test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Friday Sale 2021

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,365 Arc User
a8bce24457a1d0e7a27280832e363b761637283880.png
148427a8a1101572673eb4c261f3d29d1605302309.jpg

Starting today, November 24th, at 8am PT (17:00 CET), Star Trek Online is having one of its biggest sales ever. Experience massive savings across all platforms and in almost every in-game store, brand new items being released for the first time, and a limited time bundle only available during this sale.

Presume that the text is a copy-paste, as not aware that there is anything "brand new" being released on this occasion.

Comments

• skitxxskitxx Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    yeah this black friday sale is just utter... utter TRIBBLE... Mudd only and no sale on the anny bundles? REALLY? c'mon cryptic...... you are better than this. Was looking forward to purchasing the 10th anny bundle as I finally could afford it but I guess cryptic doesn't want my money....
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,365 Arc User
    skitxx wrote: »
    yeah this black friday sale is just utter... utter TRIBBLE... Mudd only and no sale on the anny bundles? REALLY? c'mon cryptic...... you are better than this. Was looking forward to purchasing the 10th anny bundle as I finally could afford it but I guess cryptic doesn't want my money....

To be honest... this sale IS a bit weaksauce in my opinion. I mean, last year's Black Friday sale offered a 30% Zen Charge bonus as well as a better selection of items:
    https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480813-black-friday%3A-the-final-frontier
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 7,510 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Starting today, November 24th, at 8am PT (17:00 CET), Star Trek Online is having one of its biggest sales ever. Experience massive savings across all platforms and in almost every in-game store, brand new items being released for the first time, and a limited time bundle only available during this sale.

Presume that the text is a copy-paste, as not aware that there is anything "brand new" being released on this occasion.

Well, there is the one new Mudd's bundle. But nothing else "new", true.

And not even a lobi sale.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 807 Arc User
    Inflation Black Friday Sale hard pass this year. They make it sound the Mudd Market Bundle Sale at 50% off is a Black Friday deal yet it is the same sale every time they bring out a Mudd Bundle...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    Seems uninspiring to me, but hopefully there's enough whales to keep Cryptic afloat.
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    Seems uninspiring to me, but hopefully there's enough whales to keep Cryptic afloat.

To be honest, this particular Whale has seen a few too many harpoons at this point.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Yeesh...this is what they call one of their "biggest sales ever"?

I still think it's ever so cheeky to charge for items that used to be episode rewards. Just apply them to new episodes, instead of the rubbish they give away these days...or ideally, bring those retired episodes back to the fore with full rewards!

I loved earning my Shard, Cane, (do you remember when they used to be recurring special event rewards?) Jem'Hadar ground set and Borg space set even, back in the day. It should just be greats rewards for playing (and enjoying) episodes, not monotonous grinding on pew-pew events and poor episode rewards.
  • hayasdanhayasdan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I am probably a role model whale in this game and was looking forward to getting seriously harpooned by Cryptic this Black Friday, but this sale is really really underwhelming. Nothing really new, no extraordinary discounts, no discount at all on event buyout (so much for cstore sale...), and bundles excluded from Mudd sale. Especially disappointing when compared to previous black fridays. So this is a hard pass even for an easily excitable marine mammal like me... Guess they don't need money anymore or something...
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 9,540 Arc User
    Yes, not exciting. Haven't we had 30% off the zen store before?

Also some past sales have included bonuses with the zen charge like hologram TV characters. Here it's just a not very thrilling +20%
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I had saved up my Zen, and was prepared to actually buy some more figuring on the 30% sale, to pick up the Dreadnaught bundle since I was interested in those ships. But since Cryptic dropped the percentage off of the Zen sale "for the biggest sale of the year", and isn't even offering the bundle I want for sale, I'll pass.

Must have been a great year for Cryptic since they clearly don't want my money. You would think with so many people out of work or struggling that they would offer bigger deals to draw people in, not smaller sales.
  • corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 1,544 Arc User
    edited November 2021

To be honest... this sale IS a bit weaksauce in my opinion. I mean, last year's Black Friday sale offered a 30% Zen Charge bonus as well as a better selection of items:
    https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480813-black-friday%3A-the-final-frontier

There's a lot they dropped from this year's sale that had been present in past years. So, yeah, very underwhelming.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Kind of sad about the lack of the Lobi shop participation in the event.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè

• kaosbainkaosbain Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    We'll see what they offer for a Christmas/New Year sale in a month, they usually have something for sale then too. If it will be as sad as this one, then I'll just save my zen for next year's Black Friday Sale.
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 7,510 Arc User

There's a lot they dropped from this year's sale that had been present in past years. So, yeah, very underwhelming.

Yeah. I actually had two different plans for the lobi sale... and then we don't get one at all.

Which actually is a good thing since I still haven't gotten an answer on the f******ng EV suit question, so I don't know which of those two plans I would be activating.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,118 Bug Hunter
    I've been sitting on a pile of Zen in anticipation of STO's black friday sales, but after looking at what's being offered I think I will end up still sitting on a pile of Zen for a while longer.

This year's sale seems... unimpressive.

