test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So are the New ships only going to be in the lock boxes??

2»

Comments

• Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Just my opinion but they really need to revamp the lockboxes and how they work for the state of the game now. Especially since there are Star Trek series creating content. What I would suggest is that they use the system they already have for how items are upgraded in rarity. So, you would have account bound ships that would be for one character. Then two versions of an account wide grand prize that one is automatically bound to you but the current low drop/chance would be an account wide unlock that could be sold on the exchange. When you open a lockbox, it would give a % toward that account wide unlock. So, if they did it this way it could benefit people who don't have many characters but also benefit players with many characters at the same time.

It's one of the reasons of the dilithium exchange problem that is based upon the lockboxes that are the very heart of their business platform. Plus, when they introduce these ships players and devs could get excited about ships going to a lockbox. The key about selling these keys is that when people pretty much have the perception, they are not going to win anything that increases the probability that they won't even buy them to try it in the first place.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I totally get what your saying. But the reason your example doesn't really make sense here is because we're not talking about 10 ships of equal value(like 10 hotdogs). Several of the ships in the connie bundle(TOS connie, DSC connie, Kelvin connie, Crossfield) are basically lockbox/promo ships, and they are worth FAR more than a regular C-store ship.

But just for the sake of argument, let's forget every ship in the bundle except the connie. Even if you ONLY wanted the connie and didn't care about ANY other ship in the pack, spending $200 to get an ACCOUNT unlock of the connie is still a better deal than spending $200 to get a single character unlock of the connie, which is what you get from the promo pack.

So for that reason, the pack is a good deal, IMO.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But in my opinion, your argument kinda assumes that the 200€ for the promo ship is any way, shape or form a reasonable price and spending the same for the account unlock is thus a huge deal.

I see where you are coming from, but for me personally the ships in this game are absolutely and grossly overpriced. When they sell those ships for the price of entire gaming console systems (600€ Mudd-pack, yes, Mudd store has fake discounts and the "real price" is lower, but the asking price is still 600€ and it can be purchased for that amount) SOMETHING is off.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I totally get what your saying. But the reason your example doesn't really make sense here is because we're not talking about 10 ships of equal value(like 10 hotdogs). Several of the ships in the connie bundle(TOS connie, DSC connie, Kelvin connie, Crossfield) are basically lockbox/promo ships, and they are worth FAR more than a regular C-store ship.

But just for the sake of argument, let's forget every ship in the bundle except the connie. Even if you ONLY wanted the connie and didn't care about ANY other ship in the pack, spending $200 to get an ACCOUNT unlock of the connie is still a better deal than spending $200 to get a single character unlock of the connie, which is what you get from the promo pack.

So for that reason, the pack is a good deal, IMO.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But in my opinion, your argument kinda assumes that the 200€ for the promo ship is any way, shape or form a reasonable price and spending the same for the account unlock is thus a huge deal.

I see where you are coming from, but for me personally the ships in this game are absolutely and grossly overpriced. When they sell those ships for the price of entire gaming console systems (600€ Mudd-pack, yes, Mudd store has fake discounts and the "real price" is lower, but the asking price is still 600€ and it can be purchased for that amount) SOMETHING is off.​​

Everything we are saying in this thread is...wait for it...in the context of this game. Yes, the ships in this game are overpriced. Yes, the gambling mechanics in this game suck. I agree with all of that. But all of that exists and I can't change it.

So within the context of this game, the anniversary bundle is a good deal. That does not mean it is a good deal OUT of the context of this game, or compared to everything else in the world. But within this game, with overpriced ships and sucky gambling mechanics, it is a good deal.

"Context is for Kings"

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    A lot of them download the game mainly for TOS rather than the NuTrek shows,

I would love to see what you have that substantiates that opinion.

Don't get me wrong, while I do like Discovery, I also love TOS.. but I don't believe there is any way that statement is true. The new stuff is what's popular now and far more likely to drive players to the game then a show that's over 50 years old.

I actually like both too (with a preference for TOS), though for different reasons (they are not the same subgenre so that should go without saying, but many apparently don't see it that way).

What I have on the subject isn't from a single source that I can just give a link to, it is from a lot of article sidenotes, projection charts, and stuff like that over the course of the last year or so put together, along with some anecdotal stuff from ingame chats (and yes, I know that STO does not consider what people say on the forum or say ingame chat to be a valid indicator of what people want).

Unfortunately, since it is a peculiar subset that is not tracked in of itself normally that kind of thing is not often the main focus of articles and trend tracking sites so there is no easy button on the subject to point people to.

Retirees are not a dominant demographic chunk of the total online game players and probably never will be, but they are "butts in the seats" as they say, even if they tend to be the cheap seats, and that is good for ratings. And of the various age groups they tend to gravitate to MMOs like STO rather than the MOBAs and shooters that younger gamers tend to favor.

There are indicators that the number of seniors in MMOs have taken an upswing lately because the disruption of the workplace has forced so many of them out of the workforce and into retirement, pretty much the same way that the economic crash of 2008 did, and unlike the younger workforce people who are spending more time in online gaming, far fewer of them will be returning to it and cutting back on gaming again in the very near future.

