test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crash on Startup .. at the end of my tether - pls help!

Hi All,

I have been having issues trying to login to STO for almost a week now, scoured the net and forums and tried everything - nothing is working and game keeps crashing just as I get to the character selection page. Raised a ticket, but no response, so frustrated...Here is what I raised on my ticket, can anyone help?:

Since the patch on Tue 2 Nov, I have been unable to log on to the game - it crashes at the login page. I have tried everything, including:

-Force verify
-Starting in safe mode
-Checking intel drivers are up to date
-Checking DirectX version (12)
-Uninstalling and re-installing the game
-tried deleting the GamePrefs.pref file and restarting the game but that did not work

Since re-installing the game, I am getting the message "your graphics settings have been reset to the recommended defaults" and now the game crashes before I can even go to the options tab at the character selection page, to lower my graphics settings.

I have had several error codes: 3e4911, 3e4a8a, 3e5029.

Please can you provide some resolution asap? Thank you.

Comments

• invisiblesun#4822 invisiblesun Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am experiencing the exact same problems and tried the exact same solutions with no success. PC, Win 10. :-(
  • polykrates#5534 polykrates Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Me, too. And apparently a lot of users of integrated graphics. :( Support told me that the issue is known to and currently investigated by the developers. Sadly - but understandably - they do not have an ETA for the fix yet.
    Support asked me for my log files.

My system is a Lenovo ThinkPad T440p with an i7 4800mq processor with its integrated HD graphics.

The issue is most likely caused by the game using a Direct X feature that is not fully supported by the HD GPU and therefore leads to a crash whenever used. Before the 11/02 patch Lighting 2.0 would lead to the occassional crash on certain maps on my system.

I had a similar issue with Knights of the Old Republic 2 and intel graphics back in the day. That issue was eventually fixed by Obsidian, because Lucas Arts did not want to miss out on the costumers who played KotOR 1 on their laptops and now wanted to play KotOR2.

If you're impatient (and/or looking for an improved experience), you might want to look into eGPUs for your laptop or a dedicated graphics card for your PC. Otherwise we can only wait and contact support or share our technical data, but not play the game.
  • morrsynmorrsyn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    same problem here i have intel 4400 graphics, this JUNK made me miss my rewards, UGH
  • dunhillion#3648 dunhillion Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Thanks all - not what I wanted to hear from fellow PC Win 10 players, but in a way I'm glad it's not just me being utterly frustrated that there is nothing much that I can do about it myself.

Hopefully the devs will sort this out soon...in the meantime, if anyone hears anything further or finds any kind of solution, pls update the rest of us with it here! Thanks :-)
    P.S. Have now heard from the tech support team who have asked for my DxDiag.txt file... no idea what the ETA on a fix will be though.

Very frustrating but at least the issue is being looked at. Have others done the same (sending in their DxDiag files)? Hopefully collective pressure to fix the problem might have some effect (one can hope anyway)...thanks.
  • stherosthero Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    P.S. Have now heard from the tech support team who have asked for my DxDiag.txt file... no idea what the ETA on a fix will be though.

Very frustrating but at least the issue is being looked at. Have others done the same (sending in their DxDiag files)? Hopefully collective pressure to fix the problem might have some effect (one can hope anyway)...thanks.

Yes, was asked by support to send dxdiag text file. Then asked to do a force verify, then run in safe mode. Nothing worked. Now have been asked to uninstall the game and leftover files, do a fresh reinstall and see if that fixes the issue. I am going to try doing that now. All this is so effing frustrating!!! :/
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

Assimilation is the Key to Happiness.
    :D
  • cmdrwhitneycmdrwhitney Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I too am having these sorts of problems. Last night, starting in Safe mode seemed to allow me in, though I had to reset my graphics settings in the process. Now I can't log in at all, even with some of the same stuff being tried. I can't even Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of it and try again, it doesn't switch screens, so I have to sign out of/turn off my PC and then get back in.
    sthero wrote: »

Yes, was asked by support to send dxdiag text file. Then asked to do a force verify, then run in safe mode. Nothing worked. Now have been asked to uninstall the game and leftover files, do a fresh reinstall and see if that fixes the issue. I am going to try doing that now. All this is so effing frustrating!!! :/

Did what support asked. Uninstalled arc, game - deleted leftover files - did a fresh reinstall - download used up (wasted) a lot of GB of my data - clicked on Engage - which lead me to the Graphics reset screen - the screen froze - the game crashed - produced a crash incident ID. All this for nothing!! FFS!!!!
    Suggestion to devs - Please roll-back that flawed patch of Nov 2, go back to the drawing board and analyze what went wrong!
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

edited November 2021
    Yep, EXACTLY the same for me sthero, and I couldn't agree more. I have now been asked to check that my graphics drivers are up to date because they are 'outdated' - integrated Intel HD graphics...yes they are up to date.

