test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

borticuscryptic call for a list of "what do players think are quickwins"

t0m#2593 t0m Member Posts: 34 Arc User
i heard borticus recently in one of those twicht streams when he called out for such a list. he said it does not matter if it really is a quickwin (in terms of implementing it), it's about of what we as players think could be a quickwin. so here i start a list in this forum. since i have no twitter, i don't know where to put it elsewhere. on my end, it is a console-list. with console issues and console UI in mind. feel free to add you ideas for PC as well. but only if you truely think it's a quickwin (so no demands for story or content stuff or anything else).

things who might be quick wins from a players perspective:
(and sorry, i'm not native english speaking. so i'm sorry if some stuff might sound weird)

tfo's
  • - saving difficaulty for tfo's you select manually like it does safe difficaulty with random tfo's

character selection
  • - improving cahracter (toon) selection. i though about 2 ways to avoid those loading times for chars you don't wanna load, since loading time takes decades on last gen consoles (let's be serious: you should not need the power of a next-gen console to load content from an 11, nealry 12 year old game):
    • A.) jumping directly to bottom of the list by pressing "up" button. you could make this "buy new slots" available through another button (for instance the X button) and take it out of the character list. if you would press "up" now, you would land on your last toon rigt at the bottom.
    • B.) if A is not possible or to big of a UI decission, you could set a timer of "X" seconds until a character loads for all accounts with more than 5 toons. right now the game trys to load it immediatly as you internet connection allows. make it load it only, if you stick on one slot for a minimum of 2 or 3 seconds.
    • or maybe think of an own way to improve loading times. to make it fluid. and not a struggle each time you wanna scroll down to the end of the list.

ability wheel:
  • - progammable ability wheels (in terms of the position of any ability). right now it's super random how abilities appear in the wheel. even if you build similar chars they were put randomly different.
  • - if this above is not a quickwin you might consider giving us an option to blend out text-windows from tfo missions (like those from tuvok in undine tfo or leeta in counterpoint) which are placed OVER those wheels. there is just no chance you can see anythin behind those textwindows, even if they are translucent. they appear quit to often. so they hinder you. and if this is to complicated or to big of a change in game UI, let us set an even higher transperency. so that we can see whats behind that. veterans don't need those tfo-story windows.

global notification:
  • - let us decide if we want to see who logged in or off from the game as a global hint in the center of our screen. friends who do their daylie routine in the game while you yourself want to chill in a singleplayer mission is very annoying and killing the atmosphere you guys created. it's still there. even though i head that it should not. or at least the option of shutting it off should be there.

thats all from me for the first post. i will come back as soon as something hits me again as a quickwin. lets see if we can give them some ideas and if they (and borticus in special) hold up to that statement of him.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Yes, yes, yes. The console UI is the worst I have seen in any game, and needs major improvements.

Something to add: costume categories for bridge officers.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Pet Tab.
    STO's pet system is rather clunky compared to other games, requiring you to have an item in your inventory rather than it unlocking a new power. I'd like to see either a pet tab added to inventory/bank, or a revamp of the pet system to make pet items usable to bestow a pet summoning ability, which in turn would need a new tab in the "spell book" dedicated to pets so it doesn't clutter up the current one with a million non combat pets.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Remove/Deactivate the Injury system entirely. Does nothing but clutter my inventory with repair components and the only people affected by notably are people that don't know better or are trying to troll the rest of the team.

Switch the Team Loot System from the Greed/Need/Pass to Round-Robin. No one actually needs anything of the vendor trash that is dropped, but everyone has to press Need if they want vendor trash for EC, round robin ensures everyone still gets some vendor trash.
    An option to "Auto Loot Everything lootable" would be convenient.

Change the Beacon of Khaless to no longer have the white flash. Or at least make it visible only to the player that activated it.

Consider replacing the default ship gear with no EC Cost with a placeholder item like the new Environmental Suit system does. So you don't actually have to unequip and discard the items to get rid of them, but always have basic gear. I am sure that will be of some inconvenience to some players (like unequipping shields so you can get hull damage for some endeavour, or unequipping all weapons except the one weapon you want to test for DPS and procs), but for most it would probably simplify things.

