test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

U.S.S. Bernicia is MY ship!!!

dixon#4204 dixon Member Posts: 55 Arc User
Just had my mind blown. I'm one of those guys who really puts a lot of thought into naming my ships. No Mjolnirs, Avalons. Excaliburs, Trumps or Enterprizzes for me thank you very much. Now my main ship always ends up being renamed the Bernicia. I love that name and chose it because of its relative obscurity and personal connection. I come from Durham in North East England which during the Anglo-Saxon period, prior to the formation the Kingdom of Northumbria was in a region known as Bernicia, Basically hardly anyone who lives here knows that so as I said, fairly obsure. Now today after five years of playing this game I got a ship for my Andorian Alt and the random name generator for the ship comes up with? You guessed it U.S.S. Bernicia1 How on Earth did this get on that list! Most of the random names are really generic; cities, US presidents etc but BERNICIA???? My only conclusion is that a dev was playing one day and saw my ship, took a liking to her name and stole it! I demand royalties... Anyone else come up with a really unique name only to find someone else using it?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• dixon#4204 dixon Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that is obscure... a lot of real-world navies used the names of ancient provinces, etcetera for ship names in the 1800-1950 period when a lot of them had more ships than they do now (and less famous people and battles to name them after).

I for example have a website bookmarked with the ship list of the Imperial Japanese Navy, with translations, and one of my characters always uses names off that list for her ships.

In real life yes, but not the STO random ship name generator which is anything but obscure. As for 'Bernicia' as with all my ship names, I run it past Memory Alpha and Beta first and then see if it exists in the real world. There was exactly one ship IRL a cargo steamer built in 1923 on the Tyne, so yes, it is EXTREMELY obscure. In all seriousness, I'm wondering if there's a geordie on the Cryptic dev team, I mean there must be. As I said even most of the people who live here are unaware of it's early Medieval name. Had you heard of it? Probably not, by the way the next random name was bleedin'n U.S.S. Asia!

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    My main character's name is Cruzan since 2012-2013 time when I first made him (don't remember the exact date off the top of my head). I did a backstory up for him about how he's an Azurean from another part of the galaxy (he's blue hence species name) and had gone to ye old DS9 one day to outfit a ship. While I was in the shipyard some guy says "oh hey are you a representative of the company", which threw me off. I asked him what he meant "I'm guessing you drink Cruzan rum like I do." I'm still confused and guy says "oh you don't know" so guy PMed me a link to a photo online of a bottle of Cruzan rum. Here I was thinking I had a unique name and nope, apparently I named my main toon after a rum company without realizing it.

Far as other unique names I named one of my ships on another toon the USS Pleiades after the Pleiades star cluster. Also if you follow real life alien conspiracy theory at all, supposedly that's home to a species we refer to as the Nordics/Pleiadians, where we supposedly get our legends of the Elf people from. Decided to make that ship after I saw a guy running around with a toon that looked like the Skinny Bob alien that the KGB supposedly encountered back in the 50s or 60s. Supposedly he was an Emerther alien. Interesting stuff to read about if you want some stuff to draw from for inspiration. Only thing I would caution is for every one thing that can be legit from that stuff, about 20 more are complete hogwash. There's that small bit anyways.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    People tend to think that tings are more obscure then they are.

Example, I am an American that has never been to that region of the world and never really studied it's history and even I know what Bernicia is. How? I watched the TV Show 'The Last Kingdom' which takes place entirely in that region. The main character is trying to claim rulership of Bebbanburg, which is in Bernicia.. it's not 'obscure' at all.

Far as other unique names I named one of my ships on another toon the USS Pleiades after the Pleiades star cluster.

Another great example.. sounds obscure.. but again, I know what it is. I play the game Elite Dangerous and the Pleiades sector is a huge part of the story lore and the main place to find Thargoids.

It's a really cool name for a ship.. well done!

Names aren't as unique and obscure as people think. As for it being in the random name generator, highly unlikely that it was stolen from you, more likely just that they added some random names of cities from that region and it was in there.