This shouldn't be an issue with graphics drivers per se as the game worked just fine before this patch, on lower graphics settings. Like many others on this thread, I am currently running Intel HD 4400 or similar - yes, I get that it's an old graphics card, but until the Direct3D Hardware Feature Level 11 change next year, any patches before that point shouldn't 'punish' users such as us, before those changes are made. I will upgrade my graphics card in due course, but I hadn't planned for my current one to just stop working all of a sudden, because of this patch.

As you say, they just need to go back and fix the 2 Nov patch to plug the gap...I hope that support saying my graphics card is out of date, is not a way for the devs to shirk fixing the 2 Nov patch, by just telling us all we need to update our graphics drivers and wiping their hands of the problem...
    Post edited by dunhillion#3648 on
    I too have integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600, and as far as I am aware, they mentioned in the graphics update announcement that this will work even after the change next year! So I fail to see why integrated graphics should be a problem now!! I am sure they have bunged it all up somewhere in the patch. Hope they resolve it asap cause I have no intention nor the budget to upgrade to a dedicated graphics card!
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

I too have integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600, and as far as I am aware, they mentioned in the graphics update announcement that this will work even after the change next year! So I fail to see why integrated graphics should be a problem now!! I am sure they have bunged it all up somewhere in the patch. Hope they resolve it asap cause I have no intention nor the budget to upgrade to a dedicated graphics card!

Latest discussion I've had with support had the following comment: 'we are not seeing any problems with...the last patch'...

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Surely they must know something isn't right.

Latest discussion I've had with support had the following comment: 'we are not seeing any problems with...the last patch'...

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Surely they must know something isn't right.

Latest response from support that I received:

"Upon further investigating, our Lead GM found out that the promised fix has not resolved the issue for some players. We truly are sorry for what has happened. Rest assured, however, that we are coordinating with the Development Team to get this fixed the soonest. You may wait for updates about this on our news page here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news "

So am keeping my fingers crossed X that they will come out with a resolution soon!
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Well it isn’t listed in today’s patch notes again, so I doubt they resolved it.

You guys should consider posting in the Reddit bug thread. At least the QA team sometimes read those. Aso if you have some crash report numbers, it may help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/po9c0t/reflections_unofficial_bug_report_thread/
  • invisiblesun#4822 invisiblesun Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same problem for me. No help from support. Since Nov 2 update.
    Thanks all, and good shout about the Reddit bug thread.

Here are the key bits of info I have received thus far from support:

"Additionally, the issue from the previous patch may be addressed on an upcoming patch note that causes certain issues with players in the game. We can only advise waiting for it."

and this

"I understand that you're having issues logging in due to crashing. I know it is inconvenient on your end. As per checking, it appears that this is an ongoing in-game glitch that you're currently experiencing now, I will notify the Development team about this issue. You also have an option to submit a bug report on the official bug report forums so it can be discussed with other players in the community. If we have updates and fix, we'll make sure to keep you posted and pout it on future patch notes."

(Link for bug reporting: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports)

Maybe if both the Reddit and bug report threads get bombarded a bit, they'll be motivated to solve this one...still frustrated that I got told that this was an issue specific to my computer (!). Thanks everyone, at least this game's community is great/supportive :-)
    qultuq wrote: »

You guys should consider posting in the Reddit bug thread. At least the QA team sometimes read those. Aso if you have some crash report numbers, it may help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/po9c0t/reflections_unofficial_bug_report_thread/

Also worth commenting on the Tweet for the latest patch like some have already?

qultuq wrote: »

Also worth commenting on the Tweet for the latest patch like some have already?

Still crashing.
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

• wiggins#4688 wiggins Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Yeah I'm one of these too, tried both with integrated graphics intel 4600 and also radeon r9 290
    Yeah I'm one of these too, tried both with integrated graphics intel 4600 and also radeon r9 290

I'm on Intel HD 4400...
  • saipan2saipan2 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    cant launch via steam for 2 days now..lame....