test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming Changes to Minimum Requirements

Comments

• borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    A good rule of thumb about Nvidia cards is that the last two digits are the speed within the series, and anything to the left of that is the base series number. If you chop those last two digits off the 400 series is 4 and the 1050 that so many people seem to have here is 10, and 10 is higher than 4 so you're good.

The real problem is years away, when Microsoft kills Windows10 because Windows 11 requires circuitry that is touted as being "safer" (easier for Microsoft to extort money from users more like, but beside the point here) that the vast majority of computers today lack.

I would prefer if the game went to the open-standard, cross-platform Vulkan instead of the rapaciously proprietary and locked to a single OS DX system, but incremental changes are often cheaper than switching to an entirely different one so that is unlikely to ever happen unfortunately.

The only reason I put up with windows anymore is gaming, and Microsoft makes sure that they have a near-monopoly on that sector by breaking backwards compatibility often enough that cross-platform developers cannot keep up.

Agreed with Vulkan.

The digit numbering is valid for AMD also, not only for nV.

And don't worry, they will not cut-off DX from W10 in favor of 11.
    They will have to think of another extorsion method this time.

• skiesofnightskiesofnight Member Posts: 1 New User
    Good lord I never imagend that updating the system requirements from mouldy potato to regular potato would cause this much drama.
    If you're using Windows 7 you've been taking risks. Windows stopped issuing security updates years ago.

These requirements are not asking much at all. I can run the game on a terrible tablet with a dual core celeron and intel hd graphics.
  • cisticolacisticola Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    I love win 7, just the best OS I've used through the years. But, you know, may be it's time to upgrade again. Would not take much, in my case a new motherboard and cpu, pretty simple and not expensive. I'll wait to see what Cryptics final word is though as Win 7 does support Direct3D Feature Level 11.0.

Peace guys, have fun in game.

• hebdahebda Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    I don't know what all the hoopla is about. This isn't the first time that Cryptic has changed the specs for the game. When this game launched it supported Windows XP 32bit and DX 9, seven years (2017) went by before they changed the specs and dropped XP and DX 9 support. Windows 7 released in 2009, a few months before the game launched and Windows 10 had already been released for almost 2 years. When they made the changes back then, you had to have a video card that supported DX 10 and the game itself supported DX 10 and 11. Now they are saying that you have to be able to run DX 11, which means that our beloved game is going to probably be getting a boost in graphics again.

Now I absolutely understand the video card complaints here. If your card doesn't support DX 11, it's near impossible to find a card reasonably priced and probably even more difficult to find a card that just meets the new minimum requirements. I feel for you folks, I know I can't afford to spend $600 plus on the lowest end video card either.

If the current trends holds, most people will just have to upgrade to Windows 10 and you'll be good for another 4-7 years. I've been running Windows 10 since beta and I have never had an issue with it. Not even a BSOD.

And for those who say Windows XP and 7 are the best versions of Windows, you're wrong, 3.11 was the best version of Windows....and DOS 6.22 was the best operating system......yeah I'm pretty old....lol

Also, just to play devils advocate here, for those that says that Windows 7 support being removed because it is no longer supported, well neither is Windows 8 or 8.1 at the consumer level. You can't even get security updates for them. 7-8.1 are all in the "extended support" part of their lifecycles and "extended support does not apply to the consumer versions of Windows, only volume licenses get extended support. SOOOOO, why in the world is Cryptic even supporting Windows 8/8.1? That version of Windows was right up there with Windows 98/Me/Vista in terms of usability, features, functions, and aesthetics.
    Post edited by hebda on
    “In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death…..even vegetarians.” – Spock
  • mithril84922mithril84922 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    whats up with the latest? my pc was working just freaking fine and now i have sound and can log in but my star trek sceen is all black ive reinstalled...... what the heck is going on?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    whats up with the latest? my pc was working just freaking fine and now i have sound and can log in but my star trek sceen is all black ive reinstalled...... what the heck is going on?

