test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Launcher Won't Update

For the last day I have not been able to connect to the game through either ARC or the game client. It hangs up and the furthest I have gotten is the list of my characters and then it craps out. I am a lifetime subscriber, have played eleven years and this is the first time I have ever had this issue. I am updated and current on all my drivers, have 32 Gigs of RAM, a Ryzen 5 CPU. This should not be happening.
Fleet Admiral of The Lost boys

"Dreams are born in the deepest of minds, and destroyed in the shallowest of ones."

Comments

• pmsattlerpmsattler Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    This is absolutely crazy. I reinstalled it and it still does not work, and another post wants me to do all kinds of tracerts and stuff but I am not even that tech savvy. Why am I doing a devs job?

Maybe it is time I just hang up my Captain's coat and call it quits on this game.
    Fleet Admiral of The Lost boys

"Dreams are born in the deepest of minds, and destroyed in the shallowest of ones."
  • chujozaurchujozaur Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Don't give up. I know you said you're not tech savvy, but maybe you have a friend who is? Ask them to do a Windows rollback from a local backup point (they are usually created automatically with each Windows update). Or maybe try to google it? I face a launcher crash every couple of STO/Cryptic updates. I try everything and nothing works. And then I do the Windows rollback (I usually have a few days old restoration point, so nothing is lost). Works. Every. F**king. Time. It's ridiculous. It turns out, some Windows updates are just not compatible with STO/Cryptic updates. At least for me. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I take it back xD It is broken xD
    Post edited by chujozaur on
  • chujozaurchujozaur Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I think I figured it out. I had to download the x64 version of the game on a different computer, wiped my main PC off of any traces of STO and reinstalled it, but did not update. I copy/pasted the x64 fully updated installation from the other PC to the x64 game folder on the main computer. I then launched the x86 not updated version, changed the game path in the launcher to the x64 version, removed the x86 files and viola! It works!

I know this might not help you, but maybe someone can help you using my solution.
  • jr9008#1208 jr9008 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Mine just says "patching" but no download bar, percentage,etc. However if I do crt+x it shows files being I guess "downloaded"? Whats going on? Do I just let it run? I'm confused, I am a hopeful returning player and want to try the new stuff out.
  • panda002811panda002811 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I had to do a factory reset for my computer and I'm having this issue now too. When I open the ctrl+x it says thing's are being downloaded but it keeps timing out and saying the connection was lost or something. My internet is fine too :/