test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Crashing to Desktop From Character Screen

I am able to launch STO through the launcher.The game crashes and I return to my desktop screen with a crash report once the character screen comes up.

I have tried everything including reinstalling the game on Arc and Steam making sure STO was on my antivirus exceptions list and cleaning out my disk drives and installing new drivers on Windows many times but I still have crashes. It started Nov.2 when new EV suit slot came out .Before Nov.2 it was working just fine.

Comments

• stherosthero Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Welcome to the club, mate!
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

Assimilation is the Key to Happiness.
    :D
  • stevend82stevend82 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Same here, is their any ideas that actually work or do we have to wait for the right patch from the developers?

• jacopo472jacopo472 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    it's so for me too
    to hear the support, it seems that my intel hd4400 card is no longer supported
    but , Will this really be the reason?
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I think kind of Jacopo, yes. Technically the intel cards are supported and the plan is to have them be the minimum standard for STO in 2021.

The problem is the new explosions are more resource heavy than the developers intended. Ideally, they want STO to be available on as many computers as possible. That is just good business for them. Unfortunately they can’t seem to figure out how to fix it without removing the new explosions, that they sunk a lot of time and energy into upgrading. That and seeing how few complaints they have had relative to say the black screen bug. There really doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of STO players using crappy intel cards.

That being said, the last official word from Kael was that they thought they fixed it (although a relevant fix was never listed in the patch notes) and they are apparently “still working” on fixing it. But it seems less and less likely that they will.

I have found if I disable my video driver and set the renderscale to .25 I can play. But it looks like garbage and runs the CPU very hot.

Other options include, but are not limited to: getting a new computer or external video card, a cloud game streaming service, prayer (because the odds are better than petitioning a developer on this forum..
    Post edited by qultuq on
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    I think kind of Jacopo, yes. Technically the intel cards are supported and the plan is to have them be the minimum standard for STO in 2021.

The problem is the new explosions are more resource heavy than the developers intended. Ideally, they want STO to be available on as many computers as possible. That is just good business for them. Unfortunately they can’t seem to figure out how to fix it without removing the new explosions, that they sunk a lot of time and energy into upgrading. That and seeing how few complaints they have had relative to say the black screen bug. There really doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of STO players using crappy intel cards.

It can't be the explosions graphics in themselves, those simply wouldn't keep people from logging in. If they were the problem it would be when intel gpu's tried to render them. As the OP posted, his problem didn't start until the EV suit update, which was a week after the explosion change happened.
    edited November 2021
    No. The Ev suits and explosions were released the same time. And it is the bloom in the lighting effect on the character screen causing the crash. The increased bloom for the explosions is also what caused lighting issues in Sphere of Influence.

You can read the Nov 2 patch notes too Again if you want:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11501373-pc-patch-notes-for-1/2/21

I assure you though because I am affected by this bug (Intel 4600) I have read all the threads here and on Reddit about this topic.

Here is what Kael said according to Som:

“Thought they fixed crashing on character screen, are diving back into possible causes now that its reported it hasn't been fully solved.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/qrbrau/ten_forward_weekly_111021/

Sto minimum requirement after Feb 2022: “Intel 4000 or better”

“To play Star Trek Online and Neverwinter after February 15, 2022 you will need a video card that supports Direct3D Feature Level 11.0 or better. This includes:

• NVidia GeForce GTX 400 or better

• ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5000 or better

• Intel HD Graphics 4000 or better“

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497603-upcoming-os-and-directx-support-changes
    Post edited by qultuq on
    so Im running Intel Core i7-4790, Win 10 Pro, Intel Graphics HD 4600. Technically I should be fine right? lol
    edited November 2021
    It seems to have been fixed with the latest patch! Please let us know if you are still having problems.

If not, happy gaming!
    Post edited by qultuq on
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Constant booting, constant rubber banding since Monday night.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    qultuq wrote: »
    It seems to have been fixed with the latest patch! Please let us know if you are still having problems.

If not, happy gaming![/quote

So far so good!
  • erragarerragar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I am crashing after selecting a character to play and hit enter. At between 68-76% loaded it crashes. There is a crash ID, which I'll provide the next time I get it.
  • erragarerragar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Incident ID
    4194ce