It is not the dropping of some of the obsolete DirectX stuff, that does not happen until January. There is a thread about black screen in General Discussion here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1264447/black-screen-after-todays-patch

it would probably be more useful than this thread.
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    I just search on google for cards that support the bare minimum requirements to run the game...$20 bucks...Come on people...It's 2021 We gotta move forward or get left behind.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    My current set up can't run Win 11, but it's well within parameters for the upcoming changes to the minimum requirements. :smiley:
    My current set up can't run Win 11, but it's well within parameters for the upcoming changes to the minimum requirements. :smiley:

Mine cannot run Win 11 either but that is not going to be a problem for at least a few more years since it runs 10.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    As of today, players whose system doesn't meet the upcoming requirements for Windows 8/10 or Direct3D Feature Level 11 will be notified upon starting the game launcher. They will still be able to play under their current system until February 15, 2022 when the system changes will go live. We strongly recommend updating prior to the change.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I got the warning and i am running windows 10 with an intel 5500 card and dx11.
    YAY only a settings change I had forgotten about cause STO wasnt working with Winblows 10 when I first got it.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    > @fred26291#2759 said:
    > I got the warning and i am running windows 10 with an intel 5500 card and dx11.
    > I have no money to spend on a new computer so i guess come Feb 15th, unless something changes, I am off STO for good. BYE BYE STO it was nice knowing ya.

Hey there. Can you reach out to support.arcgames.com? They can help.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Thanks Kael, did that problem fixed, settings issue thankfully :) NO DELETION NECESSARY!
  • aquilonia#9571 aquilonia Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    As of today, players whose system doesn't meet the upcoming requirements for Windows 8/10 or Direct3D Feature Level 11 will be notified upon starting the game launcher. They will still be able to play under their current system until February 15, 2022 when the system changes will go live. We strongly recommend updating prior to the change.

So you guys are more bent on losing a quarter of your player base, as opposed to fixing the hundred thousand or so bugs in your code. Nice.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

So you guys are more bent on losing a quarter of your player base, as opposed to fixing the hundred thousand or so bugs in your code. Nice.

I don't think it will be anywhere near that much, but maybe the legacy systems and OS's are a big part of the reason why so many bugs and issues still are a massive problem with the game. I'm not going to say all, because clearly the engine is just way too ancient to still be in use, but still.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

This post does nothing but establish you as a completely non credible poster. From your assumption of this effecting 25% of the player base to the completely made up number of a ‘hundred thousand or so’ bugs this is nothing but guess work based on hot headed emotion and a lack of application of any common sense.

All you did here was embarrass yourself.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jargonautsjargonauts Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »

Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.

You clearly have no idea how idiotic that statement is.

I clearly Understand how idiotic kaithan1975 is
    With a Phaser or Lightsaber it doesnt matter to me
    edited November 2021
    Perfectworld is being really stupid & lazy & possibly Greedy about getting rid of Win 7.

Major game Launchers = Steam , GOG

Steam uses most OS from Vista to up to now depending on the game
    Steam uses most DX versions which depends on the game

I have even heard Steam uses Win 98 OS on some games

GOG uses (mostly) the Old OS like Win 95 to Vista depending on the game
    GOG uses Most DX versions depending on what game
    GOG does have newer games but not as Much as the Older games

Steam and GOG seem to team up alot of the time. They don't delete an OS they are still using them

Biggest loser in Game Launcher = Epic Games

They are greedy, there launcher is Buggy as Krap, there exclusive title games makes them even more greedy

So where does most other game Launchers fall in line are? that answer is in the middle.

And where does Perfectworld Game Launcher fall in line at ? If they continue with getting rid of Win 7 then they fall very close to or even next to Epic Games.

They could fix alot of issues but they rather be lazy about it & get rid of Win 7. When most launchers still use it and actually fix there problems. This also makes them very Stupid. As far as I know they are the only Launcher System that is doing this Stupid stunt.

As far as the best OS systems

WIN 98 SE the best
    Win 7 2nd Best
    MS Dos 6.22 coming in 3rd best

As far as the worse OS systems

Win 95 the worse
    Win Vista the 2nd worse

As far as the most worthless

Win ME 1st
    Win 8 2nd
    Win 10 3rd
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    jargonauts wrote: »
    Edited all the nonsense

Just your ratings on Windows versions disqualifies you from having any meaningful input. It's pretty obvious DOS is about the most you can handle.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Perfectworld is being really stupid & lazy & possibly Greedy about getting rid of Win 7.

