test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Die gloriously

13»

Comments

• fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Unfortunately, only half of my post posted. I had tacked on a suggestion of giving players sliders like other MMO games have, so that the individual player can choose the level of detail they want to see. I think they have such a system in FFXIV. My emphasis was there is nothing wrong with the effects that everyone need lose access to visuals if they so choose, but rather give the player the option of if they want to see the effects on their own screen.

Hopefully this one posts because without this point my prior post looks arrogant. LOL
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    Unfortunately, only half of my post posted. I had tacked on a suggestion of giving players sliders like other MMO games have, so that the individual player can choose the level of detail they want to see. I think they have such a system in FFXIV. My emphasis was there is nothing wrong with the effects that everyone need lose access to visuals if they so choose, but rather give the player the option of if they want to see the effects on their own screen.

Hopefully this one posts because without this point my prior post looks arrogant. LOL

In FFXIV they give you an option to turn of OTHER players VFX around you. I too think that would be a nice option to include with STO - but given how this game was initially developed (although with the complete Graphics system rework they did to make all graphics compatible across PC, XBox and Playstation, why they didn't think of including such an option then just boggles my mind as this has been an issue MANY a player has communicated since the first 'over-bloom' issues the game launched with.

(In the launch version of STO and for 2 years afterwards the Bloom from shield hits could literally burn your retinas. When players brought that up, they ALSO often brought up the degree to which that various 'power effects' detracted from the visual experience too (I know I did as did all my Fleetmates back then too) - so no, it was NOT something that Cryptic only recently became aware of.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    imma be on the opposite side of most here...i like it. thanks for this small touch!

It's saved me I was like what the heck DOT is that? then I glanced up and saw i was at 40% hull. YIKES heal heal heal!!!
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I find the change refreshing but also underwhelming honestly.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Seems like this is visual fluff that won't really be seen due to a combination of the general speed of combat and visual spam caused by the incessant laziness of design that means when enemies spawn they inevitably appear on top of you. And of course on top of that there's the additional technicolour barf that appears when you're in group based combat.

Time (& money) might have been better served to reduce the visual assault on a player prior to this addition so folk can actually see it.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Now that this has come to console, I can comment. While one core breach looks nice on it's own, several in close proximity combine with other effects just creates a disorienting mass of disco flashes.

Not good. It is clear the dev's have no intention of listening to their players about visual spam. It almost seems like they are trolling us with this.
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Had to turn off bloom because these new explosion broke the game by causing black boxes to blot out areas of the screen when they animate.
    On the plus side, at least the lightshow is now marginally less egregious on my screen. Though that's hardly a complement for this graphics "enhancement".
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Overall, despite how as soon as pets are involved, it can quickly become a bigger show of fireworks, I like the changes, but I can't help but find the way smoke is handled to look... weird and subpar compared to the rest.

I'm not sure if it's the textures, the way it dissipates or the size, but I just feel something is wrong with them, like they belong to a lower generation of games than it should, even when taking the date of initial release into account.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
This discussion has been closed.