test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Screen on Startup

After hitting "Engage" on the launcher, screen goes black. Have the STO Mouse Pointer, but that's it. It hangs on the black screen indefinitely. Have restarted computer, used the task manager to end task and restart, force verified everything, nothing seems to work. It worked fine before today's maintenance.

Computer:
Processor: Intel(R) Core i5-4440 CPU @3.10 3.10 GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
16 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

All drivers and DirectX up to date.

Comments

• reliantfoxreliantfox Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I've been getting the same here, and even just tried starting Arc in admin mode. I'm also on Windows 7 (Pro, SP1)
  • chrisccw315#4958 chrisccw315 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Same here, just woke to setup the game for the day and its black screen; I can hear the background music playing but everything is just pitch black... what the hell is going?
  • azeda1azeda1 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Same here, just woke to setup the game for the day and its black screen; I can hear the background music playing but everything is just pitch black... what the hell is going?

Got the same Issue
  • trekkie78#7381 trekkie78 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Same here, black screen with a mouse pointer and I can hear the music playing in the background
    I checked out a bit on other postings, I'm not using integrated GPU, mine is GTX970; no fancy anti-virus just a free Avira. The game obviously does connect properly cause I can hear the music playing. I'm not sure if the patch did go through cause it does not seem to have downloaded anything like all previous patching process

Since I'm sending this twice its obvious nothing is wrong with my card; I have to go to work shortly and I missed out a lot of stuff to setup for the day... hope by evening this can be resolved
  • donbo2donbo2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Running RTX 2080 norton disabled DX current, did force verify still black screen Win 7 pro
    I have a Win 10 laptop, will update the game and let you all know if this is a Win 7 issue
  • willsheppardwillsheppard Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    i have the same problem after pacht 11/11/21, black screen , mouse pointer visible , music go the rest is black - i7 motherboard asus win7 Nvidia graphic card
  • sirdraknosirdrakno Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Thanks cryptic for TRIBBLE up another update. All three computers get the black screen and all have different video cards.
  • tanuustanuus Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Not to take glee in others' issues, but glad to see I'm not the only one. Having the same issue. Looking around for anything from Cryptic about this. Hopefully this morning's (11-12-2021) downtime will fix.

Funny, 11-11's patch notes say "fixed an issue...". Well, I didn't have an issue. Now I do.
    Back from work... still same black screen, dozens more victims of the latest patches I see... no surprised at all the maintenance going to be late night for me; so I'm denied a day of endeavor, mining, red alert, all the doffs setup with each character... which there wont be any compensation (no way they dial the event backwards~)

I squeeze my pay and savings to try to get parts just to force upgrade to win10 to continue play this game, at a time when these parts are expensive and lacking in stock. This is the kind of thing I get for trying to support it? Sorry, I'm just tired and really pissed off...
  • walkergrey#0518 walkergrey Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    tanuus wrote: »
    Not to take glee in others' issues, but glad to see I'm not the only one. Having the same issue. Looking around for anything from Cryptic about this. Hopefully this morning's (11-12-2021) downtime will fix.

Funny, 11-11's patch notes say "fixed an issue...". Well, I didn't have an issue. Now I do.

Yeah, I now have this "fixed" issue too. Same black screen and pointer. Can hear the music, and I can even interact by selecting a character to log in byt clicking around. Still cant see anything but the client clearly works.
  • darkfirewithindarkfirewithin Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I've not only gotten the same thing (I'm on Windows 10), but I was also locked out of being able to close the program without doing a hard reboot of my entire system. Now the Arc launcher can't even connect to Cryptic, and I have done multiple restarts of both system and router/network.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    RAM: 32.0 GB
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti

RIP3WB4.png

I've not only gotten the same thing (I'm on Windows 10), but I was also locked out of being able to close the program without doing a hard reboot of my entire system. Now the Arc launcher can't even connect to Cryptic, and I have done multiple restarts of both system and router/network.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    RAM: 32.0 GB
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Managed to fix the connection issue after several reboots, but I'm still getting the black screen hanging indefinitely. I don't even get the STO cursor, just the blue spinning ring.
  • fletch#1149 fletch Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    the changes since May 25 were not fixed now this. Its clear they can't run the servers with this volume so this was their choice. To get rid of us.

