test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not sure what to think of this conversation...?

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,199 Arc User
So, I was in the Borg TFO, Khitomer Vortex. I approached it as I usually do, helping to destroy the tactical cube, then going to whichever conduit the others DON'T go to. Once there, I stop and kill the probes as they come out, and wait for the others to finish off the other gate. Then, when they come over, I help to kill the gate I've been at. The purpose here is to prevent the probes using the gateway, and if I go attacking the gates by myself, I'll get swamped by spheres and might miss some... so I don't kill more than one generator.

However, tonight someone posted a message to me, and I had no idea what they were on about... (I changed the name, so no naming/shaming)
"[12:24]Person@somename:aha 1 lat ty"

I responded, with a question mark, and they did the same.
"[12:25]ToPerson@somename:?

[12:25]Person@somename:?"

Once the battle was over, I asked what they meant, and they responded... confusingly.
"[12:31]ToPerson@somename:Didn't know what your comment meant

[12:32]Person@somename:riiiiiiiiiigh

[12:32]Person@somename:wasnt a quick free tfo :

[12:32]ToPerson@somename:free tfo? don't know what that means either

[12:32]Person@somename:sur

[12:32]ToPerson@somename:are you referring to my guarding the other gate?

[12:33]Person@somename:well to a number of things :

[12:34]ToPerson@somename:I'm confused, but no matter."

Anyone have any idea what they were talking about? Were they annoyed with my not joining them at the far gate, or for not trying to kill the near one by myself? I mean, we completed all the objectives and got the maximum marks... so I have no idea what they were on about.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Why does this bother you so much that you create a thread about that? They were obviously teasing you, not having anything to say. Trolls are a part of this game, maybe they thought you played 'wrong', had the 'wrong' ship or they just wanted to troll you. It's of no consequence.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    You should have asked them to go back in time and look for whales.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    You really need to learn to just laugh things off.

Why would you make a thread about this? He sounds like an idiot.. just shrug or laugh and move on. You know you did your part.. who cares what this guy thinks?

It's not worth worrying about.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    The OP's post seems to be driven more by curiosity than some sort of drama, I don't know why people seem to assume people never post threads except out of angst over something.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    That doesn't sound especially important... I wouldn't bother with it if I were you.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Wait, you actually TALK to other players??, everyone is an NPC for me.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Now I want to know. Can anyone translate?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    They perceived your guarding of the other gate as leeching, getting a "free TFO" for doing nothing.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Is that what all that means? It could have been expressed in plain language, even within the constraints of the chat box. Seems intentionally confusing to me, but maybe that's just me.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Some people in APB:Reloaded used to talk like that, in the case of that game there was a "keep up or you're not worth talking to" attitude so they would use all the 4chan slang, l33t, and text abbreviations they could just to look "cool" and annoy others. I don't know if that is what the person here is doing, but it would not surprise me.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Txt speak?! What are you kids talking about? I would just assume guy was probably drunk. Or he was trying to message someone else. It obviously doesn’t make sense. The whole thing is very confusing. I don’t know. I must be drunk...
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Some people in APB:Reloaded used to talk like that, in the case of that game there was a "keep up or you're not worth talking to" attitude so they would use all the 4chan slang, l33t, and text abbreviations they could just to look "cool" and annoy others. I don't know if that is what the person here is doing, but it would not surprise me.

We truly live in a sad, sorry world...
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The way that players 'spoke' looks very familiar. Very similar to a troll who hangs out at Ker'rat and annoys everyone, and frequently bails on PvP matches that don't go favorably for him, since - in his mind - if he wasn't killed he didn't lose.

That would actually be important if we had more real world consequences. Or you treated it in a real rp fashion. that would literally be surviving.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    7x7 5p33K?! Wh@ R JoO K1D2 74lK1n' 4bou7? 1 would ju57 422uM3 gUy W42 PRob4bly DRUNk.

I agree.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    They perceived your guarding of the other gate as leeching, getting a "free TFO" for doing nothing.​​

If true that displays a sad misunderstanding of the TFO, because if nobody guards the other gate you fail the optionals.

Well there's a section of the playerbase who think if you're not DPSing within their bubble of vision you must not be doing anything, especially in TFOs like this where the gates are far enough apart that explosions from the destroyed ships coming of the gates are not visible to the other gate.

In essence it's a type of tunnel vision in a sense, "If I don't see you doing something, you must not be doing anything", I suspect there's also a degree of desire to elevate themselves above others so anything that could be seen as "leeching" is taken as an excuse to bash others.

So like others have said not really anything worth loosing your sleep.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    my reply would have been Engrish?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    > @westmetals said:
    > I understand that such players exist, but to openly say so in a specific TFO which encourages - if not explictly requires - the players to split up, is a sign of ignorance.
    >
    > If this was Infected or The Breach or something, that's different. But this is Khitomer Vortex, and you've got ships generating in two widely separated places that can both singlehandedly break the optionals. Having all five players go one way is frankly idiotic.

I know there seem to players for whom it doesn't really matter if they're not doing the tactics correctly just yhat they're at the top of the DPS chart (and this isn't STO exclusive either) and they blame others if the tfo (equilevant in other games) fails, or just bash others for not being them.
This discussion has been closed.