test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Q's Winter Wonderland!

Comments

• tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    So they’re always making bat’leths or lirpa’s because there is no energy blade one handed sword to copypastarehue?

Or did Star Wars ban them from making lightsaber analogues?
    Look away from my Crystalline Sword please when it absorbs energy:
    ?

My first mmo (Rest In Peace Tabula Rasa) had cryoswords, but they were solid and dealt cryodamage.
    That’s mostly what I want to find, a one handed sword that deals cryodamage, not an lightsaber expy,

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,933 Arc User
    About 1 year ago, we got a sword of fire, so an ice sword might not be too hard to imagine us having at some stage.
    Tying it to the upcoming Breen armor set might be something we'll see at Winter 2022....?
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    So they’re always making bat’leths or lirpa’s because there is no energy blade one handed sword to copypastarehue?

Or did Star Wars ban them from making lightsaber analogues?
    Look away from my Crystalline Sword please when it absorbs energy:
    ?

My first mmo (Rest In Peace Tabula Rasa) had cryoswords, but they were solid and dealt cryodamage.
    That’s mostly what I want to find, a one handed sword that deals cryodamage, not an lightsaber expy,

I don't think Disney could actually make that stick since things like energy swords, energy whips, etc. have been around for a long time in sci-fi (especially crossover sci-fi/fantasy like Andre Norton and a few others often wrote) and predate Star Wars. Of course, that might not stop Disney from setting loose their attack lawyers to try and bully anyone from trying to use those kinds of things in stories.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Good lord - is ANY thread safe from turning into yet another discussion about how the latest 32c ship looks like something else and is terrible?

Well the ship has a err distinct look as do most of the 32c ships.
    Some may love it, but i am not one of them.

That said, the amount of comments on how the discovery/32c ship look is growing out of proportions and is becoming tiresome.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • brex#6815 brex Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Good lord - is ANY thread safe from turning into yet another discussion about how the latest 32c ship looks like something else and is terrible?

That said, the amount of comments on how the discovery/32c ship look is growing out of proportions and is becoming tiresome.

Well if you don't want to see such comments either Cryptic needs to stop making them or you need to stop visiting the forums.
    brex#6815 wrote: »

Well if you don't want to see such comments either Cryptic needs to stop making them or you need to stop visiting the forums.

Or people could act as adults and show some restraint.
    Sometimes it's prudent to keep your opinion to yourself instead of continuing a rant. Whoever the shoe fits..
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Ground set looks interesting. Still hoping for a cryo mortar kit module in the future.
    Indeed, why doesn't this exist already? Come to think of it, more than four years ago I'd pondered something similar being a bonus ability from a theoretical 'Cryonic Assault/Soldat d'Hiver' ground set.

And yes, tilarta, there is no good excuse for the lack of corresponding nanopulse swords (or lirpas). And if they're not going to make that theoretical ground set... why not follow in the vein of certain space sets and have a weapon choice for the set (armor/shield/frame/(CRM OR pistol OR cryoblade) as brought up here? Come to think of it, if the 'glacial nanopulse bat'leth' does in fact do cold damage, perhaps it's better off being referred to as a 'cryoblade bat'leth' to set it apart?
    Well, since we’re discussing cryodamage, it’s about time they fixed a specific oversight relating to it, namely Borg Adaption.
    An episode of Enterprise established that freezing temperatures adversely affect the Borg, so a cryoweapon should be something they have no resistance to.
    It’s actually a simple fix, just move cryodamage to kinetic categorization and the Borg won’t adapt to it.

From a technological standpoint, it seems ludicrous, there is no energy involved, the weapon is simply causing an signifcant decrease in ambient temperature causing ice to form in the targeted area, there is no frequency to adapt to or whatever the Borg do to resist energy weapons,

Yes, the weapon sets do need to be more flexible.
    I think there’s also a full-auto cryorifle (probably from the Tholian reputation) that would also serve as a compatible weapon for this set.
    My goto setup is one ranged weapon (usually a sniper rifle), one melee weapon.
    Because the weapon tied to the set is often of a type I don’t use (pistol in this case), it means I have to forgo the 3rd/complete bonus loadout.

As an aside, that’s something I find odd in this game, Tabula Rasa and Mass Effect allowed you to carry 5 weapons.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    Well, since we’re discussing cryodamage, it’s about time they fixed a specific oversight relating to it, namely Borg Adaption.
    An episode of Enterprise established that freezing temperatures adversely affect the Borg, so a cryoweapon should be something they have no resistance to.
    It’s actually a simple fix, just move cryodamage to kinetic categorization and the Borg won’t adapt to it.

From a technological standpoint, it seems ludicrous, there is no energy involved, the weapon is simply causing an signifcant decrease in ambient temperature causing ice to form in the targeted area, there is no frequency to adapt to or whatever the Borg do to resist energy weapons,

I think there’s also a full-auto cryorifle (probably from the Tholian reputation) that would also serve as a compatible weapon for this set.
    Because the weapon tied to the set is often of a type I don’t use (pistol in this case), it means I have to forgo the 3rd/complete bonus loadout.

As an aside, that’s something I find odd in this game, Tabula Rasa and Mass Effect allowed you to carry 5 weapons.

To be honest, moving cryo damage to kinetic would break more than it fixes.
    That said, Borg adaptation is still awkward in its implementation after all these years.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited December 2021

That is what I have to do with Imperial Assault ground set, which is a shame since I like the purple glow they make and being able to launch more drones is very handy. For that I usually have the armor, shield, and pistol but drop the Aakar bat'leth, which is as useless as all the other bat'leths since it lacks a closer, and substitute J'Ula's mek'leths which have reasonably modern melee scripts (including the closer).

