test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So are the New ships only going to be in the lock boxes??

psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 165 Arc User
I am curious about this.

Becasue when I was first playing i recall opening 98 lock boxes to get one ship

Now as of late with the infinity boxes, I have opend 104 of them so far, and not gotten the Tier 6 ships at all.

The odds onthe new lock boxes seams a bit skewed.

I dont mind too much got many other items, some of which i wont use because i have no room to use them on my present characters.

So again I am wondering about this.

***>_> also wondering if the ship in star trek prodigies will be in this game too.****

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    It depends on the ship on where it will go. Combination of factors that also include word from CBS.

And I have no doubt we'll see the Protostar in game. In what capacity... is anyone's guess. While I'd like it to be C-Store, odds are it might get its own lockbox, which would probably be best case scenario. Worst case is Promo IMO.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer about the ship rattler2 =^_^=

In my tired state i was thinking you where implying:
    "viacom/cbs/Paramount/Nickelodeon want us to pay for keys to perfect world so we can use the gambling devices to get ships."

which made me laugh becasue I was thinking "what next gambing shows for kids on Nickelodeon??"

But realized you meant the Prodigy ship...=^_^=

Again thank you for the reply.

=^_^=

• Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    I am curious about this.

Now as of late with the infinity boxes, I have opend 104 of them so far, and not gotten the Tier 6 ships at all.

I dont mind too much got many other items, some of which i wont use because i have no room to use them on my present characters.

***>_> also wondering if the ship in star trek prodigies will be in this game too.****

I understand your disappointment / upset, but don't open lockboxes for ships. Chances are somewhere around one ship in 240 boxes, it's still the same for about 8 years.
    If you want a ship, buy the keys, sell them and buy a ship for the EC. I have about 10 lockbox ships and I bought them all like this.
  • Options
    tmassx wrote: »
    I am curious about this.

I understand your disappointment / upset, but don't open lockboxes for ships. Chances are somewhere around one ship in 240 boxes, it's still the same for about 8 years.
    If you want a ship, buy the keys, sell them and buy a ship for the EC. I have about 10 lockbox ships and I bought them all like this.
    Thats a very good idea =^_^=

Though i am wondering if these will still only be lock box ships...

Because even with your idea, someone would have to win the item to open up and get a ship, and since there are many to choose from in the lock box now, the odds someone will selelt a specific ship you might want, becomes something that will not likely happen.

so its an even bigger gamble at that point.

=^_^=

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    You can look on the exchange to see that all the lock box ships are in fact available for credits, so zero risk. Promo pack ships have apparently been priced above the current exchange limit on PC so you have to trade for them.

Gamble box odds are 1 in 250 for lock boxes, 1 in 100 for promo pack ships. Sadly it is RNG so you could get a ship in 1 box or not get a ship after opening 500.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Promo feels a lot higher than that... the only ones I've ever got from the promo packs have either been the account unlocks from bundles in the Mudd Market (the Jellyfish, the Amarie, etc.) or the event campaign that ran this year. I think I've opened close to 200, never got a single ship. As opposed to this one guy I often see get 4-5 a DAY....
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    joshmaul wrote: »
    Promo feels a lot higher than that... the only ones I've ever got from the promo packs have either been the account unlocks from bundles in the Mudd Market (the Jellyfish, the Amarie, etc.) or the event campaign that ran this year. I think I've opened close to 200, never got a single ship. As opposed to this one guy I often see get 4-5 a DAY....

With 1 in 100 odds, before you start to open 200 boxes there is a 0.99 ^ 200 chance (13.4%.) that you will fail to get any ships. You can only calculate that before you start, because probability has no memory. Once you've opened 199 boxes your odds for the 200th box are 1 in 100 not 13.4%.

Apparently RNG hates you and someone else got your 2 ships. Possibly me: I've never gotten a lock box ship in opening maybe 200 boxes over 7 years, but I've gotten 2 promo pack ships after opening maybe 50-60 over that time span.

I open them for fun and lobi not to get a ship. For lock box ships I've bought a bunch over the years from the exchange using credits.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    define new ships though....
    we have had several added to the cstore lately, but maybe not your flavor.

as far as prodigy ship...dont hold your breath. LD has a cpl but it takes time to make it more realistic vs the cartoon presented. it may appear, but it will more than likely be some time before we see it.

To be fair, Prodigy looks more like the actual STO game already. It has a big advantage being CGI.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    define new ships though....
    we have had several added to the cstore lately, but maybe not your flavor.

as far as prodigy ship...dont hold your breath. LD has a cpl but it takes time to make it more realistic vs the cartoon presented. it may appear, but it will more than likely be some time before we see it.

To be fair, Prodigy looks more like the actual STO game already. It has a big advantage being CGI.​​

The irony is...I get totally swept away in the narrative of Prodigy and there's no transition between ground and space. The biggest problem with the films and series over the last few years is that the CGI lets it down. Bad or badly used CGI derails everything. It takes you out of the moment, but Prodigy is pretty seamless, because it's all animated.
  • Options
    starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I think the protostar should be a Z store or otherwise easily available ship, not a lock box, because it's a children's show and younger players will come to STO to fly it if they can, so locking it out for them behind lockbox keys and the exchange wouldn't be a good move.

