test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please....ENOUGH with Discovery!

2»

Comments

• hayasdanhayasdan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    hayasdan wrote: »
    I started watching Captain Archer Enterprise again this week and even almost 20 years old it blows Discovery right out of the water. That tongue-in-cheek bantering happy-go-lucky crew is so much more enjoyable than permanent drama totally emotional gendering-hammer Burnham and her menagerie...
    And the ships in there are trekky... Are there not some that could still come here? Like that alien ship in s1e3...

What alien ship? S1e3 happened on the Enterprise, the surface of a planet, and in a cave. No other ships.

I beg to differ. This is what I was talking about:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Unnamed_Alpha_and_Beta_Quadrant_starships_(22nd_century)#Triglobulin_harvester.27s_starship
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I am all for the Discovery era missions, I like all iterations of Trek.. but I will agree that the 32c ships are terrible.

I am a fan of the show, but the only ship I kind of like in Discovery is the Discovery itself, and even that is just ok. There was a ship in the newest episode, the U.S.S. Credence that I actually kind of liked. It had the 32c theme, but it had a couple attached nacelles similar to the ones on the Eclipse from STO. It was a bit odd.. but weirdly it kind of worked.

I'll agree that enough is enough with the stupid looking ships, but as for the story missions themselves, we have been out of the 'Discovery Era' for some time, so the OP is really just ranting about lock box ships. The Discovery Content we had was good (in my opinion) but they have moved on from it.

Outside of ugly lock box ships which are easily ignored, the game hasn't been pushing Discovery at all.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Well I take your point. The problem with the Discovery ships is they outsourced the designs to a generic design company. Discovery has made huge mistakes. I listened to Robert Meyer Burnett read the original Brian Fuller script and even just the reading of the script filled me with a trek feeling!!!

The designs and ships were going to be a lot more authentic to original canon and the series would be dark but still very trek- the first two episodes of discovery still had that "feel" because the Shenzhou and crew were somewhat the original Fuller script and dialogue.

The ships in star trek are supposed to be characters in and of themselves. Discovery fails majorly here. I do like the Janeway class and the minty phasers. I could do without Postmodern uniforms that look like Communist costumes. The future starfleet doesn't look like the benevolent federation we know and Love.

That's my main gripe with Discovery too. Ships are basically cardboard cutouts that are part of the scenery, and optimism and ideas of morality are absent from the show. They got rid of the two characteristics that made Star Trek unique and different from almost any other scify show. And then they turned it into something generic and forgettable. The same is true for ship designs. Somebody on reddit said the other day that he really liked the Eisenberg and that it reminded him of 3-4 other ships from different franchises. And I agree. These 32nd century ships are so unspecific, they could appear in any other scify franchise without even raising an eyebrow.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    I think Ambassador Kael said it best:

"The general rule that I have found is that the same people that get upset about any Discovery ship are the same people that complain about everything else that they've ever changed on that show. If there's anything that's even slightly different from TNG it's wrong and bad"
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User

"The general rule that I have found is that the same people that get upset about any Discovery ship are the same people that complain about everything else that they've ever changed on that show. If there's anything that's even slightly different from TNG it's wrong and bad"

I don't get upset with Discovery. Have watched every episode to date. Over time it simply seems like it may not be the show for me. I very much like that there's a couple new ST shows airing with another en route. I do think it's added some diversity to the game.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User

It's not that. Kael is getting comments coming from all kinds of people, those who don't like the ships, those who don't like the story, those who don't like the characters, those who are frustrated over persistent bugs and those who don't like aspects of a mission. And he just shrugs and says "those people" don't like anything that is different. A very juvenile way to deal with criticism, in my opinion.

It's the same with ships. Some people ask for more Discovery ships, and when Cryptic makes them, some people are upset they made more Discovery ships. That doesn't mean that "people don't know what they want and we should stop listening to them". It means that different people have different preferences.
  • michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    I get that some people like that show (not me though), and I understand that you have to promote it for CBS/Viacom.....
    But many of us are paying lifetime subscribers. Been here since 2010. All I ask is that you lay off the Discovery stuff a bit and make the game more diverse. Personally, the Wrath of Khan era is virtually unexplored and I'd love to see more of it. But really ANYTHING other that Discovery. I can't be the other only with Discovery-Fatigue.

I wholeheartedly agree with the original post. Discovery does not really fit into the STO "world" anyway. So a big +1.
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It's not that. Kael is getting comments coming from all kinds of people, those who don't like the ships, those who don't like the story, those who don't like the characters, those who are frustrated over persistent bugs and those who don't like aspects of a mission. And he just shrugs and says "those people" don't like anything that is different. A very juvenile way to deal with criticism, in my opinion.