When you look at that along with the nostalgia factor that Trek fans tend to favor the Trek series they grew up with (or at least the one they saw before any of the others) that means that most of the wave of retirees from the disruptions caused by the pandemic (late Boomer and early Gen-X) will tend to be oriented to TOS as "their" Trek. TOS is unique in that while it only had 79 episodes it had a thirteen-year run (even though most of that was reruns) as the only Trek (besides fanzines and a few novels) so more people started with TOS than any other Trek.

I am not suggesting that the devs drop what they are doing and focus on TOS, just that tossing a few more bones like the TOSified Reliant as an alternate skin for some of the ships released in the next year or so, (and maybe even a few more TOS TFOs or sub-scenarios, which would probably fit in quite well with temporal disruptions caused by PIC if the devs choose to do anything with PIC s2), similar to the way they have the Sommerville and Hernandez and a few others, just with TOS elements instead of DSC for the "past" version.

They could even TOSify some of the DSC ships to represent versions of those ships built by the San Francisco Naval Yards using parts the yards would have to manufacture anyway to support the Constitution class (you would be surprised how much ships of the same class differed in WWII when the contracts were spread out among several builders because of that kind of thing).

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    ^ exactly. To me spending $2,000+ to attend a super bowl game is madness, but for sportsball fans it's the price you pay. Someone offering that for $1,500 would be selling it "cheap" in context, and it would be a bargain for those who love their bowls.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    so for you, the package is a great deal, i get it. but for me it is not,

See, this is the part you keep failing to understand. This has nothing to do with "me" or "you". I am talking about 2 actual facts:

Fact 1: a single character t6 connie unlock (via boxes/exchange) = approximately $200

Fact 2: an account wide t6 connie unlock (via bundle) = approximately $200

Those are facts, not opinions. And here is another: between those 2 choices, the 2nd (account unlock) is the better value.

All this noise about you wanting to pay less and not wanting the other ships in the pack has absolutely nothing to do with the actual facts.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021

See, this is the part you keep failing to understand. This has nothing to do with "me" or "you". I am talking about 2 actual facts:

Fact 1: a single character t6 connie unlock (via boxes/exchange) = approximately $200

Those are facts, not opinions. And here is another: between those 2 choices, the 2nd (account unlock) is the better value.

All this noise about you wanting to pay less and not wanting the other ships in the pack has absolutely nothing to do with the actual facts.

and yet it does...you see a value in the bundle...i get it. your context varies from mine. your use may vary from mine. but that doesnt mean your facts are any more correct then my reasons for its opposition and only wanting one.

acct unlock to many may be of value, and it is in my case as well for many things, but i never mentioned getting one from the exchange, as my take was always from a bundle vs single buy option. much like the legendary single buys (with odd and end stuff added). maybe i should have cross referenced that prior...my bad.

Ok, it's time to remind you of something: this whole back and forth started because I said something was a good value in my opinion(specifically). You took issue with my post, because you were offended by someone having a different opinion from you. Get over it already.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

and yet it does...you see a value in the bundle...i get it. your context varies from mine. your use may vary from mine. but that doesnt mean your facts are any more correct then my reasons for its opposition and only wanting one.

acct unlock to many may be of value, and it is in my case as well for many things, but i never mentioned getting one from the exchange, as my take was always from a bundle vs single buy option. much like the legendary single buys (with odd and end stuff added). maybe i should have cross referenced that prior...my bad.

The difference is nagus is talking about purchasing options that actually exist, while you are mixing an option that exists with options you would like to see added to the game.

In the game as it exists now, the legendary bundle is a discount even if you want only the connie. That's not subjective or opinion.

In the game as it exists now, the Mudd's bundles are a discount even if you only want one lock box or promo pack ship.

It's true that it's a valid opinion that "I don't see the value" or "it's too expensive" or "they should sell the ships singly" but it's still objective fact that they are cheaper options, discounts, bargains compared to the other existing purchase options.
  • Options
    maximgorkiymaximgorkiy Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    With all the "blah, blah, blah" in this discussion, the most important question has completely receded into the background: WHERE IS THE PROTOSTAR IN STO????
    And why is there never a statement from the company on such questions?

I hardly believe that the takeover will change anything in the bridge, no matter how many new captains take the command.
    PC-Info
    MB: MSI MPG X570 GP 2.0
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Mem: Samsung DDR4 -2132 8GB (x2)
    Graph: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    System: Micrsft. Windows 10 Pro v.21H2
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    > @maximgorkiy said:
    > With all the "blah, blah, blah" in this discussion, the most important question has completely receded into the background: WHERE IS THE PROTOSTAR IN STO????
    > And why is there never a statement from the company on such questions?
    >
    > I hardly believe that the takeover will change anything in the bridge, no matter how many new captains take the command

Necro thread

But I gather it was noted in a very recent livestream that, whilst it has been requested, Nikleodeon haven't granted permission for STO to use assets from Star Trek Prodigy yet.

7/27 in fact - https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1267675/ten-forward-weekly-7-27-22

"Cryptic still hasn't gotten the OK from Nick to do Prodigy content"
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    BEGONE ZOMBIE!
    *casts Holy Photon Torpedo*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.