Managed to fix the connection issue after several reboots, but I'm still getting the black screen hanging indefinitely. I don't even get the STO cursor, just the blue spinning ring.

Sorry to hear this still happening on your side
  • stevend82stevend82 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    what is fix for all of this if we have no issues on our end? is their really a resolution?
    So the fix I have found for at least my issues has been to launch the game in Safe Mode (go to Options > Safe Mode in the launcher). This has stopped the black screen of oblivion from subduing my computer and is allowing me to play.
  • stevend82stevend82 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    So the fix I have found for at least my issues has been to launch the game in Safe Mode (go to Options > Safe Mode in the launcher). This has stopped the black screen of oblivion from subduing my computer and is allowing me to play.

not for me lol did all that and nothing works
  • perewinperewin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I am having the same issue, Hit Engage in the launcher then screen goes black , I hav the windows wating icon,,, then nothing I have to basically kill the game client exe ... this is great right in time right before the winter event... well it would have been a nice ship to add to my collection.... hopefully Cryptic will actually fix this issue
  • mythdrannor32mythdrannor32 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Exact same issues here.
    Black screen with blue ring of death and it times out "Not responding"

Re-install does nothing.
    Safe mode does nothing.
    Killing game client in task manager then re-launching does nothing.
    Disable anti-virus / firewall does nothing.
    Restart PC does nothing.
    High end PC specs with high end internet and no other issues on any game.

Cannot log in at all since and typically NO RESPONSE from Cryptic/Arc.
  • mythdrannor32mythdrannor32 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    ***WORKAROUND***

Task Manager....Kill ARC
    Find the Star Trek Online Folder
    Launch directly from the Application.

Game loaded...in -game now.
  • chrysanthenoirchrysanthenoir Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Exact same issues here.
    Black screen with blue ring of death and it times out "Not responding"

Re-install does nothing.
    Safe mode does nothing.
    Killing game client in task manager then re-launching does nothing.
    Disable anti-virus / firewall does nothing.
    Restart PC does nothing.
    High end PC specs with high end internet and no other issues on any game.

Cannot log in at all since and typically NO RESPONSE from Cryptic/Arc.

I am having exactly the same issues and am in exactly the same lane, high end spec gear, Win 10 yada yada yada...this started for me after the last patch, never an issue before.
  • smilekill#1045 smilekill Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just wondering if all of the folks that have this issue actually give these game provider's any $$ and if so are ya getting your moneys worth ?
  • bublawekbublawek Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    The black screen is back! Dec 31.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Tribble server opens okay. Not the holodeck server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never Winter works fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • whiteknight1xwhiteknight1x Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    For those that are still having this problem I got this solution from reddit/sto. Add this command to the STO client Option Command line.
    -ArcOverlayEnable 0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wy3GqGllfW-N15eKjuhWbG_QiLSOiU8u/view?usp=sharing

Don't worry about the below command. It's only useful if you are using the STO combat meter.
    -NoAutoRotateLogs
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    For those that are still having this problem I got this solution from reddit/sto. Add this command to the STO client Option Command line.
    -ArcOverlayEnable 0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wy3GqGllfW-N15eKjuhWbG_QiLSOiU8u/view?usp=sharing

Don't worry about the below command. It's only useful if you are using the STO combat meter.
    -NoAutoRotateLogs

NICE! I'll forward this to Kael.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    I should note, however, that Cryptic is discontinuing Windows 7 support next week. https://www.player.one/star-trek-online-windows-7-142514
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    -ArcOverlayEnable 0

-NoAutoRotateLogs

NICE! I'll forward this to Kael.

This is nothing new.
    Post edited by kaithan1975 on