test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Most Important Device in the Universe; I discovered what is does!

devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
This particular device prop has been seen in numerous TV shows and movies, but no one knows what it does. Even William Shatner in Airplane II couldn't figure out what it does besides moving red lights back and forth. See this compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPp5oYnps0

The device has even appeared in the background of Lower Decks, but no one knows what it's supposed to do, until now.

Recently I happened to notice that the Particle Generator and the Exotic Particle Field Exciter science consoles have the same image as the device. See this link: https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Console_-_Science_-_Exotic_Particle_Field_Exciter

After years of guessing, we finally know what is does, at least in Star Trek Online. It gives a boost to your ship's particle generators, increasing the effectiveness of abilities like Gravity Well, Destabilizing Resonance Beam, Subspace Vortex, etc.

This little mystery has been hiding in the game in plain sight since day one. I'm surprised it took me this long to see it!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    lol, that vid was actually loads of fun to watch! Thanks for sharing... Makes me wonder if the similarity is on purpose...

:wink:
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    lol, that vid was actually loads of fun to watch! Thanks for sharing... Makes me wonder if the similarity is on purpose...

:wink:
    CM

There is no chance that it can't be on purpose.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    It's actually a very common prop in SF movies and TV shows, because it sure looks like it does something, don't it?

The TikTok channel PropsToHistory had an episode about it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Probably meant to be a futuristic particle accelerator.
  • howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    it would be a great Aprils fools reward a console with a a lot of stats that does nothing, or a non combat effect that makes it temporarily appear right in front of you
  • devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    howtor wrote: »
    it would be a great Aprils fools reward a console with a a lot of stats that does nothing, or a non combat effect that makes it temporarily appear right in front of you

Cryptic should do an April Fool's event, maybe in tandem with Lower Decks. That would be hilarious.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    devencombs wrote: »

Cryptic should do an April Fool's event, maybe in tandem with Lower Decks. That would be hilarious.
    "What should you do with this strange device, Captain?
    <Scan for Kerplickian lice infestation>
    <Execute the Janeway Protocol>
    <Recklessly shake it>
    <Shoot it>
    <Beam it into Leeta's cell>
    <(Caitian/Ferasan) Sit on it >
    <Off to the trash dematerializer with you!>
    <Call Kurland for advice... maybe?>"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    it would be a great Aprils fools reward a console with a a lot of stats that does nothing

You mean like the console on the Parliament class?
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
This discussion has been closed.