test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The United Earth Defense Force Vessel (try to say that ten times fast)

Comments

• megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    It looks like a broken can opener...or nut cracker.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    truewarper wrote: »
    Watch this reaction.... https://youtu.be/dRUBy0CbRlU

the silence. lol

Had to rewatch a few times to understand the gravity to his reaction.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    It looks like a broken can opener...or nut cracker.

Sure as heck doesn't look like a ship.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    truewarper wrote: »
    Watch this reaction.... https://youtu.be/dRUBy0CbRlU
    I didn't even realize some details until he pointed out, like the turn rate of 8 without having two hangar bays or being a Juggernaut, the "can equip dual cannons" (it's an infinity lockbox ship, so of course it has it, but still), the fact it's classified as a destroyer (currently, the lowest turn rate for one is 11 for the Tal Shiar Adapted ones and the highest is 17) and that there is STILL YET ANOTHER freaking bad copy-paste (Proximity Alert is the trait of the Kwejian frigate, BTW) in this blog.

Oh, and it only has 4 bridge stations.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Aye...it does not. A few wrappers and a twig...BAM! Instant modern art masterpiece. They need to send the bloody thing to the rubbish bin.
    Aye...it does not. A few wrappers and a twig...BAM! Instant modern art masterpiece. They need to send the bloody thing to the rubbish bin.

The only thing I've seen in Trek that bears even a faint resemblance to this . . . thing is the Edo "god" from the TNG first season episode "Justice."
    edited November 2021
    You could argue that, of all the currently existing 31st-32nd century ship designs, only a couple doesn't look or have ridiculous features:
    2021-11-13%2003_46_35-Star_Trek_Shipyards_Starfleet_Ships_2294_to_the_Future_2nd_ed%2C_pp._252-253_sprea.png?raw=1
    The Mars and Eisenberg classes.

The Mars due to having a smaller, flat, compact design which would work for a scout ship whose job is to sneak around and pass through narrow passages, IF its nacelles are designed to move to the level of the hull.

The Eisenberg because it's overall the closest thing that looks like a reasonably-designed and detailed starship.

You could argue for the Intrepid and Connie, but the Connie tries too hard and is full of structural weaknesses with all those holes and the Intrepid has that freaking bottle opener tail for no reason.

The rest screams of impractical designs.

And I'm sorry, but the Dresselhaus-type (the black one) was made by someone who tried to unplug a cable by pulling the wire instead of the connector and exposed the shredded inner wires, you can't convince me otherwise.
    #TASforSTO
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    You could argue that, of all the currently existing 31st-32nd century ship designs, only a couple doesn't look or have ridiculous features:
    2021-11-13%2003_46_35-Star_Trek_Shipyards_Starfleet_Ships_2294_to_the_Future_2nd_ed%2C_pp._252-253_sprea.png?raw=1

The Mars due to having a smaller, flat, compact design which would work for a scout ship whose job is to sneak around and pass through narrow passages, IF its nacelles are designed to move to the level of the hull.

The Eisenberg because it's overall the closest thing that looks like a reasonably-designed and detailed starship.

You could argue for the Intrepid and Connie, but the Connie tries too hard and is full of structural weaknesses with all those holes and the Intrepid has that freaking bottle opener tail for no reason.

And I'm sorry, but the Dresselhaus-type (the black one) was made by someone who tried to unplug a cable by pulling the wire instead of the connector and exposed the shredded inner wires, you can't convince me otherwise.

IDK I really like the Rainforest one, kind of curious how the bridge looks, might also double as a nice vacation spot, might have to call it the USS Flat Earth as a Joke.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

Okay, so I see the Toilet, the Toilet Seat, the Stapler, the Speculum/Jockstrap, the Haemorrhoid Pillow, the Wrench, the Bottle Opener...

My guess is that the "designer" has piles and spends a lot of time in the bathroom. He works in an office, goes to the gym or plays sports, is a DIY enthusiast and he drinks beer.
    out of all of those, these two look best. ymmv.
    however, still not great. but something that can work.

[img][/img]Screenshot-2021-11-12-212655.jpg

Hmm, I think he was watching "Galaxy Quest" and playing with a stapler.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    A ship is a ship.

The shape is something i would associate with a starbase, but not with a ship.
    I guess to each their own as far as starship designs, but this one doesn't work for me.

The positive thing is that it is the FIRST command specialization warship.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    You know, if the game REALLY insisted on this thing...that is clearly a space station, but to be flown like a ship, then there was actually a cool way to do it.

You take a page out of DS9's book.

It's a space station, with say six working thrusters, so it can move, but INCREDIBLY slowly....HOWEVER.

It's ship-bound Universal Console "modifies the subspace field output of the deflector generators just enough to create a low-level field around the station". It lowers the inertial mass, makes the station lighter and those six thrusters allow it to move...just a little and for a small period of time, until the console recharges.

For the majority of the time, you're just sitting there, so it would be massively annoying and barely unusable in any mission, but if it came with built in fire-at-will and pets, then it MIGHT have been mildly interesting...although there's no getting away from the Tooth beating the Toilet to the crown for the most awful design in the game.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    A ship is a ship.

