test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just got notice of a data breach of my password for STO from Google

tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
Change these passwords now

Some of your saved passwords were exposed in a non-Google data breach. You should change them now. Learn more
This account is at risk
startrekonline.com

Got an email saying I had a password come up online. The above message is from manually typing in passwords.google.com, and then checking. Change your passwords people! I had a pretty strong one, at least by the old rules for passwords (decent length, letters, numbers, upper and lower case.) Now I need to figure out something I can both remember since I have to manually type it in each time with the stand-alone client and still decent... cap of 14 char max password is rather annoying.

Edit: My new Arc password isn't registering for STO itself, only the forums... great. That's where the value is. Already had one of my other games get TRIBBLE so they could resale the items I had.

Edit2: It looks like the password Google thinks I have for STO is a very old one, so I don't know how worrisome this should really be. I guess it was stored a long time ago when I was using Chrome, but I use Firefox on PC nowadays.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I also got a notification from google this afternoon. My STO account wasn't listed, but some other old sites I don't use anymore were. Weird.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    If you use the password "password123" on 5 different sites and site 2 is breached, Google will show you that message on sites 1,3-5 too. That message means that the username - password pair showed up in some data theft breach of some site, not necessarily the STO forums.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    If you use the password "password123" on 5 different sites and site 2 is breached, Google will show you that message on sites 1,3-5 too. That message means that the username - password pair showed up in some data theft breach of some site, not necessarily the STO forums.

Good to know, but I have a green checkmark on the page for unique passwords and only STO was noted as being breached. Still, an extremely good idea to change all the passwords to unique new ones if this happens to anyone, doubly so if the site has any sort of monetary value that could be gained.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »

Good to know, but I have a green checkmark on the page for unique passwords and only STO was noted as being breached. Still, an extremely good idea to change all the passwords to unique new ones if this happens to anyone, doubly so if the site has any sort of monetary value that could be gained.

FYI, the unique checkmark means unique for ones that Google has stored for auto-login.

Google looks at all user - password combos for all sites it finds on the darkweb, then matches them against the user - password combos that you have let it store.

If you created an account at RandomSite12.com with that username - password, did not let Google store it for you, and then that site was TRIBBLE, Google would show the STO password as unique.

(STO forums might well have been TRIBBLE at some point, I'm just pointing out that it might also have been any other site that had the same user-password combo. Re-using passwords is not good.)
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    I haven't heard of any data breaches here, but I'll ask just in case. I think folks up thread are correct about Google warning you because another site got breached.
This discussion has been closed.