test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Silly Question...How do we play this game?

dbriggs304dbriggs304 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Been a while since I've last played but the episodes were in a certain order. I remember hearing that they changed it but do you just start any arc and go or am I following a certain story line and order?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    If you want to do it in more or less chronological order, just go straight down the list. Otherwise, it is rather open and you can take any path (it is a bit like ESO in that respect now). If you are Fed it goes tutorial stuff (if you don't skip it), then the Vulcan ambassador thing and then Quinn gives you a whole list of things from different parts of the overall tree (the next one chronologically would be the freighter rescue but unlike the old way you don't have to rigidly follow a single path anymore).
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    If you want to do it in more or less chronological order, just go straight down the list. Otherwise, it is rather open and you can take any path (it is a bit like ESO in that respect now). If you are Fed it goes tutorial stuff (if you don't skip it), then the Vulcan ambassador thing and then Quinn gives you a whole list of things from different parts of the overall tree (the next one chronologically would be the freighter rescue but unlike the old way you don't have to rigidly follow a single path anymore).

In ESO I followed the Aldmeri Dominion storyline First, Altmers were my favorite race since Oblivion, however play game in whatever you like but for the most part STO Arcs are in Chronological Order, only a few were moved to side tab.
    BTW there's no such thing as silly questions, just dumb answers.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Silly Answer: Very Carefully. ;)

Anyways... yea... chronological order is just straight down the line. Although there is one minor discrepancy now since the 2800 arc and the Breen arc are no longer main line, yet some things may make more sense or be referenced from them if they were. Like meeting the Preservers for the first time.

How did we know about the Archive on Lae'nas III during the Iconian War? Breen Arc.
    When did Captain Shon gain command of the USS Enterprise-F? 2800 arc.

While the missions are still playable right now... not having them in the main line does make things a tad confusing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    THERES A BREEN ARC? I missed those, or I've forgotten them
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
    I mean the Nimbus III Arc with Hassan the Undying takes place before Hakeev's death on Brea III.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Anyways... yea... chronological order is just straight down the line. Although there is one minor discrepancy now since the 2800 arc and the Breen arc are no longer main line, yet some things may make more sense or be referenced from them if they were. Like meeting the Preservers for the first time.

How did we know about the Archive on Lae'nas III during the Iconian War? Breen Arc.

While the missions are still playable right now... not having them in the main line does make things a tad confusing.

I would say it only makes it confusing when you play those arcs at least for the Big E and Shon, as you can assume he was transferred sometime after the last we see him as the captain of the Belfast (sic). That said it could be weird seeing him again as captain of the Belfast when you've used to seeing him as captain of the Enterprise.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    spiritborn wrote: »

I would say it only makes it confusing when you play those arcs at least for the Big E and Shon, as you can assume he was transferred sometime after the last we see him as the captain of the Belfast (sic). That said it could be weird seeing him again as captain of the Belfast when you've used to seeing him as captain of the Enterprise.

Well... we literally see the Enterprise-F for the first time in the 2800 arc during the big fight over DS9 in the last mission, and we see the destruction of the Belfast before that when we pick up the Founder. So there is context in terms of how and why, which also adds in some more background into Captain Shon.
    IMO without the 2800 arc, Shon doesn't have that character growth. He's just suddenly Captain of the Enterprise, with no reason while the Belfast is assumed to still be around. In Boldly They Rode, Shon does confirm that the Belfast was lost, and that being chosen to command the Enterprise is a great honor.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Similarly, removal of Spectres from the main line negates the easter-egg factor from Scotty's dialog in the AoY tutorial sequence since most players don't seem to ever play much of anything from the so-called "available" tab (which is not surprising since some of the missions in that tab simply will not start because of hidden prereqs that were not properly severed, the Kobali stuff is one of the main examples of that).
This discussion has been closed.