Screenshot Mode for the console players that disables the UI. Or if a toggle or special button is too complicated, just default it to "No UI" unless the player has deliberately opened a UI Window like the character inventory.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Switch the Team Loot System from the Greed/Need/Pass to Round-Robin. No one actually needs anything of the vendor trash that is dropped, but everyone has to press Need if they want vendor trash for EC, round robin ensures everyone still gets some vendor trash.

I'd rather have an auto-answer setting: { auto-need, auto-greed, auto-pass, ask me to chose } the default could be auto-greed so that new players get more of it.

For newer characters I often need salvage, and often different energy types for endeavors. Eventually I have plenty of both and would change the setting for that character to auto-greed or auto-pass.

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I do not want trash loot. That would be a huge step backwards in my opinion.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I do not want trash loot. That would be a huge step backwards in my opinion.

See my post above, you would pick "auto pass" as your loot setting.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    OK I'm guessing "quickwin" = QOL soooo Pet tab has been mentioned. Ability of boffs to wear exactly what the captain is wearing, even off duty uniforms. a default tray setup, so when you get a new ship it imports your tray settings.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Remove/Deactivate the Injury system entirely. Does nothing but clutter my inventory with repair components and the only people affected by notably are people that don't know better or are trying to troll the rest of the team.

Change the Beacon of Khaless to no longer have the white flash. Or at least make it visible only to the player that activated it.

Consider replacing the default ship gear with no EC Cost with a placeholder item like the new Environmental Suit system does. So you don't actually have to unequip and discard the items to get rid of them, but always have basic gear. I am sure that will be of some inconvenience to some players (like unequipping shields so you can get hull damage for some endeavour, or unequipping all weapons except the one weapon you want to test for DPS and procs), but for most it would probably simplify things.

Screenshot Mode for the console players that disables the UI. Or if a toggle or special button is too complicated, just default it to "No UI" unless the player has deliberately opened a UI Window like the character inventory.

I actually need on purples. If we can have need on purples and round robin on everything else that would be great.

I think default gear is valued at 0 to stop infinite farming of ec. Even 1 ec and someone would farm it to maximum credits overnight. I'm assuming it's the case with all resummonable items.
  • Options
    kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Make the Klingon War episodes that were removed 'for revamping' 3 years ago available to players again. hey can be in the AVAILABLE tab until they are revamped. Just have them back in the game already.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    I don't know how reputation is on consoles, but on PC, there are still a lot of issues with it that SHOULD be easily fixable.

Remove the 5 mark cost for ranking up - that is completely unnecessary.

Remove the need to manually rank up by slotting a project, just have it happen automatically once you hit the needed threshold - if that can't be done for mechanical reasons, then, in combination with the above, at least make it so the tier project automatically finishes once the 5 second timer hits 0 instead of needing to 'collect' it.

Remove the retrain token/rep shield/FSM projects entirely and add those things to the same interface where you go to exchange marks/elite marks for dilithium - collecting 13 tokens/shields/FSMs once you hit T6 across 13 reps requires way too much clicking and time wasted.

If the above can't be done, at least fix the order of the projects for the retrain tokens, shields and FSM for Terran Task Force and Temporal reps - every rep BUT these two has retrain token first, FSM second and shield third.

Remove all confirmation dialogue boxes warning you that once you slot something, you can't cancel it, because we CAN in fact cancel every slotted project in the rep system now, so those dialogue boxes are just more unneeded clicking.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    kurtron wrote: »
    Make the Klingon War episodes that were removed 'for revamping' 3 years ago available to players again. hey can be in the AVAILABLE tab until they are revamped. Just have them back in the game already.

This seems reasonable, and I would like that playable races should be prioritized we still haven't gotten DSC Andorians and Tellarites yet.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    "Quickwin" give the option to disable full screen whiteout flashing on ship explosions and other strobe effects.
    "Quickwin" give the option to minimize the amount of visual FX Spam on ground and in space - they are NOT informative but blinding.