Not at all. I am the last person to defend Kael, but he's right.. it's juvenile at best. Cryptic doesn't design these ships, they don't write the Discovery show, CBS and PWE want these ships in game.. they go in game. Complaining to Kael is just proof that the people doing it have no understanding at all of how things work and are just looking for any outlet they can find to complain about Discovery. Juvenile is actually a very good way to describe them.

Most of us agree, the ship design in Discovery leaves a lot to be desired. Even as someone that likes the shows, I get where people are coming from, I don't like any of these ships either. But barking at Cryptic about it does nothing, they are told what goes in the game and they do it. They put the ugly ships in the shows.. the ugly ships go into the game. Again though, they're all lockbox, so it's easy to ignore. The only people that this really effects are the 2 people on the planet that actually like these ships because they're insanely expensive to acquire.

Story wise, the game is not currently pushing Discovery content at all, this complaint at the current time is only valid for lock box ships which are easily ignored. But of course, it's a tangent for people to scream about how much they hate Discovery.. so here we are.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    I just mock lightly and go on my way, because as RNGesus does not favor me I shall never own the USS Sanitized For Your Protection here, or the USS Which Way Is Forward?, or the USS Scrapyard In Formation, or any of the other 32nd-century craft we see in-game.

(I like DSC, but the ship designs sometimes border on the silly. And sometimes they skip merrily across that border and go to play in the distant Meadows of Ludicrousness.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    although, while we would never get a true and honest reply, i wonder how well the sales have been on the disco ships. i mean, i see the janeway, the kirk, and the mainstay disco enterprise, but very rarely do i see anything else.
    I doubt such data even exists for the 32c ships. Most, if not all of them, were added to the Infinity box rather than being given their own themed lockbox. All they can say is that people opened X number of Infinity boxes. I suppose they could try to correlate that with how many people claimed a 32c ship as the prize, but correlation does not equal causation. Just because someone chose one of those ships doesn't mean that it was the reason they opened the box in the first place.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I started watching Captain Archer Enterprise again this week and even almost 20 years old it blows Discovery right out of the water. That tongue-in-cheek bantering happy-go-lucky crew is so much more enjoyable than permanent drama totally emotional gendering-hammer Burnham and her menagerie...
    And the ships in there are trekky... Are there not some that could still come here? Like that alien ship in s1e3...

What alien ship? S1e3 happened on the Enterprise, the surface of a planet, and in a cave. No other ships.

I beg to differ. This is what I was talking about:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Unnamed_Alpha_and_Beta_Quadrant_starships_(22nd_century)#Triglobulin_harvester.27s_starship

I see the confusion here. The Triglobulan Harvester was from s1e2 Fight or Flight, not s1e3 Strange New World. The first episode was a two-hour pilot movie that like most modern shows has the option to split it into two hour-long segments for ease in doing reruns. It is kind of annoying in that it can cause problems like this, but it makes business sense, so they do it.

I agree that the harvester would make an interesting ship.

That is itself such a sweeping overgeneralization that it is literally a classic fallacy.

• duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    I understand it's the ONLY new Trek out there to use. But I hate the show. I hate the ship designs & their disconnected parts. I really hope Discovery gets cancelled soon so Cryptic can move on to doing their own stuff again. I have more faith in them than the Discovery writers.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »
    although, while we would never get a true and honest reply, i wonder how well the sales have been on the disco ships. i mean, i see the janeway, the kirk, and the mainstay disco enterprise, but very rarely do i see anything else.
    I doubt such data even exists for the 32c ships. Most, if not all of them, were added to the Infinity box rather than being given their own themed lockbox. All they can say is that people opened X number of Infinity boxes. I suppose they could try to correlate that with how many people claimed a 32c ship as the prize, but correlation does not equal causation. Just because someone chose one of those ships doesn't mean that it was the reason they opened the box in the first place.

They definitely can look at the percent of 32c being claimed vs. other ships.

Yes, it's possible that some of the people claiming them were not opening boxes for a ship, but that applies to all of the other ships claimed too.

If it's 20% 32c vs. 1% Vaadwaur then it's very likely that 32c is adding to key sales at roughly 20x the rate Vaadwaur ships do.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Ok guys... I gave you some time to vent, but this is descending into the "hate Discovery rant" zone, which has the potential to draw out the gatekeepers and start flame wars. So I'm gonna go ahead and close this. To those who have kept a cool head, thank you.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.