel bad to leave them and let all that have been a waste. Since these chars don't need the "best" gear all I need is to upgrade one set of ok/event/good gear for them and then Dilithium is entirely worthless to them. If I can't scrounge enough dilithium from my other characters at the time I will occasionally do an exchange but thats only if I "need" the character maxed right away.

Meanwhile Zen is always useful since even if you hate the new ships coming out like I hate the discovery ones you can always use more ship/drydock slots or just saving it for the next legendary bundle or other big zen purchase.

If they removed the cap and let it shoot up to 2k per zen or what ever you can bet people like myself would be stocking up on dilithium especially if they added more dilithium uses. Hell even just making the phoenix prizes more worthwhile would get people spending more dilithium. Add old infinity ships or some lobi stuff every once in awhile cause atm the grandprize is completely worthless and even the 2nd prize is only worth it when it has the ship upgrade in it.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    well, an obvious solution is to either completely limit dil refining per account, or severely cut the sources of Dil.. like eliminating it from admiralty rewards and such. none of it appetizing but it's the way to do it. if you overeat you gain weight you want to get healthy you eliminate extra calories. the game has far too many sources of calories, aka dilithium.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    well, an obvious solution is to either completely limit dil refining per account, or severely cut the sources of Dil.. like eliminating it from admiralty rewards and such. none of it appetizing but it's the way to do it. if you overeat you gain weight you want to get healthy you eliminate extra calories. the game has far too many sources of calories, aka dilithium.

Account wide refining didn't help Neverwinter, seeing that it maxed out the Exchange sooner than STO did, so I'd doubt it'd help with the current situation. If it's one refine for the whole account's Dil pile, I'd actually be refining more than I am right now, as I've not been doing too much more than the daily for the Event, leaving most of my characters with several days of unrefined Dil each still unrefined. I doubt I'm alone in that. On top of that, there seems to be a decent amount of one character players that have a massive amount of unrefined dil, and I worry that there might be more of those than mega farmers, nullifying the change.

Cutting out the Dil calories would quickly move the problem from being hard to grind out because it's at cap to being hard to grind out because it's just hard to get...
    nixie50 wrote: »

That only hits one part of the problem, the current massive surplus and lack of demand would still need to be addressed. The demand can be addressed by introducing desirable things with a dilithium price tag on them, but the massive amount of refined dil that currently exists is a trickier issue to tackle. The devs have mentioned that one idea they've considered is a purchasable vanity ability that summons a massive dilithium moon non-combat pet with an astronomical price tag as a means of getting rid of the massive stockpiles of dil some people have built up.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    Maybe it's more difficult to entice players to spend rather than save?
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    it just strikes me as weird that if supply and demand were the *only* issue here, why not just make the ui able to show prices over 500? I don't like the idea of inflation here but it seems like it would be an easy fix to keep the exchange working, rather than, you know... Having the whole thing come to a grinding halt. I've had the same Dil on sale for 500 for about two weeks, and it's still not sold.

I've also had the UI swap from selling Dil to buying Dil, when i hit the make offer button, so i really just don't trust that the UI is working as it should be. Now that the Sell Dil is a blank screen, it's made it VERY obvious when it happens, rather than a "did that just happen?" kind of thing. It's only happened twice, now but still....

It just seems like an easy fix that just isn't being fixed.
  • naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    it just strikes me as weird that if supply and demand were the *only* issue here, why not just make the ui able to show prices over 500? I don't like the idea of inflation here but it seems like it would be an easy fix to keep the exchange working, rather than, you know... Having the whole thing come to a grinding halt. I've had the same Dil on sale for 500 for about two weeks, and it's still not sold.
    IIRC they tried that in Neverwiner and the price of Astral Diamonds rose to the new cap in like days, causing the whole thing to grind right back to a halt.
This discussion has been closed.