Install Arc

Crashes when trying to log on.

2»

Comments

• dunhillion#3648 dunhillion Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Still crashing after today's patch.... :-/
  • stherosthero Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Haven't bothered to update. Will wait till I read about some positive outcomes. Support asked me to do a traceroute and send them the txt file incl the name of my ISP and the part of the world I play from. Done that and now waiting for their reply.
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

Assimilation is the Key to Happiness.
    :D
  • simonwaterssimonwaters Member Posts: 29 Arc User

Yup. Been about 10 days or so since I could play. Frustrating as hell. Trying to stay calm. Is there another way to play besides ARC? I've invested a lot in those characters, and don't want to have to start all over again.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User

Yup. Been about 10 days or so since I could play. Frustrating as hell. Trying to stay calm. Is there another way to play besides ARC? I've invested a lot in those characters, and don't want to have to start all over again.

I don't believe ARC is the factor - my Surface Pro 3 was setup using the original installer (no Steam, no Arc, no Epic). Still crashes to desktop a few seconds after the character list comes up. ESD background shows, and it pauses for a few seconds like it is trying to load the character models, then crashes.

But to answer your question - it can be installed with Steam, and with Epic. I just don't think it will make a difference. I haven't gotten the OG installer to work on a new Windows 10 install in at least 18 months or 2 years, something changed at some point.
  • mankoimankoi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure what's crashing it is the lighting effect that appears under your character on the selection screen. Given all the other bug reports, they definitely broke something related to the bloom. That being said, I was able to get past the login screen once and it still crashed a few moments after loading in my ship at ESD, so I think it's the lighting in general, and not that one specific lighting effect.
  • bear805bear805 Member Posts: 4 Arc User

Still crashes to desktop a few seconds after the character list comes up. ESD background shows, and it pauses for a few seconds like it is trying to load the character models, then crashes.
    this is exactly my issue as well

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited November 2021

You can play directly through the Star Trek Online launcher. Bypassing Arc and/or Steam.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    sthe91 wrote: »

You can play directly through the Star Trek Online launcher. Bypassing Arc and/or Steam.

Mine crashes using the original launcher (no Arc or Steam). It doesn't crash until it tries to load the character models - so depending on their computer, it may make no difference. I'm lucky that I have other PCs that load in.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    sthe91 wrote: »

Mine crashes using the original launcher (no Arc or Steam). It doesn't crash until it tries to load the character models - so depending on their computer, it may make no difference. I'm lucky that I have other PCs that load in.

Now that is surprising! Adds a wrinkle to the bug.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    mankoi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure what's crashing it is the lighting effect that appears under your character on the selection screen. Given all the other bug reports, they definitely broke something related to the bloom. That being said, I was able to get past the login screen once and it still crashed a few moments after loading in my ship at ESD, so I think it's the lighting in general, and not that one specific lighting effect.

By chance have you tried editing your gamepref file and changing dynamiclights and bloom to 0?
    mankoi wrote: »

By chance have you tried editing your gamepref file and changing dynamiclights and bloom to 0?

Still happening today. I checked this - and bloomquality and dynamiclights were already set to 0 on my system. Bloomintesity was set to 1, changed to 0, no difference. For anyone who wants to fiddle with it - file is called gameprefs.pref, and is located under Star Trek Online\Live\localdata, but it didn't help my machine.

Out of the ongoing bugs, this one is the most worrisome. I have another machine, and can run the event, but those who are only running on affected machines may miss out on the campaign if it takes them another 2-3 weeks to fix this.

• ryuujinjjakkaryuujinjjakka Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    14 days now...no log in whatsoever...it seems the low spec PCs have been completely left for good on this one. Sign of the times? maybe.

Im also on a Intel 4400 Integrated graphics. I already got the main yearly promotion, but Im losing more and more the interest in keeping this game...maybe another 1/2 year hiatus is in for me.
  • vilecalamitousvilecalamitous Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    Today's patch seems to have resolved crashing on the character screen, for me at least.
  • mostarac34#5818 mostarac34 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    It's resolved for me as well... at last
    This one seems to be resolved for me as well.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Yeah! They fixed it! It looks great! Thanks ninja-patch! Thanks Cryptic!!!