test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shatner in game:

Comments

• millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I'd rather that money be spent on a better person than William Shatner, unless the Overview Effect he experienced when going into space changed him for the better.

That money going toward hiring another developer to help out (I heard that when one quits or moves on, they don't replace them, and the smaller team gets even more overworked), or paying the current ones more for their hard work, would be better than hearing William Shatner's bad acting.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    truewarper wrote: »
    He has become too expensive too...

Really? How much does he cost?
    Considering he appeared in the 2 Wonder Woman movies, in Into the Spider-Verse, in the upcoming (hopefully for real this time) Kelvin Timeline movie, got many nominations and several wins in various awards and is reported to play Walter Leland (HA!) Cronkite, AKA "the most trusted man in America" in an upcoming drama film, I'd wager the answer would be:

A freaking lot, way beyond STO's budget.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I don't really blame him because he gave him a lot more opportunities to stop what he was doing that was unwanted. So, if that makes him a TRIBBLE well, I am a TRIBBLE too lol.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Considering he appeared in the 2 Wonder Woman movies, in Into the Spider-Verse, in the upcoming (hopefully for real this time) Kelvin Timeline movie, got many nominations and several wins in various awards and is reported to play Walter Leland (HA!) Cronkite, AKA "the most trusted man in America" in an upcoming drama film, I'd wager the answer would be:

I never suggested otherwise. I simply asked how much, since people here seem to know. Also, could you enlighten us as to hwat Cryptic's budget is for VO work so we can compare?
    If I was a Klingon, I could cut this passive-aggressiveness with a bat'leth.

But I'm not one so no.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    If I was a Klingon, I could cut this passive-aggressiveness with a bat'leth.

But I'm not one so no.

What is passive aggressive about asking a question?

It's obvious that when people are saying "too much" they mean "a whole bunch of money" not "I know that it is exactly $1 million per day of Chris Pine voice acting work for STO."

But you knew that already.

• truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    truewarper wrote: »
    He has become too expensive too...

Really? How much does he cost?

Getting an actual estimate is a bit tricky.

But here are some numbers...Networth for this year, is at 30 million dollars.

His credentials listed as Actor, Voice Actor.

His latest pay out, was for the New upcoming Dungeon & Dragon movie at 11.5 million dollars.

Now, it is not possible to ascertain his pay for voice acting. But came across an estimation to how much he earns, if correct. Based on projection from late 2020 to 2021.

1. Per Year Salary/Income
    2. Yearly-$4 Millon
    3. Per Month $32,000
    4. Per Week $8,000.

Here is a site that talks about VA rates https://gravyforthebrain.com/how-much-do-voice-actors-make/

I believe the last part can answer your question. Scroll down a bit.
    Post edited by truewarper on
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

While I agree he wouldn't be cheap, I think his schedule would be a bigger issue.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    Yeah, I think he left off a 0 there, because 4m divided by 12 is around 333,000$ - so not far off from 320,000.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Yeah, I think he left off a 0 there, because 4m divided by 12 is around 333,000$ - so not far off from 320,000.​​

Actually no, that was the site's original writing...copied directly.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Star Trek Beyond had 4 months of filming - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Beyond

If D&D is similar and you add one month for promotional work then Pine is making over $2 million per month for it. STO probably can't afford $500K for a week of his time.

Maybe he'd do a "Kirk(urland) Here!" for $50K?
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    you know what? just do Kirk and recast a VA. the did it for Castillo in Temp Ambassador. you can change the face enough to still be Kirk and not infringe on Shatner
    Spock.jpg

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    you know what? just do Kirk and recast a VA. the did it for Castillo in Temp Ambassador. you can change the face enough to still be Kirk and not infringe on Shatner

Like merging the faces of both Kirks? Maybe make it clone like shinzon.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User

Like merging the faces of both Kirks? Maybe make it clone like shinzon.

I suspect they would still infringe on the rights and require alot of money. I suspect Kirk, even a 1% close likeness to him used in official storylines would bring the copyright hammer hard.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User

I never suggested otherwise. I simply asked how much, since people here seem to know. Also, could you enlighten us as to hwat Cryptic's budget is for VO work so we can compare?

You make too much sense. There's people declaring Shatner to be too expensive yet he has done many fan projects but he works from an old rule book he has to be approached with respect. That's something millennials have trouble understanding.
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    You guys don't need to make excuses for STO....

1- You don't know what Shatner's rates are for voice work. You just don't. And that's okay not to know something (many of you seem to have issues with that concept.)

2- STO offended Shatner when an employee put him in a no-win scenario on Twitter. Think about it... if Shatner said yes to the offer to be in game on a twitter feed it would have caused him to lose negotiating power as a business man. If he said no (which he never did) he would be seen as a bad guy. So instead he blocked the STO rep and said to someone else that official channels are approriate. (Cryptic/STO has not approached Shatner via official channels as far as I know.)

