test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward Weekly 11/3/21

2»

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    We all know our Mirror Self is gonna be voiced by Chris Pratt, just like the Emperor.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    3,18. Anything that goes into "available" is essentially dead since few seem to use that tab. On top of that, it becomes unavailable to any character less than level 65 which negates the usefulness of anything in it because by that time a character is fully built out and don't have a place for anything they might get from them.

That old gear would still be useful for lower level characters around the level the hapless episodes where once at for the most part though.

And then there is the factor that they need something for Friday the 13th for tradition's sake, and Cat's Tale is not appropriate for that. Not only is it too long and convoluted for that, the ambience is tied too strongly to Halloween for it to fit elsewhere in the year and the prize is set for a full event, not a one-day run.

42. From all the reviews I have seen it was all of that.

According to them the biggest problems were
    • The fact that ARPGs are not that widely popular and it is fiendishly difficult to attract players to those games for long.
    • It failed to have much, if any, of the ambiance or even the mechanical feel of the card game and was so loose in its interpretation that players of the card game felt that it only used the names and some of the graphics. The decks did not even interact in the same way they did in the card game for instance.
    • The fact that it was monetized all the way up to phone-game levels and beyond, even worse than ArcheAge.

43. I have to agree with keepcalmchiveon on this one, Twitch is not all it is cracked up to be. Not only is it yet another signup with the attendant hassles of that, it is another possible security risk vector to your gaming account depending on exactly how the link is set up. Also, anything on Twitch takes a long time which takes away from the often limited time available for gaming.

Instead of diverting giveaway stuff to Twitch I would rather they just give it away in the game itself like they tend to do on occasion.

Edit: for clarity (removal of inadvertent double-negative)
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    Instead of diverting giveaway stuff to Twitch I would rather they just give it away in the game itself like they tend to do on occasion.

I'd wager this is a business deal more than a 'social connections' project. Twitch is paying Cryptic a bit of slush money generated from the players who get funneled onto their platform, and Cryptic gives away some freebies to help funnel players onto Twitch's platform.

Honestly, given the extremes to which they've already hyper-monetized everything last thing in the game, I'm more surprised that Cryptic hasn't stooped to this level of predatory behavior sooner and more strongly already. It's seems like every publisher and developer is jumping into that rabbit hole with smiles on their faces.

The term your looking for is cross-promotion marketing (for both Twitch and Cryptic/STO).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    We all know our Mirror Self is gonna be voiced by Chris Pratt, just like the Emperor.

So, we're going to sound like Mario? ;)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

Is there a reference there I'm not getting?
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

Well mine wouldn't as my main is a lady (or at least if she were to be voiced by a man I'd be rather upset with maybe the possible exception of Matt Mercer but even that's a very big maybe).
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    spiritborn wrote: »

Is there a reference there I'm not getting?
    Chris Pratt was announced as voicing Mario in the upcoming animated Super Mario movie, and it was lambasted to Gre'thor for being an incredibly ridiculous choice (especially after various questionable (to stay polite) statements from him resurfaced), even more so since the movie also has the true voice of Mario, Charles Martinet, in it. So it's become a meme to say Chris Pratt is voicing any and everyone in every franchise, as a jab to the whole "casting celebrities instead of beloved veteran voice actors" thing going on in Hollywood.

Jack Black is also voicing Bowser, but it's Jack Black, so everyone is rightfully fine with this.

Then, it was announced in another unrelated movie Chris Pratt would be voicing the protagonist as well, just to make it worse.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    The one thing that wasn't really thought of during this stream with the idea of a melee slot. What was overlooked when it was said that you just use one energy weapon and one melee. However one of the ground sets that brings the need for the melee slot is the Discovery ground set. Its weapon of the set is a melee weapon itself so unless you can use another melee weapon in its place it would need a slot to do just that.

Another issue is I know with focusing on new content they have limited time for bug and glitch fixes. So one part I enjoy about lockboxes is when we get new things to help bypass those problems. However as time goes on there is a much needed kit module tab just for kit modules.

For the dilex issue it comes down to how much players covet the dilithium they have is the first part of understanding a possible solution. So when ships cost as much as they do over a billion EC or mega gigantic pack prices it forces a player to be more guarded on how they spend their dilithium. The last suggestion is that the battlezones, red alerts, fleet tfo's, etc be revamped as well as fleet systems like those operational assets that hardly anyone ever used. So the game really needs creation in the direction of things that somewhat already exist that can bring back life to the game. Anything not directly connected to the story needs to be able to pull all the players together like the Q's Wonderland and the Risa event does. Plus todays STO team it would be great to see what they could do to bring Starbase value that has required so many resources to build up that has to come back as well.
This discussion has been closed.