test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Olympic Class Science Ship......?

vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
How is there no T-5 or T-6 variation on the Olympic Class Science Vessel?

It's one of my favorite designs....but I can't really make use of the ship at lvl 65...... *sadface* *snortsnapalm*
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    The Olympic is a model that was not originally owned by CBS, and whose ability for Cryptic to use is limited.
  • vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I thought I read somewhere that all the Paramount and CBS stuff was under one roof now.....Wasn't this the ship that Captain Beverly Crusher Commanded in the Final TNG Episode Multiparter...?
  • naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    vedauwoo wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that all the Paramount and CBS stuff was under one roof now.....Wasn't this the ship that Captain Beverly Crusher Commanded in the Final TNG Episode Multiparter...?
    The ship was owned by neither CBS or Paramount.

The Olympic was a model made and owned by a guy named Bill George, a guy who worked as a visual effects art director at Industrial Light & Magic. He made the mode himself, on his free time, based on some of the earliest Matt Jefferies concept art designed for the Enterprise. When they needed a new ship for "All Good Things" he submitted his design to be used, but he still own the design himself. It is not something either CBS or Paramount own.

This is why it never showed up in any other official Trek material for decades, up until its rather sudden usage in Lower Decks. CBS legally can't just use it whenever they want.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    vedauwoo wrote: »
    The ship was owned by neither CBS or Paramount.

The Olympic was a model made and owned by a guy named Bill George, a guy who worked as a visual effects art director at Industrial Light & Magic. He made the mode himself, on his free time, based on some of the earliest Matt Jefferies concept art designed for the Enterprise. When they needed a new ship for "All Good Things" he submitted his design to be used, but he still own the design himself. It is not something either CBS or Paramount own.

This is why it never showed up in any other official Trek material for decades, up until its rather sudden usage in Lower Decks. CBS legally can't just use it whenever they want.

Sto does have some inhouse designs that are quite similar that they could use without trouble, though a lot of the players would want to use a screen-accurate copy of the TNG one (though personally I prefer a kitbash that is quite far from that). They are different enough to be legitimately new designs loosely based on Jefferies sketches.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    It may not be the Olympic, but the Daedalus/T6 Nautilus are favourites of mine.
    edited November 2021
    I just noticed something in the remastered version of Is There In Truth No Beauty?, instead of picking up the Medusan ambassador from their homeworld they rendezvous with with a Medusan ship which has the same sphere-instead-of-saucer configuration so that is another argument STO could use supporting their making a T6 version of the Olympic/Hope/Horizon stable of ships even if they have to leave out the Olympic itself and substitute something custom (which could be the obligatory new design for a T6 of of the older ships), maybe even putting the Medusan ship in instead of the Olympic.
  • vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I just noticed something in the remastered version of Is There In Truth No Beauty?, instead of picking up the Medusan ambassador from their homeworld they rendezvous with with a Medusan ship which has the same sphere-instead-of-saucer configuration so that is another argument STO could use supporting their making a T6 version of the Olympic/Hope/Horizon stable of ships even if they have to leave out the Olympic itself and substitute something custom (which could be the obligatory new design for a T6 of of the older ships), maybe even putting the Medusan ship in instead of the Olympic.

That works for me...as the Hope and Horizon parts are the only ones I use anyway..... lol

• marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    If for whatever reason they can’t specifically use the Olympic design for T6, why couldn’t they at least have a 25th century counterpart for Daedalus/Nautilus class? Different class that won’t have to be able to use the Olympic parts, but the same basic shape with the primary hull being spherical instead of a saucer.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Not trying to be a jerk, but wouldn't the Nautilus be up your alley?

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Nautilus_Temporal_Science_Vessel

Just a thought...
    CM

Edit: I didn't notice that Captain Celestial already mentioned it...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I feel like the fact the Olympic was seen in Lower Decks, and even made a physical model in Star Trek Attack Wing, might mean it is fair game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I feel like the fact the Olympic was seen in Lower Decks, and even made a physical model in Star Trek Attack Wing, might mean it is fair game.

Maybe though if it's true that it's a model CBS doesn't have the rights to things could be Weird with a capital "W" when it comes when it can and cannot be used.
    Ok... according to Memory Alpha, the guy who designed the Olympic owns the original studio model he built. Far as my google fu says, the Olympic class in general is owned by CBS, as it has appeared in the Countdown tie in comic for the 2009 movie as well as the mentioned other appearances, Its just the original studio model that is owned by the creator. And as it turns out... yea he built it in his own spare time, and submitted the design. If not for time pressure his design might not have been accepted.
    In the script for "All Good Things...", the Pasteur is described as "a small and sleek vessel with the 24th century equivalent of 'Red Cross' markings." However, the model Bill George had built was used for the ship. "[He] called us up to ask if we would like to use it," stated Dan Curry. (Cinefantastique, Vol. 25, No.6/Vol. 26, No. 1, p. 64) George himself continued, "Producer Peter Lauritson ended up renting it from me." (The Making of the Trek Films, UK ed., p. 167) Normally, the series' policy forbade accepting unsolicited models. However, due to extreme time pressures at the time of production on "All Good Things...", Lauritson got dispensation in this one instance. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion (3rd ed., p. 303))
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Olympic_class
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I suspect STO probably got the Olympic rights back in the beginning just like the Luna, otherwise the T3 Olympic would probably have a different name and look even less like the on-screen version. If that's the case then they can probably update the model without any problems, again just like they did with the Luna. The T3 being extremely inaccurate can't really be seen as a sign of them not having the rights, because NONE of the original ship models were very accurate.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I suspect STO probably got the Olympic rights back in the beginning just like the Luna, otherwise the T3 Olympic would probably have a different name and look even less like the on-screen version. If that's the case then they can probably update the model without any problems, again just like they did with the Luna. The T3 being extremely inaccurate can't really be seen as a sign of them not having the rights, because NONE of the original ship models were very accurate.

I think the main issue with the Luna was that it was only seen in novels until Lower Decks. So I don't know the legal issues that could have been surrounding that. As the Olympic has been seen on screen, both in TNG and in LD, pretty sure a revamp is coming and there is no legal issues. Its not like the Vesta class that they had to negotiate for.
    The funny thing is, design wise the STO version looks better than the canon version.
    The funny thing is, design wise the STO version looks better than the canon version.

It has its perks. Looks a bit sleeker. But its not the canon design. If and when we do get a revamp I fully expect the current model to get the (Beta) treatment so that its still an option. And I wouldn't be surprised if we also get variant markings for Medical as well as normal Starfleet.
    If the Nautilus could use the Olympic variant kitbash skins instead of just the Daedalus I would probably have already gotten it with one of the earlier event T6 coupons, one of my most often used characters is a doctor and I used a Horizon/Hope kitbash for her ship as long as it held up to the content.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I was thinking about this. For a 2410 variant, I would like to see the ship art team take the primary sphere from the Horizon variant. Make that open area with an energy field actually mean something.

And, if accurate, Cryptic can't outright remaster the Olympic to All Good Things standard, at least remaster the model we do have to the higher fidelity standard our game currently enjoys. So we can put those nice canon materials on it.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
This discussion has been closed.