It's a cool name, it's pretty unique and should be pretty rare, but there is no reason to think that you exclusively would have that name. I have used plenty of names I thought no one else would have just to see others with the same name. I even named a ship the 'Askara' which was a name I completely made up out of thin air..

Yeah, it's an NPC in WoW. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    It's happened to me as well, thinking up a ship name, click the random generator, and that very name shows up. It was for one of the T5 or T6 vestas way back and I kept it that way.

This game has a lot of coincidences (synchronicity), thinking up a ship or building one, warp in a random TFO to be next to one.

OP, I like your avatar, she's the best, unmatched.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I know the Pleiades cluster from Armada - the Omega mission The Alpha and the Omega part 1 is set there.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    "Example, I am an American that has never been to that region of the world and never really studied it's history and even I know what Bernicia is. How? I watched the TV Show 'The Last Kingdom' which takes place entirely in that region. The main character is trying to claim rulership of Bebbanburg, which is in Bernicia.. it's not 'obscure' at all." -

Ahhh of course. I read the first book but wasn't too keen on the show, wasn't very happy with the way the Northumbrians were portrayed. We were holding off The Scots to the North, Vikings to the East, Rival Saxon kingdoms to the South and still went on to be the most powerful kingdom in Britain prior to Wessex, the show portrayed them as religious weaklings... ah well, that's Hollywood for you, Viking are hot at the moment I guess. If anything that's more anoying as the book starts in 866, 12 years after Bernicia was merged with Deira to become Northumbria... (Sorry, history geek). I've been to Bebbanburg btw (now known as Bamburgh, the name of my Captain's yacht!) well worth a trip if you liked the show. Beautiful scenery, fantastic castle and excellent mead!

It's happened to me as well, thinking up a ship name, click the random generator, and that OP, I like your avatar, she's the best, unmatched.

Thank you! (I wholeheartedly agree).

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I have used a lot of original names for my ships and chars, whai i think is that the names gets into the database and can be used for random generation, becase i have seen a lot of chars and ships with names that i created
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    The Pleiades (aka the Seven Sisters) aren't "obscure" at all, though. It's one of the easiest constellations to spot in the northern hemisphere, and is also the image used on the nameplate for Subaru (the Japanese name for the cluster). It's also astronomically fascinating, being an open cluster of stars that all formed about the same time from the same nebula. (Sadly for ancient-alien conspiracies, they're all B-type blue-white stars that formed less than 100 million years ago; if they have planets, it doesn't seem likely said planets have been around long enough for complex life to evolve there, and they're pretty close to halfway through their time on the main sequence.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I flew a ship named Coriolis before it was added to the game.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Pleiades (aka the Seven Sisters) aren't "obscure" at all, though. It's one of the easiest constellations to spot in the northern hemisphere, and is also the image used on the nameplate for Subaru (the Japanese name for the cluster). It's also astronomically fascinating, being an open cluster of stars that all formed about the same time from the same nebula. (Sadly for ancient-alien conspiracies, they're all B-type blue-white stars that formed less than 100 million years ago; if they have planets, it doesn't seem likely said planets have been around long enough for complex life to evolve there, and they're pretty close to halfway through their time on the main sequence.)

Welp time to show how much I've read of this stuff and probably scare a few people. Supposedly the original homeworld of the Pleiadian/Nordic race was the planet of Avalon in a different part of the galaxy and they had been fighting a war with the Greys and Reptoid races for a long time who wanted to take the planet from them. The war had supposedly been going on for several hundred years at this point. Eventually their military was spread thin and most of them away from the planet. Ceasing the opportunity a combined armada of Greys, Reptoids and possible Insectoid faction (some say a faction of insectoids were present, some say they weren't) attacked the planet and system and were killing people by the millions, some say by the billions. The planet of Avalon sent a distress call but by the time any of their military or military of an allied race could get there, it would be too late as most of their race would have been gone. As they prepared to make a last stand and go out in a blaze of glory, they detected what looked like several wormholes or portals opening up. Out of the portals came several large dreadnought style ships that hadn't been seen in close to 3000 years (some estimates longer, some shorter). The ships belonged to the most advanced species in our galaxy, the Arcturians.

