test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this a new ship?

jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
This ship is in one of the images for the Agile Classics bundle, and I don't recognize it. The colors look a lot like the Alliance ships from the anniversary events.

Ship.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    That looks like the generic alien vessel they use for a target for skills. Said ship isn't playable.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    It's a generic ship... a very old generic ship... i think that model is here from beta?
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    It is one of the types you blow up in Renegade's Regret iirc, so it is at least three or four years old.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    That's an old generic ship from game launch.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited November 2021
    I do wonder if that's a STO original model or based on blink and you will miss it background ship.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    This ship is in one of the images for the Agile Classics bundle, and I don't recognize it. The colors look a lot like the Alliance ships from the anniversary events.

Ship.png

Jaturnley, that's one of those ships you can see off in the distance. The devs put them in for target practice or to help players visualize special effects coming from a Hero ship.

I doubt anyone would actually fly one of these things. I myself would not; they're made out of chewing gum and low-quality crepes. Crapz! KreePss!! Remember to flush this thing down before you stand up!!!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    It's the Worf-class.
    Acts as a punching ball to demonstrate any new stuff from new ships.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    edited November 2021
    It does have some potential as an armed freighter if that was much of a thing in the game (perhaps as a buyable alternative to the event-prize Kobayashi Maru). It has some nice lines that could be remastered into something presentable as a playable ship, but I doubt it would be enough to be worth the effort and expense.

Another obscure background ship that would have more potential than that freighter is the one nicknamed the "sitting dog", originally they called it the Excalibur class but an entirely different ship class has taken the name. It was a pre-release design that had the separation mechanic (and a very interesting look to the secondary hull when separated) according to the hype sketches of it. Right now the only time you see it is one of the cutscenes in one of the Dyson missions.

Its unusual vertical format from the tall, massive curved "neck" is unique in Federation ships in the game, which could drive some interest.
    It does have some potential as an armed freighter if that was much of a thing in the game (perhaps as a buyable alternative to the event-prize Kobayashi Maru). It has some nice lines that could be remastered into something presentable as a playable ship, but I doubt it would be enough to be worth the effort and expense.
    IIRC according to the foundry ID for this ship type it was a warship of some kind.
    edited November 2021
    spiritborn wrote: »
    IIRC according to the foundry ID for this ship type it was a warship of some kind.

That could be, Renegade's Regret was such a cluster-hump it is hard to say for sure which were supposed to be the freighters hauling refugees and which were the planet's defenders, none of them were capable of putting up any significant resistance to Neth Parr's ship.

Story-wise it would be a good ship to put into the game as a sort of "space Volkswagen" since with the people gone but the technology intact I imagine the nearby Ferengi could have snuck in and grabbed hundreds of the things before anyone else noticed the people were gone. Refurbished with the minimum amount of second-rate bargain basement upgrades they could have made a tidy profit from the Atosee tragedy.

It makes me wonder why there was never any mention of the Ferengi doing that with Husnock ships, worlds, and whatnot but that is a different matter.

Realworld sales wise though I doubt it would do well.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Don't one of these show up in one of the Nimbus missions as a Pirate?

Yeah, one of those generic ships like the ones overused in so many STTNG episodes, lol...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Don't one of these show up in one of the Nimbus missions as a Pirate?

Yeah, one of those generic ships like the ones overused in so many STTNG episodes, lol...

Yeah that's the idea with those ships, like TNG ones those were made to be the "generic alien" ship so that you can show more cultures without going massively over budget trying to design unique ships for each "alien of the week".

Also pretty much every live-action Star Trek series apart from maybe Discovery and Picard has done this and those 2 simply the exceptions as there's not been enough generic ships to need that. Memory Alpha has pages on the reused models (be they physical or CGI).
This discussion has been closed.