A lot of my characters still use the Red Angel + Sompek shield and gun, or one of the rep ground sets, or a mission set.

Unfortunately, I expect the winter's bat'leth to be just as dysfunctional as all the rest of them since I doubt that they have come up with anything like a modern melee script for it. On the other hand, the set itself looks like it could be good.
  • toraknutoraknu Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    The Eisenberg ? really ?
    must be another generation of designers.... sorry
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    toraknu wrote: »
    The Eisenberg ? really ?
    must be another generation of designers.... sorry

It's mostly for a few reasons that make sense with how the game design works. The first thing is that a lot of the content is built as a for fun basis rather than an actual grind. Then a lot of the rewards like the nano pulse is a homage to lightsaber weapons which are not made to make money off of. Finally, you have the aspect that many of the Star Trek Alumni mostly just record the requested voice overs and collect their money without actually ever going to their studio. However, the individual this is named after not only actually went to Cryptic but was instrumental in making things look perfect from the perspective of someone who spent a lot of years basically living inside the sets of the show DS9. Plus, as far as my knowledge goes the only alumni who has even played the game.

So, it makes perfect sense why they would do this being the ship in Discovery was in honor of him. Being how much time, he helped put into the development of content in this game. Even furthermore was an actual player like the rest of us it just makes perfect sense why this is the event ship. Finally, though if they put this in a lockbox or promotion pack people would be claiming they were trying to profit from his passing.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I don't believe he was the only one - pretty sure Wil Wheaton played STO too...maybe still does.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Cryo Mortars... HELL YEAH! Those definitely need to be a thing!

32nd Century ships aren't for everyone but that doesn't mean someone else won't like it. As much as I personally don't, I know others that are looking forward to owning their first 32nd Century ship. I would have preferred the Breen Capitol Ship that can be hard to find in the long forgotten Breen Story Arc or even another Mirror Universe ship. Maybe the 12th Anniversary ship will be more to mine or other people's liking.

Either way, the Winter Event is one of the few things STO has ever done, that I really enjoy. The event doesn't take a lot of effort to get your daily progress, the Ornaments can be saved up for the following year. There are plenty of different things to do. Sadly, Ferengi Yoda has never made a return though.
    Why stop there?
    Cryoturrets, cryodrones?

For me personally, any content relating to Discovery is irrevalent, as I have never seen the show, so I have no frame of reference for anything that they added based on that show.
    That includes whatever ships they source.

Why stop there?
    Cryoturrets, cryodrones?

For me personally, any content relating to Discovery is irrevalent, as I have never seen the show, so I have no frame of reference for anything that they added based on that show.
    That includes whatever ships they source.

More Cryo anything would be good in my opinion.

Most people haven't read the Destiny novels either but we have the Aventine. Personally, it still is one of my favorite ship designs to see and use in the game. Whether or not it's a ship I like or not from a series I like or not. The more choice in game for everyone, the better.
    I would prefer a new solo event, the race is getting boring.
    Especially as 80% of the time, my opponent is a spider and they are cheaters.

Something non-competitive preferably, where you just have to finish a task.
    Like a scavenger hunt perhaps, where you have to find trinkets in 10 locations, but there’s like 40 locations and the 10 items are randomized where they appear.
    Could also have a surprise event, like being attacked by a snowman while searching.

• mrscomanchemrscomanche Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Quite looking forward to the Winter event.... but I do wish they'd add something new for us to do to it. The last time they did that was 2017, when they added the Kramp'iri.

Would nice if they would give us bob sleds for winter wonderland and have a event like bob sled race
  • mrscomanchemrscomanche Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    snake#9340 wrote: »
    I want the Agimus ugly sweater. Now!

Would like to see bob sleds in winter wonderland with bob sled race
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    snake#9340 wrote: »
    I want the Agimus ugly sweater. Now!

Would like to see bob sleds in winter wonderland with bob sled race

That's actually a nice idea. I just worry that Q would decide that the sled be made from a guy named Bob.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
    Or maybe a talking sled named Bob?
    Bob: You're taking that turn too fast! Slow down!

I like the idea of Bob sledding, but no racing please, that means we have compete against an NPC or a group of players.

What about a snowboarding exhibition course?
    That could be done solo, just go down the hill doing tricks and stunts.
    Maybe have a score grading system, the more tricks, stunts and air time gained, you get some bonus Christmas ornaments per score level.

As a bonus, they could sell us snowboards, like the Risian surfboards, with bonuses for quality, like air time, speed, etc.
    Plus, they could sell patterns too.
    @snake#9340 Do you want to preorder an Agimus snowboard?

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Or maybe a talking sled named Bob?
    Bob: You're taking that turn too fast! Slow down!

I like the idea of Bob sledding, but no racing please, that means we have compete against an NPC or a group of players.
    "Rose Bob..."

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    It just occurred to me, why didn't they give us a different kind of cosmetic pet this year, a big eared Egg named Nog?
    Think about it.

I tried on a Fed and KDF and there is no signs of the Agimus and Dog sweaters.

Literally unplayable. XD
    #TASforSTO
    Checked on my Romulan, same result.
    Badgey and Chu Hu only/

edited December 2021

Note that despite following the account, I only just found out about this. And purely through sheer luck because I was looking for something else on my timeline.

And no info on the Agimus one, though it can be assumed it's the same bug.
    #TASforSTO
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Well, my Andorian will have a field day with that ground set - I already have him set up with cold stuff.​​

I plan to do something similar but with my toon that I used that lobi Breen costume on.
This discussion has been closed.