test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

SIMPLIFY - Interstellar Travel

I've been getting back into the game lately and I've really been enjoying myself. There has been some systems though that have drug that enjoyment down and honestly kept me from coming back earlier. There are too many systems of complexity in the game. I plan to offer some suggestions on how I think the game could be changed to keep its current balance but remove items that I see as unnecessary. I'm very ignorant and I'm an outsider looking in so please give me context where I lack it.

MIXING COMBAT STATS WITH TRAVEL STATS
This is my largest complaint with this system or mechanic. It seems silly to me that in order to travel quickly in the galaxy we have to install a whole new warp core only to do the same before a battle. These mechanics should be divorced from each other. Just like in any other MMO your travel speed is, in most cases, tied to a mount. while that would not be the case here you could create a dedicated slot/s for interstellar travel.

SHOULD IT EXSIST?
Ever since Destiny 2 I question the travel mechanic in MMOs. I have found that and many others are willing to pay money to look at our cool ships traveling through the galaxy. If the current Iteration of interstellar travel was removed and replaced with a high resolution animation of our ship moving at light speed with some camera pans while the loading screen happened in the back ground I'd be over joyed even if my loading was longer than it was before. Loading screens break the illusion.

D2 STYLE LOADING SCREEN
If this was implemented devs could still make money by offering items that change the effects of the space travel. TOS warp verse TNG verses Movie... etc etc...

OLD SCHOOL RANDOM ENCOUNTERS
Just like the Star Trek episodes present unexpected events, users should be able to look at the menu and be presented with Random encounters - Anomalies, distress calls, attacks... Much like it is now only we wouldn't be able to see it clearly on a map. We would just be notified if the random roll alerted us to the opportunity. Players would then have the option to drop out of warp to engage.

MAP REVAMP
In line with everything else I've written here I would love to see maps that help to give the notion of 3 dimensional interstellar travel. Not just a dot moving across a 2D plane. Currently I don't think this is possible, but if the entire system was changed you could allude to a complex path your ship has to travel IE 3D map.

Comments

• hyperhydra#4469 hyperhydra Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Yes! Of your three recent suggestion posts, this is one I can get behind. Warp travel in STO has never felt like warp travel on the shows and doesn't add to the Star Trek feel for me - I avoid it with the use of transwarps whenever I can. If warp travel was taken away, I'd only miss the Tour The Galaxy mission, which is a useful source of EC for both new players and veterans. I like your idea of replacing it with an animation of our ship, and to interrupt with optional random encounters. A 3D map would be wonderful.
  • shyraven#4219 shyraven Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    I like the idea of a D2-style loading screen. The other two things seem like they'd be too much effort to actually be implemented.