The bad guys ships from Prodigy would be better for the lockbox
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I think the protostar should be a Z store or otherwise easily available ship, not a lock box, because it's a children's show and younger players will come to STO to fly it if they can, so locking it out for them behind lockbox keys and the exchange wouldn't be a good move.

That sounds good, but I doubt it will happen since CBS has a track record of wanting hero ships to be relitively rare, which means lockbox or promo box (and possibly lobi), and they are likely to insist on it for the hero ship from Prodigy since despite the show being aimed mainly at kids the Protostar is still the hero ship.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    There is no way the Protostar will be anything other then a promo ship.

Sorry, It's not what anyone wants.. but at this point in the games life cycle it's a giant cash grab. Anything that is remotely desirable goes behind a huge pay wall. The sooner you adjust your expectations, the better.. anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    There is no way the Protostar will be anything other then a promo ship.

Sorry, It's not what anyone wants.. but at this point in the games life cycle it's a giant cash grab. Anything that is remotely desirable goes behind a huge pay wall. The sooner you adjust your expectations, the better.. anything else is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Right on. For whatever reasons, this game can apparently only support itself through gambling mechanics at this point. I'm not saying that's anyone's fault, but it's just the truth.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Anything that is remotely desirable goes behind a huge pay wall.
    So what about the Nova, Oberth, Steamrunner, Saber, and all the other ships people had been asking for years for but came out in the Zen store?
  • Options
    So what about the Nova, Oberth, Steamrunner, Saber, and all the other ships people had been asking for years for but came out in the Zen store?

If you believe those are the most desirable items in the game.. great.

They still put some stuff in the C-Store, and the Nova was a particularly great addition. But lets be honest, people aren't downloading STO to fly a Nova, not today. They are watching shows like Discovery, Lower Decks, Prodigy and soon Brave New Worlds and trying the game because it offers that content. Then they find that all those ships they see on TV every week costs hundreds of dollars for even a chance to obtain.

Defend the practice if you wish, but they have been growing more and more predatory in their monetization over the last couple of years and putting 2 or 3 things in the Zen store per year doesn't change that.
  • Options

I agree, "anything" is not correct. But the "most desirable" ships are definitely going in gamble boxes at this point. And by "most desirable" I mean any MAIN ship of any new show/movie going forward.

The only reason the Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, and Sovereign aren't in gamble boxes is because they were already in the game before it went F2P. But without any shadow of a doubt, any MAIN ship of any new show that comes out going forward will be stuck in a gambling box. And yes, that 100% means the California class and Protostar will be in gamble boxes.

As far as the non-main ships, some will find their way into the C-store and some will still be put in gamble boxes. It depends on what side of the bed they get up on that day.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    If you believe those are the most desirable items in the game.. great.
    I don't, I was just pointing out you said "anything remotely desirable" of which those ships were. You said nothing of being "the most desirable"
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

What I would love, is a Prodigy Pack. You'd get the Protostar, which could be flown after the tutorial and level, (I'd love there to be a Prodigy tutorial, of course) but then it comes with the STP ground equipment, etc.

We've had a Disco starter pack, so it would only be fair.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User

. . . They still put some stuff in the C-Store, and the Nova was a particularly great addition. But lets be honest, people aren't downloading STO to fly a Nova, not today. They are watching shows like Discovery, Lower Decks, Prodigy and soon Brave New Worlds and trying the game because it offers that content. Then they find that all those ships they see on TV every week costs hundreds of dollars for even a chance to obtain. . . .

There is another (and rather unexpected by the industry) phenomenon happening too, one that is not being addressed very well by the devs. The number of people retiring and turning to MMOs like STO has been increasing for years, and the COVID driven closings and layoffs has accelerated that trend lately.

A lot of them download the game mainly for TOS rather than the NuTrek shows, but except for finally bringing AoY out again along with the "TOSified Reliant" the devs are not doing much to attract that quickly growing sector of gamers.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    A lot of them download the game mainly for TOS rather than the NuTrek shows,

I would love to see what you have that substantiates that opinion.

Don't get me wrong, while I do like Discovery, I also love TOS.. but I don't believe there is any way that statement is true. The new stuff is what's popular now and far more likely to drive players to the game then a show that's over 50 years old.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Anything that isn't from 22nd - 25th century timespan will either be loxbox or Lobi same goes for anything that isn't part of the prime timeline, BTW why doesn't the C-Store have a Connie?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Anything that isn't from 22nd - 25th century timespan will either be loxbox or Lobi

Even extremely common ships from STO's own (approximate) time period get put in boxes. See Inquiry class from Picard. Same goes for Lower Decks stuff.

BTW why doesn't the C-Store have a Connie?

Because the connie is THE number 1 most iconic ship in all of Trek. They will never put something that desirable in the C-store as a normal purchase (although it is part of the big bundle, which is actually a good deal IMO).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    tmassx wrote: »
    I am curious about this.