Ah, well.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,746 Arc User
    *Yawn*

Lame.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Booted up computer.

Took out credit card.

Clicked link to sale blog.

*#%@!!!

Put credit card away.

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 2,962 Arc User
    The Kelvin bundle no longer available?
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »

It vanished just before the sale started. Maybe it will be back next year.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè

• corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 1,544 Arc User
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    avoozuul wrote: »

It vanished just before the sale started. Maybe it will be back next year.

There's a chance of it being around for Christmas sale, too.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    When the Kelvin bundle came out the Outta this Wormhole bundle disappeared too. The wormhole bundle was the only Mudd package that even interested me.

I hope Corinthalas is right and these sets come back (at 75% off). But I have this capitalist feeling that Cryptic realized that 75% was too low. I’m not sure these will come back—and if they do it will be made to appear random.

Nothing pushes a fear of missing out like a Disney Vault. You better buy that Mudd Pack at 50% now—there is little chance you will ever see it again.

That being said, Kael told a livestream that Mudds is not intended as the final resting place for timegated items—maybe they will get put in the regular zen store at a reasonable price...a month before they close the servers...

Woah, woah! That’s too much cynicism even for me. I think I’ve outdone myself.
  • live8evillive8evil Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I guess i'll leave my two cents as well: this new mudds bundle is the worst ship/zen ratio deal i've seen on release. CCa. 5K zen per ship. And also - that's my opinion - there is only one realy desirable ship in the pack - the s31 heavy battlecruiser. Ok i get the appeal of the Son'a ship trait and the competence of the ugly voth rampart, but still... i don't see myself ever using them for anything else, than as admirality cards and that's alot for 100€ (not counting the s31 battlecruiser, which is probably "worth" those 50 bucks).

Take care
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    When the Kelvin bundle came out the Outta this Wormhole bundle disappeared too. The wormhole bundle was the only Mudd package that even interested me.

I hope Corinthalas is right and these sets come back (at 75% off). But I have this capitalist feeling that Cryptic realized that 75% was too low. I’m not sure these will come back—and if they do it will be made to appear random.

Nothing pushes a fear of missing out like a Disney Vault. You better buy that Mudd Pack at 50% now—there is little chance you will ever see it again.

That being said, Kael told a livestream that Mudds is not intended as the final resting place for timegated items—maybe they will get put in the regular zen store at a reasonable price...a month before they close the servers...

Woah, woah! That’s too much cynicism even for me. I think I’ve outdone myself.

Keep in mind it's not Cryptics capitalistic feelings that drive their sale prices or even their non-ending sales, it's PWE.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,746 Arc User
    Keep in mind it's not Cryptics capitalistic feelings that drive their sale prices or even their non-ending sales, it's PWE.

Well said and completely correct.

Remember guys, when it comes to games there are 3 sections of people..

1. Players - Basically us, those that enjoy the game (or sometimes not.)
    2. Developers - People that make and maintain the game. Most of these guys are also players, and a lot of them genuinely want to see the game do well and succeed.
    3. Executives - These people rarely play the game or even know anything about it. They are accountants, they are concerned with how much money goes in and how much comes out.

The unfortunate part for many games like this one is that group 3 handles the money so they're in control. When you see things like predatory cash grabs, bloat bundles, overpriced lock boxes, those things are rarely the idea of group 2, and are almost universally hated by group 1.

I will get mad at the developers from time to time about certain in game things, nerfs, bugs, etc.. but things like bloat bundles and lock boxes are not their fault.. they have about as much say in how the game is monetized as we do..

None.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Yeah, not even their 10-ship pack lol. That's like the only thing I could buy that I don't already have. The elachi ship would be good just for the trait but not at that price for 3 ships I don't even want.

Well said and completely correct.

Remember guys, when it comes to games there are 3 sections of people..

1. Players - Basically us, those that enjoy the game (or sometimes not.)
    2. Developers - People that make and maintain the game. Most of these guys are also players, and a lot of them genuinely want to see the game do well and succeed.
    3. Executives - These people rarely play the game or even know anything about it. They are accountants, they are concerned with how much money goes in and how much comes out.

The unfortunate part for many games like this one is that group 3 handles the money so they're in control. When you see things like predatory cash grabs, bloat bundles, overpriced lock boxes, those things are rarely the idea of group 2, and are almost universally hated by group 1.

I will get mad at the developers from time to time about certain in game things, nerfs, bugs, etc.. but things like bloat bundles and lock boxes are not their fault.. they have about as much say in how the game is monetized as we do..

None.

Absolutely agree. And group 3 is almost definitely the reason the DilEx issue isn't really being addressed.
    And even if if it were, they always have high-demand sales queued up to ensure that it wouldn't do any lasting good (because apparently the scheduling of their sales is some law of nature that can't be altered).
  • turbofalconturbofalcon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Getting pretty tired to be treated like some kind of mindless consumer who is expected to jump on the tiniest bone they toss over the fence. To me, this is PW saying, "we don't care what you think, we still call the shots, and this is all you deserve."

That's great, because I'm not compelled to dump any more money into this game.