Not-so-quick: FIX THE USER INTERFACE SO ABILITIES TOGGLE QUICKLY AND RELIABLY. (capitalized since I've been wanting this forever and they can't or won't, making this game insanely clunky).
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    t0m#2593 t0m Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    kurtron wrote: »

This seems reasonable, and I would like that playable races should be prioritized we still haven't gotten DSC Andorians and Tellarites yet.

please keep in mind that this discussion and therefore "borticus quickwin suggestion list" is not about missing or new content. especially not about content they frequently rule out to happen any time soon or took it out for some reason. they do talk a lot about that stuff.

this should be about gameplay stuff which is ALREADY and activly in the game and needs tweaking. this , plus no judgement of other ideas would be helpful to get this list any attention from official side. feel free to "plus one" any ideas you like and keep this list readable in terms of focused bulletpoints

aim is that the devs read it, and evaluate all our ideas plus the neccessary hours for a dev to actually go into it. if we all can manage to keep this serious and "readable" it might gonna happen for some of our ideas.

anyhow. thank you guys for supporting this list! i realy do appriciate your commitment
  • Options
    lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    This this this this this. The Beacon of Khaless is the single worst thing ever added to STO because of that total whiteout effect when it's activated. As bad as other VFX spam can get in a TFO or whatever, at least none of it completely blinds you like the Beacon does.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    "Quickwin" give the option to disable full screen whiteout flashing on ship explosions and other strobe effects.
    "Quickwin" give the option to minimize the amount of visual FX Spam on ground and in space - they are NOT informative but blinding.

Not-so-quick: FIX THE USER INTERFACE SO ABILITIES TOGGLE QUICKLY AND RELIABLY. (capitalized since I've been wanting this forever and they can't or won't, making this game insanely clunky).

what abilities? and how are they not toggling quick and such? just curious.

ALL abilities, ground or space. I know for a fact this is a common issue since other players I play with report the same problem and they reside in different parts of the world. To date nobody has offered anything to improve on this, leading me to believe it is a core game engine user interface bug. Keybinds help, I use trays 1 & 2, but that's for spam or emergency abilities. Actually clicking on a power: eg. Tactical Team 1, the ability all too often visually confirms it is clicked on, but does not actually provide its function, or, takes a good second or two to activate.

It is so game breaking to have to baby each ability by hold-pressing on it and hoping it decides to activate some time in the next century.

I play other fast paced games with tons of players and things on the same map, where commands and abilities are required instantly since winning or losing depends on split second reactions and decisions. Yes, lag exists, some also refuse to activate/deactivate on rare occasions (very high server load conditions), but nowhere near the severity it happens in STO, which is by comparison a barren wasteland.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

what abilities? and how are they not toggling quick and such? just curious.

ALL abilities, ground or space. I know for a fact this is a common issue since other players I play with report the same problem and they reside in different parts of the world. To date nobody has offered anything to improve on this, leading me to believe it is a core game engine user interface bug. Keybinds help, I use trays 1 & 2, but that's for spam or emergency abilities. Actually clicking on a power: eg. Tactical Team 1, the ability all too often visually confirms it is clicked on, but does not actually provide its function, or, takes a good second or two to activate.

It is so game breaking to have to baby each ability by hold-pressing on it and hoping it decides to activate some time in the next century.

I play other fast paced games with tons of players and things on the same map, where commands and abilities are required instantly since winning or losing depends on split second reactions and decisions. Yes, lag exists, some also refuse to activate/deactivate on rare occasions (very high server load conditions), but nowhere near the severity it happens in STO, which is by comparison a barren wasteland.

Yes, mouse clicking to play the game is utterly unreliable. Based on my years of observations, I am guessing that the activation happens after a full click. That means press and release the mouse button, not just a press of the button. The press clearly shows the icon being activated, but it seems if you are trying to activate several things in a row, the inclination is for the player is to tap tap tap along 2-3 different powers, moving the mouse onto the next power before the release of the button on the previous power.