3- When STO launched Shatner was not the lead in star trek and hadn't been for almost a decade and a half! So Kirk wasn't the focus early on in this game and that makes sense.

The game has gotten more popular since they began bringing screen accurate content in.
    Many players were not present during launch. I was. I recall how different STO was. It was still the most star trek we had gotten in a game in a long time so I LOVED it, but I did notice the original game designs felt generic and like knock off star trek.
    As the dev's brought in more screen accurate stuff the game's popularity and success increased. That isn't a coincidence...

Kirk is a legendary central figure (even archetypal) to star trek and should be in this game.
    Why anyone would argue against it is bizarre....

If Dev's want to explain to me that they've tried to reach out to Shatner and tried in good faith and he doesn't want to be a part of this game- then fine. But I'm listening to one of his books he wrote in the late 1990's and not only did he and his co-author come up with combining Borg with Romulan tech, he also revived kirk using borg technology.... VERY similar to a story line STO was playing with early on... I suspect STO originally was leaning toward bringing Shatner in game via his book's lore, but the timing wasn't right for whatever reason.

I hope we can get Kirk and proper movie era ship interior as well as a final sendoff story for Kirk.
    Shatner is still in the news from going to space. Lets jump on this before it's too late.
  • adamspire#9038 adamspire Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    This is telling you that STO has little to do with Star Trek any more other than the staple items and missions it keeps in game. William Shatner knows who holds the keys to what ever star trek is now, and he want's no part of it. Frankly, I don't blame him.
  • adamspire#9038 adamspire Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Just ask Vic Mignogna, he's the best for the job.
    Mignogna WAS in the game before his characters (Amiral Garret and Somat) were recast due to what he did.

The so called evidence against him was bull TRIBBLE and never proven. Vic was convicted by word of mouth and not by a judge and jury. Much like what happens on an internet forum, sadly.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Vic was convicted by word of mouth

He may not have been put on trial, but he DID file defamation cases against his accusers and the judge both dismissed the cases AND ordered that he pay the accusers $223k to cover their legal fees. That right there tells me there was likely some substance to the allegations, and while I don't know the ins and outs of the case (I hadn't even heard of him until I saw a Reddit post complaining about his removal from STO) it's possible that the statute of limitations played a role in him not being arrested. Again I don't know the details of these specific allegations and what evidence exists, but the unfortunate reality of cases like this is that people with overwhelming evidence against them will get away with it without any legal ramifications if the statute of limitations says that it's been too long to bring charges.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    The so called evidence against him was bull TRIBBLE and never proven.

Most of the allegations were dropped afaik, but once somebody has that stigma attached to himself it can be difficult to move on - no matter the outcome of further hearings etc.

When in doubt, there's room for remption IMO. But that's just my personal opinion.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I remember hearing that ages ago STO's first community manager did something to annoy Shatner to the point Shatner blocked him. I've never seen the proof of that but If its true I doubt Shatner would want to be in STO. And as Dragon said, I doubt they could afford him anyways with his ego.

Yeah that was branflakes and it did actually happen. He kept hounding shatner to get involved with STO on twitter in a way that came off as a trolling and passive aggressive fan type and shatner was having none of it, blocked him and then posted a screenshot showing he blocked him with a displeased comment and those screenshots ended up somewhere on the forums at some point. He made it pretty clear in no uncertain terms he had no interest or intention of having anything to do with STO after that incident. You'd think a community manager would know better than the behave like that. and like you said cryptic would never be able to afford him even if he was willing to forget about that incident

This was the 'incident' you refer to:
    O6ZXB9s.jpg

And I, personally, couldn't care less about Shatner's Kirk appearing in the game. Shatner's ego, and the payment he'd expect, are too massive for the game. He's an overrated, massively arrogant, bore and the game loses nothing by not having him in it.

It would never work anyway - our character is supposed to be the hero of the story and there is no way on god's earth Shatner would tolerate a story where the universe doesn't revolve around, and isn't saved by, Kirk.

Thanks for the memories!

Personally, BranFlakes got what he deserved and was the worst community manager this game has ever seen. Yes, I am aware of the current community manager but he was even worse than that in his own obnoxious and conceited ways! Kael finally seems to be learning how to proof read. Brandon could never get his head unstuck from being so far up his own rear and cost the game a chance at having one of the biggest names in Star Trek to ever grace the game with their talents.

I would love to see Shatner contribute to this game but it takes a lot of effort and a sizeable donation to Shatner's charity to get a chance at being off of his bad side and then you have the man's epic fees for his legendary services. Ultimately, the cost of Shatner to be added to the game in a voiced capacity probably could fund the game and team for years. It's PWE's decision on what their money is best spent on to keep this game going and profitable.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    We would love to have Shatner in our game. Hopefully some day. As a few have pointed out here, there's some...history there, and also he commands a bit of a higher price. But you never know.
This discussion has been closed.