James T. Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. :)
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    All I can say is that I hope Trek never again returns to the 32nd century. Let's get all of these "designs" over and done with so we can move on to traditional designs.

yeah, i agree
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User

I actually like the Kirk class a lot. Not just because it's a fun ship to fly, but also because it has a nice futuristic look while still staying true to the original design features.

Most other designs are weird or unoriginal (with the Janeway class being the best example of the latter).

'Most', because I like the one with the big open space inside, besides the flying saucer that looks like it's the missing piece of the other one. The flying saucer looks nice because it looks like it's more than just a ship. Most Star Trek designs don't really give you that feeling of being anything besides a flying engine - sure, the Galaxy was huge if you think about how much windows and hence rooms there are, but you really need to think about it.

This ship, with all its forest and seas, immediately gives off the impression of being what I expect a ship to be: being a place where you actually want to spend years or even decades of your life while doing other things like being a researcher, supporting and travelling to colonies and so on.

Depending on its stats, I think I'll get it either for my main Sci who's close to retirement, for my military researcher tactical toon or, if it sucks, for my Vulcan or Voth citizen-researcher toons.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Just looking at the "Toilet Seat"...that's taken a LOT of inspiration from an Ori Mothership, only without actually being cool.

I just don't understand why with so much original and unique inspiration available from so many films and series in the franchise...why is Disco is drawing "inspiration" from Star Wars, Stargate, ripping off other films and series too, to create what looks like an entirely new franchise? At this point, I just really wish Disco wasn't a Star Trek series, or at least calls itself one.

Let there be a universe of spore drives, floaty bits, flying bathroom, gynaecological equipment and dentistry equipment...I'm fine with that, but not when it Tribbles all over everything that came before.

At this point, Disco should have been like Earth: Final Conflict and something that stood on its own, because it not only does want to be "Star Trek", but it seemingly wants Star Trek not to be Star Trek, but pulling the rug out from under it.
    questerius wrote: »
    A ship is a ship.

I guess to each their own as far as starship designs, but this one doesn't work for me.

Not sure how that's a positive; command specialization is of limited utility.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Command was buffed a while back and is currently one of the most desirable specializations.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    When do we get this ship? It's from a parody universe. It could be what happens after the mirror universe! 8)

277.JPG

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    A ship is a ship.

Some command abilities can be interesting. I began using it on the Kirk class. The ability that buffs your own shields based on damage you deal is useful if it only uses up a tactical slot that I couldn't really use for anything else.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    This ship, with all its forest and seas, immediately gives off the impression of being what I expect a ship to be: being a place where you actually want to spend years or even decades of your life while doing other things like being a researcher, supporting and travelling to colonies and so on.
    My main issue with the Angelou-class is how this thing looks fragile and utterly ill-adapted for any kind of combat, unless it's designed to manage to have monstrous amounts of power to create and maintain lots and lots of massive force fields in case of breaches to avoid exposing the entire ecosystem to space.
    #TASforSTO
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    To be fair, the modelling team did a good job of reproducing the thing for the game. Sadly it's, well, that... thing.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    A ship is a ship.

It is the first but the way the seating is done it's going to be incredibly hard to make use of that command seating and not have to few or to much tactical
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Yes, the issue isn't that they gave it a command seat (Some of the abilities are actually worth using now if you have some stat support behind them)...the issue is that the command seat is on tactical and engineering, and no command ability is worth giving up APB2/3, TS3, FAW3, CRF3, CSV3 or EPtW3 for, and any seat below Ltc the abilities are too weak to use or you can't even use the decent ones at all.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I know some people base the decision of the ship they fly based on stats, seating, command abilities, etc...I personally base mine on the the ship that's most fun and that I get the most kick out of. I make it work whatever that is...but I just wouldn't accept Disco's Rotten Tooth if I was paid to. I don't care if it has the most amazing endgame stats of absolutely every ship in the game.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    I know some people base the decision of the ship they fly based on stats, seating, command abilities, etc...I personally base mine on the the ship that's most fun and that I get the most kick out of. I make it work whatever that is...but I just wouldn't accept Disco's Rotten Tooth if I was paid to. I don't care if it has the most amazing endgame stats of absolutely every ship in the game.

Yes, Space Barbie is the real endgame :)

Not all of it of course, but an important part for many of us. None of those designs make me go "cool, I want to fly that!" and one of my captains has a full set of Herald ships and ground gear. Detached parts worked for the Iconians but these fail for me.

That's just my own feelings I'm not going to claim that "looks awful to me" means "it's bad for everyone."
  • vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    That's not a ship. That's a collection of random ship parts flying in close formation.

!00%

I mean, what is the fascination with things not being attached? Looks like shoddy craftsmanship....."Well, we couldn't figure out how to design and EPS or Warp Plasma conduit, so we decided just the tractor beam everything and use the transporter....." ?

I mean, seems like a serious investment in extraneous energy that is not needed.....

This discussion has been closed.