Attacking an Arcturian ship would be the equivalent of the NX-01 attacking 29th century starships. The Arcturians engaged the Greys, Reptoids and Insectoid ships to buy the Nordic/Pleiadian race time to evacuate. Due to sheer number of the enemy fleet the Arcturians wouldn't be able to completely drive them out on their own and after having returned from what some call a higher dimension (debated if it was a higher dimension, different realm, or they simply withdrew from the galaxy for a time) they weren't back to their usual strength yet. They were able to provide enough cover for the survivors to evacuate the system. Eventually they would resettle in the Pleiades star cluster and become more like the Pleiadian/Nordic race we get our legends of the Elf people from. Supposedly the Avalon star system is still occupied by the Reptoids to this day and is a very delicate subject to bring up around one of the Pleiadian/Nordic aliens.

Far from the only conspiracy theory bit I could tell on here, but I'll save the rest for another time. As to how much of that people believe if any, I'll leave up to the individual. At the very least in my book it makes for a fun story and conversation piece. If any of it is true then it sounds like our galaxy would be an interesting place if we ever could get into space.

As for my ship I named it after the Pleiades star cluster and partly the race that's supposed to be from there because they're one of my favorite groups from the alien conspiracy stuff I've read. After seeing the one guy running around as an in game version of Skinny Bob I figured why not. Could be fun to mess with a few people
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I enjoy such fantastical stories sometimes, and in their many other ways they show up, especially as Star Trek.

One has to be aware, they span the entire spectrum, from the comical to the utterly sinister, effortlessly playing the fine line between myth and reality.

Whatever the real source and underlying nature of it all, it is much older and can reshape itself endlessly, often overlapping with other legends such as that of the Trickster.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    There is also a novel series called The Bernicia Chronicles which whoever wrote the list for the random name generator may have read or heard about. A lot of things that would have been really obscure before the internet are a lot less so now.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Any federation ship I commission gets named after an important mathematician from history such as the U.S.S. Gauss, the U.S.S. Noether, and the U.S.S. Ramanujan.
    garaffe wrote: »
    Any federation ship I commission gets named after an important mathematician from history such as the U.S.S. Gauss, the U.S.S. Noether, and the U.S.S. Ramanujan.

I have a USS Gauss too, guess what? It has a rail gun.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Depending on certain things, I have a feeling that the only way you'll have something remotely "unique" for a name is if you go obscure or niche. I've seen a few Wing Commander names in game, even use quite a few myself on a KDF using Kilrathi ship types for ship names. But I have YET to see another Valkyria Chronicles reference, so the USS Melchiott is pretty unique as far as I know.

But there's another factor to consider as well. The origin of a name as well as the name itself. Lets use the Lexington as an example. You could say she's named after the city, the real world navy ship, the battle of Lexington (I believe that that was Revolutionary War alongside Concord), the ship from Babylon 5 that John Sheridan served on during the Earth-Minbari War, or the ship the player flew off of for a while in Wing Commander IV. Same name, but different origins of said name.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I'm to the point I realize nothing is that obscure. if there is another ship with the names i use so be it, But I'd be very surprised that there would be another Mr Mistoffelles. It;s an intentional misspell.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    I get the point of the OP. even in Beta my toon has had USS Altair. I've seen 2-3 others and it irks me. on other toons I expect duplicates. for my connies I use the other ships from TOS, so i expect to see others, if i am not running a theme, I use something related to the class ships, so with the crossfields I'll use a test pilot name, the thing is the list is short.
    Spock.jpg

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Depending on certain things, I have a feeling that the only way you'll have something remotely "unique" for a name is if you go obscure or niche. I've seen a few Wing Commander names in game, even use quite a few myself on a KDF using Kilrathi ship types for ship names. But I have YET to see another Valkyria Chronicles reference, so the USS Melchiott is pretty unique as far as I know.

But there's another factor to consider as well. The origin of a name as well as the name itself. Lets use the Lexington as an example. You could say she's named after the city, the real world navy ship, the battle of Lexington (I believe that that was Revolutionary War alongside Concord), the ship from Babylon 5 that John Sheridan served on during the Earth-Minbari War, or the ship the player flew off of for a while in Wing Commander IV. Same name, but different origins of said name.