Steam and GOG seem to team up alot of the time. They don't delete an OS they are still using them

They are greedy, there launcher is Buggy as Krap, there exclusive title games makes them even more greedy

So where does most other game Launchers fall in line are? that answer is in the middle.

And where does Perfectworld Game Launcher fall in line at ? If they continue with getting rid of Win 7 then they fall very close to or even next to Epic Games.

They could fix alot of issues but they rather be lazy about it & get rid of Win 7. When most launchers still use it and actually fix there problems. This also makes them very Stupid. As far as I know they are the only Launcher System that is doing this Stupid stunt.

WIN 98 SE the best
    Win 7 2nd Best

Win 95 the worse
    Win Vista the 2nd worse

Win ME 1st
    Win 8 2nd
    Win 10 3rd

So your justification for why dropping Windows 7 support for STO is a negative, comes down to 2 primary factors. Those factors are the fact that Steam and GoG which are Game Stores, not actual games.. supports Windows 7 coupled with your personal ranking on which Windows (and apparently DOS) versions are the 'best.'

To say your post is short sided would be an understatement and a half. PWE and Microsoft have both given valid reasons why Windows 7 support has been dropped, this is just you refusing to accept it. The good news is, your acceptance is ultimately irrelevant and it's happening rather you like it or not.

But congratulations on a truly stupid post.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited November 2021

WIN 98 SE the best
    Win 7 2nd Best

Win 95 the worse
    Win Vista the 2nd worse

Win ME 1st
    Win 8 2nd
    Win 10 3rd

According to Steam, Win7 accounts for less than five percent of the active gamers on their platform. Win10 on the other hand is about 90% (it was just over 90% last June, but they lost close to 2% in that OS since then from people switching to Win11). The combined non-Windows OS numbers are close to the number of Win7 ones, and both MacOS and Linux are heavily handicapped by lack of true DirectX compatibility and the abysmally low adoption of Vulkan by mainline games.

I don't know what percentage of people playing STO do it via Steam, but unless all of Win7 using people on Steam play STO actively it is unlikely that dropping Win7 would make a noticeable difference in the number of active STO players.

So your justification for why dropping Windows 7 support for STO is a negative, comes down to 2 primary factors. Those factors are the fact that Steam and GoG which are Game Stores, not actual games.. .'

To say your post is short sided would be an understatement and a half. PWE and Microsoft have both given valid reasons why Windows 7 support has been dropped, this is just you refusing to accept it. The good news is, your acceptance is ultimately irrelevant and it's happening rather you like it or not.

But congratulations on a truly stupid post.

Yes Steam and GOG are game Stores just like ARC is too. I didnt say They were games which shows how really stupid you are. They are Game Launchers just like ARC . And Microsoft only Good Reason for Windows 7 support to be dropped is they want to make money. Win 8 is total Garbage this was the reason they created Win 10. And Win 11 is being created because Win 10 is Garbage. Win 10 was suppose to be the last and they would only do updates but you see Win 11 is coming out which says in soo many words by Microsoft that Win 10 is garbage.

But you and kaithan1975 are nothing but Trolls with kaithan1975 I know he is trolling from the start which makes him a Bigger pathetic loser than you but not by that much
  • millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    EDIT: This post was supposed to have been made in a different thread. I must have messed up with tabs or something.
    Post edited by millefune#8468 on
  • say10#9094 say10 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is anyone else getting the pop up even though you DO have the correct requirements? If so any fixes known? I keep getting the pop up and so far suggestions from support have been less then helpful.
  • raijinmeister#1931 raijinmeister Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    Considering how bugs are dealt here I will be surprised if the launcher starts after this update.
    Win 10 makes easy to create loot boxes? Honest question.
    say10#9094 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting the pop up even though you DO have the correct requirements? If so any fixes known? I keep getting the pop up and so far suggestions from support have been less then helpful.

I am not getting that popup, though the fact that some people are getting it even on systems that meet the requirements is a good illustration of how unreliable those hardware/software probes are, and the older software (including the backport to Win7) is even more complex to probe to determine which commands the client machine can handle.
This discussion has been closed.