test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The United Earth Defense Force Vessel (try to say that ten times fast)

Comments

• truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Or...nothing. That was a mouthful.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,188 Arc User
    Another hard pass. Another ship I can't relate too nor can I relate that ship design to Star Trek.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    For a split second, after reading the title, I thought they were doing Earth ships from the Enterprise era again. Imagine my disappointment... But seriously, what is this? I'm sure the devs made the most out of it, but it's hideous!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    That's not a ship. That's a collection of random ship parts flying in close formation.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    That people are getting paid for designing these... things... is a testament to everything wrong with modern Star Trek. Ye gads, that's not a ship, that's a building--one shaped like an elephant's head with detached ears.

I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous. Matt Jefferies is spinning in his grave. Say what you will about his design decisions--and I've got a couple of criticisms myself--he at least did have solid reasoning behind just about every aspect of the original U.S.S. Enterprise's design. These hideous abominations? Blatantly designed to look "advanced", without any thought given to justifying them.

Good grief.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I just think it's bland, not awful but also not well thought-out. It kinda looks like pieces you could "attach" to the Courage-class to make it a combiner-mecha-style ship (which would have made it kinda awsome).

They didn't even think about a fitting name of the shipclass. It's just "that one vessel that 32nd century UE used".
  • volticuavolticua Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    "It's time to stop" (c) plz no more ugly design
    Design.jpg
  • takfeltakfel Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Who let the Iconians into ESD?
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    "The Tooth".
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well, you can't handle the tooth!!!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This looks like a broken model. The position light node is even floating somewhere below, if a weapon hardpoint would look like this it'd get fixed in a patch 😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • volticuavolticua Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    volticua wrote: »
    "It's time to stop" (c) plz no more ugly design
    Design.jpg

once seen, it cant be unseen.

I hope this is not future design ships
    Disney-PNG.png
    I just saw how Cryptic: "Dam, he knew, we need to rework Mickey-carriar and Goofy-fighter"
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I either wish Disco would get actual designers for their ships (because I don't know who is responsible for the Toilet, the Speculum and now the Tooth) or just be cancelled.

STO is really being pulled from pillar to post, because we finally get a revamped Nova (I personally don't like the Equinox design) , but then a ship I'm assuming needs to have a Dentist captaining.

Instead of a Mobile Defence Net, maybe it should project a massive pair of braces, or send out dental floss like a Tholian Web.

Instead of damage, it acquires plaque and you can deploy a secondary vessel aka a toothbrush to repair/remove it.
  • brian#1577 brian Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I realize they have to appease CBS/Viacom, but I wish we could pause all the Discovery trash. Can't we do something with the Wrath of Khan timeframe? Virtually unexplored period of Star Trek, and totally ignored.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    It looks like an elephant from the front...with part of the head missing.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    I don't like the 'floating parts' design on these 31st Century ships. Zero desire to own this ship.
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    So now we get a rotten tooth station with some random stuff floating around it that can somehow mount dual cannons? I believe I like the floating toilet better.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    truewarper wrote: »

It looks like a tooth from the side so....
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    I have to say for a Dentist Class vessel it's not that bad of a design, I still won't get it for 2 reasons It doesn't suit my themes, lockbox ships are a waste of time and money, plus while we're at it let's be honest here people nothing can top the Enterprise J in the ugly department.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    jtoney3448 wrote: »
    truewarper wrote: »

It looks like a tooth from the side so....

...something had a bad cavity.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    A ship is a ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    Wait, so it wasn't some kind of glorified turret? It was a ship all along?
    Jeez. Just give us the Eisenberg-class already.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    I wish CBS would hire someone who at least understands the design language Jefferies and some of the other traditional designers used so they have something to base the so-called futuristic ones on (or at the very least has some design sense at all) and stop using these idiotic looking off-the-shelf designs that have no Star Trek feel to them at all.
  • ragingloliragingloli Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I think I'm going to be sick.
    The TRIBBLE production team has no respect.
    No respect for lore and canon, no respect for established aesthetics and design philosophies, no respect for story telling, no respect for its characters except the lead, and above all, no respect for the audience.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    Also: "This formidable defender of Planet Earth was seen defending the homeworld of the human race in Season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery."

You're sure about that? It was said to do so, but what they did in Discovery was:
    -Surrounding Discovery
    -Telling them to get lost or be destroyed without even having the courtesy to politely ask for their intentions, even mocking their tech ("a viewscreen? How quaint.")
    -Beam their armed and ready to shoot crew without hesitation into Discovery (a good way to potentially get people killed)
    -Shoot Discovery with quantum torpedoes without even trying to avoid collateral damage
    -And then, we learned they literally shot the messenger of Titan a while ago.

Granted, the Discovery crew did an hilariously poor and painful job to try and give reasons of their presence, but the United Earth Defense Force acted more like the Dominion than just trying to protect their world.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    That people are getting paid for designing these... things... is a testament to everything wrong with modern Star Trek. Ye gads, that's not a ship, that's a building--one shaped like an elephant's head with detached ears.

I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous. Matt Jefferies is spinning in his grave. Say what you will about his design decisions--and I've got a couple of criticisms myself--he at least did have solid reasoning behind just about every aspect of the original U.S.S. Enterprise's design. These hideous abominations? Blatantly designed to look "advanced", without any thought given to justifying them.

Good grief.
    I really don't think Matt is spinning in his grave. He had reasons for his designs, but he also had a very clear goal to get away from the rocket ship or flying saucer aesthetic and they wanted stuff like the spindly pylons to show off that this ship is something highly advanced and uses technology we can't even imagine.

The current designers are operating with the very same goal, but spindly pylons and dishes aren't satisfying the requirements anymore, because they have become standard and what everyone is familiar with in Star Trek. It worked to create the illusion of 23rd or 24th century, but the 32rd century needs something that looks even more advanced and out of it.

I would not be surprised he'd be quite intrigued what a "TV show" can basiclaly pull off with CGI today. Stuff that would just not have been feasible in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s. Now you can make ships that don't need to be assembled and put on a rig for filming, and finally can create stuff that genuinely is beyond what our physical technology can realize.

Or maybe not. Who knows? He is dead, unfortunately, we can't ask him, and we can make up any reaction we like, he won't have the chance to disagree.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User

Good grief.
    I really don't think Matt is spinning in his grave. He had reasons for his designs, but he also had a very clear goal to get away from the rocket ship or flying saucer aesthetic and they wanted stuff like the spindly pylons to show off that this ship is something highly advanced and uses technology we can't even imagine.

The current designers are operating with the very same goal, but spindly pylons and dishes aren't satisfying the requirements anymore, because they have become standard and what everyone is familiar with in Star Trek. It worked to create the illusion of 23rd or 24th century, but the 32rd century needs something that looks even more advanced and out of it.

I would not be surprised he'd be quite intrigued what a "TV show" can basiclaly pull off with CGI today. Stuff that would just not have been feasible in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s. Now you can make ships that don't need to be assembled and put on a rig for filming, and finally can create stuff that genuinely is beyond what our physical technology can realize.

Or maybe not. Who knows? He is dead, unfortunately, we can't ask him, and we can make up any reaction we like, he won't have the chance to disagree.

Agreed. Trying to say Matt Jefferies is spinning in his grave is very distasteful to think you could speak for someone, or know what they would think, especially since they are no longer here.

As Must said, he is sadly no longer with us. So we have no idea what his thoughts would be regarding the ship designs we have in Star Trek today.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
This discussion has been closed.