Unfortunately this advise is becoming outdated and will soon be completely irrelevant. Due to in game inflation, the more recent lockbox/promo ships are becoming less common on the exchange and are instead being sold in various chats for prices higher than can be listed on the exchange.

Don't get me wrong: I followed the "buy it off the exchange" logic for many years and it got me everything I wanted up to this point. But over the last year or so I have seen a major increase in ship pricing and the writing is on the wall that "just buy it on the exchange" won't be a valid option in the future.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    (although it is part of the big bundle, which is actually a good deal IMO).

if you want all the ships with it, not so if you only want one, maybe two.

why do people continually justify a large bundle if people dont want or need all the ships?

sure...10 hot dogs for $1 each is a great buy. but i wont eat or need more then 1 or 2. id rather pay $3 per at that point and get what i want and not waste the rest.

yes, i get you said IMO, but its not the only opinion out there and every time a bundle makes an appearance it gets the nod of approval from supporters without also addressing the dissenting views. it like its one way and that is it.

/offsoapbox

(it wasnt directed at you to single you out grand...just FYI)

I totally get what your saying. But the reason your example doesn't really make sense here is because we're not talking about 10 ships of equal value(like 10 hotdogs). Several of the ships in the connie bundle(TOS connie, DSC connie, Kelvin connie, Crossfield) are basically lockbox/promo ships, and they are worth FAR more than a regular C-store ship.

But just for the sake of argument, let's forget every ship in the bundle except the connie. Even if you ONLY wanted the connie and didn't care about ANY other ship in the pack, spending $200 to get an ACCOUNT unlock of the connie is still a better deal than spending $200 to get a single character unlock of the connie, which is what you get from the promo pack.

So for that reason, the pack is a good deal, IMO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ok lets take your example then. 4 connies @ $50 each to reach the 200.

(taking out the often remarked buy it for consoles and traits as well here)

i would still rather buy one connie i wanted at $75-85 knowing its what i want, vs spending an extra $150 for ships and items i dont want or may never use.

in this case, to me, its a waste, just as the example of the hot dogs.

Yeah, so we are just coming at this from 2 completely different perspectives. You are trying to analyze the value of the pack in a vacuum, ignoring the values of ships outside of the pack and trying to break down the price based on number of ships in the pack. That's fine...but has nothing to do with my perspective.

My perspective is outside of this pack, the ONLY way to get a T6 connie is from a box(or from exchange), with an approximate value of $200. And again, that's a *single* character unlock. So between these 2 options:

A: single character unlock for approximately $200

B: account-wide unlock for approximately $200

Option "B" is obviously a great deal (by comparison).

So yeah, I gotta disagree with your pricing of connies at $50, because that's not their real value outside of the pack. Their real value outside of the pack is approximately $200 each for *single* character unlocks.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    (although it is part of the big bundle, which is actually a good deal IMO).

if you want all the ships with it, not so if you only want one, maybe two.

why do people continually justify a large bundle if people dont want or need all the ships?

sure...10 hot dogs for $1 each is a great buy. but i wont eat or need more then 1 or 2. id rather pay $3 per at that point and get what i want and not waste the rest.

yes, i get you said IMO, but its not the only opinion out there and every time a bundle makes an appearance it gets the nod of approval from supporters without also addressing the dissenting views. it like its one way and that is it.

/offsoapbox

(it wasnt directed at you to single you out grand...just FYI)

I totally get what your saying. But the reason your example doesn't really make sense here is because we're not talking about 10 ships of equal value(like 10 hotdogs). Several of the ships in the connie bundle(TOS connie, DSC connie, Kelvin connie, Crossfield) are basically lockbox/promo ships, and they are worth FAR more than a regular C-store ship.

But just for the sake of argument, let's forget every ship in the bundle except the connie. Even if you ONLY wanted the connie and didn't care about ANY other ship in the pack, spending $200 to get an ACCOUNT unlock of the connie is still a better deal than spending $200 to get a single character unlock of the connie, which is what you get from the promo pack.

So for that reason, the pack is a good deal, IMO.

ok lets take your example then. 4 connies @ $50 each to reach the 200.

(taking out the often remarked buy it for consoles and traits as well here)

i would still rather buy one connie i wanted at $75-85 knowing its what i want, vs spending an extra $150 for ships and items i dont want or may never use.

in this case, to me, its a waste, just as the example of the hot dogs.

Yes it's expensive compared to normal C-Store ships, but also yes it's cheap compared to the existing promo pack price for 1 single-character Connie. Both are facts.

"I only want to pay $x" is a valid opinion, but it's still a fact that the legendary bundle is cheap compared to the promo pack price of the connie by itself, which is on average 250 lock box keys.

So it's getting one wagyu beef hotdog + 9 other hotdogs for $200 vs. 1 waygu beef dog for $250. Yes, quite expensive compared to oscar meyer snout-dogs, but whether it's worth it is up to the eater.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
This discussion has been closed.