I suppose "non-English" city names that aren't super famous could be "unique" in the sense that it's unlikely that someone else or Cryptic has thought of them before. That said if I saw USS Helsinki (which I named the ship my Andorian flew IIRC her current ship isn't named that but I used that for all the others) as random ship name my first thought wouldn't be that Cryptic stole it from me, since the name of the capital of Finland isn't exactly something that's impossible to find out (and thanks to certain Cold War era treaties it's not totally impossible that an American company would think use that name without prompting from others).

However the name of my current hometown is obscure enough that I wouldn't think it would be very likely that it would be found in random ship name lists.
    edited November 2021
    I get the point of the OP. even in Beta my toon has had USS Altair. I've seen 2-3 others and it irks me. on other toons I expect duplicates. for my connies I use the other ships from TOS, so i expect to see others, if i am not running a theme, I use something related to the class ships, so with the crossfields I'll use a test pilot name, the thing is the list is short.
    Altair is a fairly well-known star. As an A-type that's less than 17 lightyears away, it's pretty bright, and it forms one corner of the Summer Triangle frequently used for navigation (for those without GPS). If you want a named star that's less well-known, may I recommend Mizar? It's part of the handle of the Big Dipper, and forms a naked-eye binary with the fainter Alcor (it's actually a quaternary system, but the other two stars are too faint to be seen with your own eye). In ancient times, the ability to see Mizar and Alcor as separate stars was used as a test of the keenness of one's vision - even without light pollution, I would have trouble making out Alcor even with my glasses on.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Altair is a fairly well-known star. As an A-type that's less than 17 lightyears away, it's pretty bright, and it forms one corner of the Summer Triangle frequently used for navigation (for those without GPS).
    IMO, any "Altair" ship is more likely to come from fans of the Assassin's Creed series who don't know the combo of keys to make a "ï" than astronomy aficionados.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have seen dozens of ships named Altair. The fact that anyone would expect that name to be obscure or unique is a perfect example of people just having unrealistic expectations. The Altair was even an unused Star Trek design that has an Eaglemoss Model.

You're talking about a game that has players from all over the world, whatever name you think is 'obscure,' it isn't.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    I never said Altair was obscure, just that it irks me. I tend to name ships for that toon for astronomical alignment stars, Altair, Vega, Tarazed, so forth.
    Spock.jpg

• captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you want a named star that's less well-known, may I recommend Mizar?

This might be another example of what rattler2 said about name sources, and also context being important.

The Mizarians are a Trek race, so I'd say this name/star wouldn't count as obscure in this game. In another game with ship names, maybe it would count as obscure:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Mizarian

-K
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    spiritborn wrote: »
    However the name of my current hometown is obscure enough that I wouldn't think it would be very likely that it would be found in random ship name lists.

Funny story. When I first got a T2 ship all those years ago... I picked the Cruiser. The default name she came with... was the name of my home town. Now... when people think about the Pacific Northwest, specifically Washington, they probably think of Seattle, maybe Bremerton.

So... I got the USS Tacoma, by default. I didn't hit random. That was the name she came with! Now maybe there's some significance I'm missing, but... still... was kind of a shock to see that name come with a ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I'd say there is - 4 different ships had the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tacoma​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    South Tacoma Way is a good song

I have naming methods for each of my toons
    One is Romulan words for the rom dictionary (The romulan)
    One is Andorian placenames and mythological figures from memory beta (My main)
    One is famous boats from my country (My first character)
    and the last, the stars of the Pleiades' names from different cultures. (Temp. recruit)
    There's also the kling recruit but.. I haven't really played them enough to have a scheme for naming yet.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
    There's a song about South Tacoma Way??? Are there three separate verses about car dealerships?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    it's about grief and homesickness and regret?

Thrice All American from the some album however, is all about Tacoma, but it's not as good a song though
    More empty buildings and closed down factories than dealerships, it's from the 90s though so maybe they hadn't opened yet.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
This discussion has been closed.