test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Undine continuity

jarenkincaidjarenkincaid Member Posts: 117 Arc User
So, after the Academy mission series, you have Diplomatic Orders, in which mission you have to collect the Vulcan diplomat using a shuttle because, as it turns out, he's an Undine (Species 8472) imposter, and so can't risk being identified as such by the transporter pattern buffer. OK... so how come when you beam off the Dyson sphere with Doctor Eric Cooper in A Step Between Stars, he ISN'T identified as an Undine infiltrator?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Plot hole, or they got better at disguising themselves so that didn't work?

Didn't we beam Cooper off of the escape pods in "Fluid Dynamics" mission, and we didn't catch it there either?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Maybe the one impersonating Sokketh didn't think to use their psionic abilities to manipulate the minds of the transporter operators so any odd readings would've been ignored and subsequently erased by them and the one impersonating Cooper did...or maybe the former COULDN'T, since they were Vulcans. The Undine are psionically strong, but not that strong, despite their claims to the contrary, and other psionically gifted races might be able to resist any attempts at manipulation enough that such a move wouldn't work.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Didn't they find the body of the real Vulcan as we arrived at P'Jem?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    So, after the Academy mission series, you have Diplomatic Orders, in which mission you have to collect the Vulcan diplomat using a shuttle because, as it turns out, he's an Undine (Species 8472) imposter, and so can't risk being identified as such by the transporter pattern buffer. OK... so how come when you beam off the Dyson sphere with Doctor Eric Cooper in A Step Between Stars, he ISN'T identified as an Undine infiltrator?
    It's not actually confirmed Undine can be detected with the transporter pattern buffer and in the same mission, when the impostor does beam down, the officer warning you doesn't say it detected Undine DNA or whatever they have, just that the ambassador beamed down.

My first guess is this Undine avoided transporters because he thought they might compromise him, but transporters actually can't spot them. He just took too many precautions for nothing and didn't get the memo.

My other related guess is at first Undine were supposed to be spotted with transporters but Cryptic either forgot or decided it'd bring too many questions about how Undine would manage to infiltrate 2 quadrants who use transporters all the time.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    well, as long as cooper was on the station, he had plenty of time to override the detection systems in the transporter, he sorta made an ID saying he was 21 when he was 15 to get into the bar ;)
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.