test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risian Kit Frame vs T-88 Kit Frame

devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
I just finished the annual event and got a box of 1500 Lobi. Now I can finally buy those fancy T-88s for my toons. But should I?

My five toons have a fully upgraded Risian kit frame. The frame gives a 40% increase to ranged weapon damage. That works well with the TR-116b and Zeframe Cochrane Shotgun. I rarely use energy weapons except for endeavors.

The T-88 gives a 15% phaser damage increase and a 2.3% critical chance increase, along with significant improvements to shields, armor, HP, and kit readiness. An upgrade to Mk XV will doubtlessly raise those values.

The T-88 sounds like a great kit frame if you have phaser weapons. But I'm in love with kinetic weapons because you don't have to remodulate when fighting Borg, and they have 100% shield penetration. This makes them practically twice as powerful as any energy weapon.

I'm open to suggestions. Would it be worth it for me to spend 200 Lobi on a kit frame that gives a small crit chance increase but no damage increase? I'm leaning toward no, but I'd like to see discussion from other players.

Warp me!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I tried using the Risian and was seriously surprised at how quickly my toon went down. At the moment I'm using the T-88 over my previous Romulan Imperium and I'm very happy with it.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    I tried using the Risian and was seriously surprised at how quickly my toon went down. At the moment I'm using the T-88 over my previous Romulan Imperium and I'm very happy with it.
    What armor and PSG were you using with the Risian kit frame?
  • devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    protoneous wrote: »
    kayajay wrote: »
    What armor and PSG were you using with the Risian kit frame?

For most situations I use the MACO armor and PSG.
    Maybe it comes down to personal taste? Both the Risian and T-88 kit frames are very nice but think I might miss the extra kit performance... it's powerful stuff.

I use a fleet kit frame in combination with Burnham's CQC Armor that's rated at +10% CrtH, +40% CrtD and +15% physical damage as well as very decent resists.

Like yourself I'm going Lobi for the event reward but if I already had 5 toons with the Risian kit Frame I'd maybe try one T-88 to see how it feels in comparison just as a treat. The Risian kit frame just seems to focus so much on all the good stuff (for me at least).

I don't spec into PSG or resists on my ground skill tree and don't seem to miss it even on a toon with a base KPx2 CrtX Delta kit frame. Again just personal taste.

voVXnWH.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    The T-88 is specifically designed to be used in tandem with the other LD stuff - any of the weapons of your choice, plus the Space Explorer is a Great Gig trait...and then after that, anything you can squeeze in that boosts KCD, and by extension, KPerf.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    The T-88 is specifically designed to be used in tandem with the other LD stuff - any of the weapons of your choice, plus the Space Explorer is a Great Gig trait...and then after that, anything you can squeeze in that boosts KCD, and by extension, KPerf.​​

Ah thanks for this ^ as I hadn't looked at the other items. The T-88 is making more sense with this in mind.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Trait:_Space_Explorer_is_a_Great_Gig

https://i.imgur.com/3o2GjSf.png <-- more photos of some related items source
    westmetals wrote: »
    I am not familiar with the others, but the Risian is re-engineerable.

Lol. Yeah, I should have seen that before.
  • dixon#4204 dixon Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Yes, the fact that the Risian is re-engineerable tips the scale firmly in its favour for me.

I guess the T-88 is supposed to be a not-so-obvious set piece, kind of like the reputation sets, but without extra abilities when you combine two or more pieces. For my purposes, I guess the T-88 isn't for me, only because I'm still married to kinetic weapons for shield penetration and the Borg inability to adapt. The Lower Decks stuff performs very well, but right now I'm too stubborn to change.
This discussion has been closed.