There is no reason to do it this way. If you can manage to use hotkeys, you don't experience this either. I find there are far too many powers to handle them with hotkeys, myself so I click.

Another quick fix, delete all the white tier 0 EC trash equipment that comes on a ship with one click.

• Options
    ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Disable button to turn off the loot system to stop the UI being loot spammed and having to click need/greed or pass to get shoot of it.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    -all ships default console/weapons/etc are valued at ZERO
    -AOE looting
    -Give us stuff, that is in game, that we've been begging for; klingon baldrics, kar'tarkin polearm, bridges already in game but not selectable
    -stop saying 'we wanna do X, but its hard'
    -Pull Equipment button on 'new' ships, like i just want to get a console or exp weapon, just let me hit a button and pull em out, instead of having to go thru managing 50 clicks
    -Get rid of Dil for reroll tokens.

as someone who works in software, there is a saying... If you are NOT working on something hard, your customers ARE
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Reduce the size and brightness of pretty much every space magic effect introduced after Gravity well, especially the tornadoes and whatever the lavender storm thing is, AND the stupid lighting that comes from GWs and hits your ship
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    The dilithium sink thread has left me somewhat cynical as to how much point there is to this, but okay, I'll play:

Colour code the Pick Up Items buttons to match the rarity of the item. If I'm surrounded by loot drops I don't want to be clicking through batteries and warp coils to find that one purple drop.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    -all ships default console/weapons/etc are valued at ZERO

-Get rid of Dil for reroll tokens.

Very much THIS.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    > @ussvaliant2#1952 said:
    > Disable button to turn off the loot system to stop the UI being loot spammed and having to click need/greed or pass to get shoot of it.

They should just use the loot system they created for console, because we dont have this issue.
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    I forgot about my idea for qued doff missions and admiralty automation.

1. Add the ability to automate doff mission based on one or more resources. whenever a doff mission finishes allow a potential setting to allow it auto turn in and collect and then find the next mission with the highest amount of that resources. This could be an ability gained in the game or just added as a base ship/character ability. Not sure where or how. This would have a button to allow you to select which resource to prioritize. And possibly a second one to pick like how you can select primary and secondary specilization. I would probably get primary dil and secondary as items to help farm dil. This could include specifically contraband and things like industrial energy cells etc. It would by definition use up the missions for primary the look for secondary? Not sure on the logic. Basically an automated doff que I call a doff itinerary!

For dil farming it might need a tertiary also.

Examples:
    1. 1. Experience/Expertise(possibly with a sub category of each type or an all option)
    2. 2. Special items
    3. 3. EC
    4. 4. Latinum
    5. 5. Dilithium
    6. 6. Speciality bridge officer
    7. 7. Colonists
    8. 8. Doffs?

These could be clustered for balance in different ways.

2. Add the ability to auto fill admiralty just like how doffs are now. When you click to start an admiralty mission it auto fills to some basic extent. Possibly set to do 100% chance at the expense of all else. Then you can rearange it for better crit. This would require to still physically select missions but would make it convenient like current doff missions.

This would upgrade both systems. Doffs could be set to be totally automated. Which is logical for a doff system to have your crew atually go out and do things constantly. And the admiralty system would become convenient. Allowing it the same benefits the current doff missions have. This would be a huge QOL issues for anyone farming doff/admiralty. It is currently ubearable after a few characters. I can't even get myself to do it on one character.

3. Add the ability to auto que all hourly missions in reputation and collect the rewards with one button. This could be done with only hourlies to keep manual for the stuff prior to tier 6. Then at tier 6 you can more easily farm your characters for dill/ec. It would also make people possibly farm more to do hourlies while getting to tier 6 and hence get more marks for even more players in the ques.

This would also all help support the increased use of the non combat parts of the game. Making it little bit more like star trek is supposed to be. At least for federation characters.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    Drag and drop emotes into our hot bars. As new emote rewards become available during special events. That scrolling list gets very cumbersome.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
This discussion has been closed.