test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Prodigy

garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
edited October 2021 in Ten Forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mT8VYUDkgk

live reaction to eps 1 , better than any wars animated I have seen . the deck is amazing . watch the end credits, the warp is just brilliant
run ... run .., if you don't run the show won't continue ... ship is falling ... ok they got it working ... through the waterfall ... classic ... and the ship is clean now ... turn turn turn the ship ... pew pew button ... YESSSS PHASERRRRRSSSS ... telerits personality ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86LUdt-3o_0
Post edited by garaks31 on

Comments

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    very promising, can't wait to see the next episodes
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Are you freaking kidding me? I'm 19 minutes in and I've been tempted to stop and go watch somewthing else. this pilot was clearly written as "Star Wars: Prodigy" everything from the clone-wars animation to the plethora of aliens and droids to the tech. it all screams a long time ago in a galaxy far,far, away.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    I don't see that. Is Star Trek not allowed to have a "plethora of aliens"? We got a frickin' Medusan, which hasn't been seen since TOS for crying out loud!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Star Trek has "a plethora of aliens". You're used to rubber foreheads, because live-action TV is limited by budget and the shapes of available actors. In an animated show, there are more possibilities available. As for animation style, there are fashions. This is current for serious shows, while humorous ones tend more toward the Gravity Falls/Adventure Time rubber-arm guys. It's sure a step up from the old-school cheapass animation in TAS, that's for sure!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Personally I hate the rubber-arm thing. Then again I grew up with both anime and 90s cartoons like Darkwing Duck. At least joints were a thing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I thought overall the new series seems promising.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    We definitely need Gwynn's weapon in Star Trek Online.

However, there is one problem with the series. How does a Tellarite and Medusan not know about the Federation? I could understand if they were abducted and somehow transported to the Delta Quadrant, but a Tellarite forgetting that they were one of the founder races of the Federation is hard to believe.

My theory is that the Protostar has experimental engine technology that crash landed in an alternate reality where the Federation was never created. The Tellarite Engineer mentioned the Protostar had 2 warp drives and a large device that he doesn't recognize in Engineering. It would also explain why the Protostar was trapped in a cave.
    Its more likely that the Tellarite grew up on that prison world. The Caretaker had been dragging ships out into Delta for quite some time before Voyager. So its likely that he wasn't aware of the Federation because for the most part he grew up so far away from it that it was a non-entity. And not recognizing Holo Janeway as a Human... perfectly reasonable in that situation as well.

As for the Medusan... they're an enigmatic, non-corporial species, and I don't think they're members of the Federation.

From what I heard of the Protostar, she's got two warp cores, and apparently has an experimental FTL drive, either Slipstream or another attempt at Transwarp.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Its more likely that the Tellarite grew up on that prison world. The Caretaker had been dragging ships out into Delta for quite some time before Voyager. So its likely that he wasn't aware of the Federation because for the most part he grew up so far away from it that it was a non-entity. And not recognizing Holo Janeway as a Human... perfectly reasonable in that situation as well.

As for the Medusan... they're an enigmatic, non-corporial species, and I don't think they're members of the Federation.

From what I heard of the Protostar, she's got two warp cores, and apparently has an experimental FTL drive, either Slipstream or another attempt at Transwarp.

Correct. The Protostar has two warp cores. As Pog states just one warp core would be enough to get the Protostar up to Warp Nine. However, he has no idea in the world what the 'main' drive is.

Additionally, according to some screenshots the Protostar has Six decks. The 'main' drive engine according to MSD's takes up a significiant portion, if not almost the entire aft half of the Protostar.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

aren't all the main characters children (well teens apart from the rock girl) so it's not that far fetched that they were abducted before they learned of the UFP (as more then a name), combine that with torture and said Tellarite might have believed his memories of living in UFP were figments of his imagination.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2021

The impression from the TOS episode Is There in Truth No Beauty? is that they are a Federation race, just one that has to isolate themselves from any corporeal race (with only a few exceptions like Vulcans who can use special visors to avoid harm when seeing one).

Kollos was an ambassador, but that is what they called the representatives from Federation member worlds as well as non-Federation diplomats (in TOS the Federation was like a combination of the United Nations and NATO in today's terms, the various worlds governed themselves and the Federation council dealt with internal interplanetary conflicts and external matters only).

In fact, it was implied that the Terrans were the only ones making the Constitution class ships (and presumably the other planets built other ship classes), with everyone sharing in the innovations of the whole, and a high level of interoperability and standardization, and some trade in the various ship classes (like the Vulcans having one of the Constitution class).

As for the Tellarite, it is even possible that they were descended from Tellarites grabbed before the Federation was even formed, though with the work-them-until-they-drop schtick the slave labor mine trope has it would not take many generations to completely loose their history.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    From what we've seen, the Diviner was purchasing child slaves from the Kazon, probably because the Kazon couldn't keep adult prisoners (these guys couldn't even figure out how to mine comets for water, after all). Jankom Pog was almost certainly abducted before he could speak clearly, as indicated by his unclear grasp of personal pronouns. One can only assume the same to be true of Zero - and given the fact that Zero can't read the Diviner's mind (nor his progeny's), that would leave Zero with no way to learn of the Federation, either.

It does seem clear as well that there's rather more to Dal's past than we've seen - nobody was treated well in that mine, but Dal's the only one who came away with such a strong belief that anyone in power must be out to TRIBBLE him over. That ship really needs a counselor...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    That ship wasn't the only one that needed a counselor...of course, the one ship that could have used it most, didn't get one.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Well... I have a friend who was surprised by some of the dark elements of Prodigy, especially for a show made by Nickelodeon. Then I reminded him of Avatar: The Last Airbender and he was like "Oh yea... forgot about that."

While it is aiming for a younger audience... they seem to be trying to make it appeal to everyone.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Some hint on why there is a Tellarite in the Delta Quadrant: The cast's Tellarite mentioned a food smelling just like "on the sleeper ship".
    So the Tellarite might have send a sleeper ship into the Delta Quadrant and it got hijacked. Since he isn't aware of the Federation or humans, it wouldn't be surprising if the ship predates the founding of the Federation (and maybe even first contact between humans and Tellarite), and the ship wasn't very fast, needing a few centuries to get from Tellar to the location in the Delta quadrant where they are now.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Personally enjoyed the first 'two' episodes for the most part. I mean, they were a little predictable at times and I feel they dragged some of it out a little.

On the other hand, I had to remind myself that 'I' am NOT the target audience of this series; they've said on numerous occasions that they're targeting a younger audience with this series. Therefore will let such pedantry go and take it for what it is.

More than a little predictable, but the Easter eggs made the episodes interesting.
    Time will tell if this show can avoid the usual pitfalls for any kid show.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    You beat me to commenting on why they wouldn't know there was such a thing as the Federation. They were too young! They might even have been born in the Alpha Quadrant.

This is the very first time a Medusan has appeared in 60-years, so we know nothing about their lifecycle, age, reproduction...I'm not even sure they're Federation members.

Ooh and the ship...I love it. I didn't actually take notice of any JJ nods, but it doesn't read as anything other than proper.

It's the most "Star Trek as I personally remember and love it" series since Voyager. I've found new appreciate for Enterprise over the years, but I liked the 24th Century of TNG, DS9 and Voyager. It's been such a shame not to continue it...well, I know that Picard has, but Picard really is so dark and sinister :-/