test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flickering black boxes overlaying explosions since 02/11/21 patch

xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
Since the last patch I've noticed that any ship explosion in space (and a few other similar detonation effects) is now accompanied by a brief (split second) overlay of a black rectangle in the region of the screen where the explosion takes place. The size of the rectangle is determined by the area of the screen covered by the explosion.

I can confirm the bug is manifesting in Badlands Battlezone, Dyson Sphere (regular and Battlezone) and regular space as those are the places I have checked.

Initially I thought something was trying to open a window and shutting immediately, but wasn't the case.

Ground combat does not appear to be affected by this bug.
S1J6m8B.jpg

Comments

• xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Might be an unintended side effect of the new ship explosion animations...
    That's what I'm left suspecting. It's so very specific.

S1J6m8B.jpg
  • tanglepixietanglepixie Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    xarynn2058 wrote: »
    Since the last patch I've noticed that any ship explosion in space (and a few other similar detonation effects) is now accompanied by a brief (split second) overlay of a black rectangle in the region of the screen where the explosion takes place. The size of the rectangle is determined by the area of the screen covered by the explosion.

I can confirm the bug is manifesting in Badlands Battlezone, Dyson Sphere (regular and Battlezone) and regular space as those are the places I have checked.

Initially I thought something was trying to open a window and shutting immediately, but wasn't the case.

Ground combat does not appear to be affected by this bug.

Can confirm. Split second black box overlaying the new warp core explosions, almost like a missing texture.
  • tobitheredtobithered Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same here - maybe the first frame of the animation/overlay is not quite transparent?
    Or maybe we need to adjust some graphics settings (if so, which setting to what value)?
    In case it helps to narrow down/reproduce this issue: I'm using a GTX 970 under Windows 10 (with current drivers).
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Same happening here with several different tfo's.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Same here - i7-4770k with 980Ti, strangely it is not doing it on my i5-4430 with a 1050Ti. Both Windows 10, all patched up.

Kern patrol was painful - I hope they can track and fix quickly.
  • kailim#3772 kailim Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Yes. I'm encountering this too now with the new explosions. Seems to happen whenever the explosions occur if you're closer to them. They don't happen if I'm far away, but they're still really bright

Updating graphics driver to see if that helps. I was hoping by adjusting the anti-aliasing would help, but it didn't.

Update: Updating the driver didn't resolve it

Update: Turned off the blooming effects. That seems to be helping for now. Until Cryptic decides to fix it, we may have to live without blooming effects for a while.

Update: No Black Boxes anymore after 3 space TFOs.
    Post edited by kailim#3772 on
  • kidinthehall#2744 kidinthehall Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Also noticed the issue about 20 minutes ago on the Swarm TFO with the Hurq ship explosions. It didn't occur yesterday after the patch with Borg or Tholian ships.

980 Ti with an i7-10700k
    I turned off bloom as kalim did above, and it did stop the boxes on my 980Ti. Just checked my the other PC and bloom is turned on with the 1050Ti.

I wonder if the texture failed to load during patching, or perhaps there is something with the 9 series cards it doesn't like. I'm certainly not replacing a 980Ti to play STO, especially in this video card market...

Verify Files did nothing, but I've never had much luck with it. Going to see if I can find the instructions to delete all the files and have the launcher force download, I don't want to try reinstall as my PC is running the original launcher, and I find it no longer installs on Windows 10 - don't want to bother with Arc on this PC. In the ancient times (Step Between the Stars) there used to be graphical patches that would glitch out and a fresh reinstall worked fine for me.
  • whiteknight1xwhiteknight1x Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Same Here: TICKET #629896

This issue started with the Tuesday patch. While I am within space combat I will see windows or fields quickly popping in/out randomly in different locations on the screen. They are blank. I believe this is a result of the new warp core explosion bloom. I believe instead of the explosion bloom this is what I am seeing.

System Spec: Win 10 Pro AMD 2400G Nvidia GTX750 Ti (I know I need a better card,) drivers are up to date.
    750Ti is more than enough for STO, it is pretty decent, considering some run on integrated graphics. :smile:

It seems everyone who has encountered the issue and reported their graphics card is running 9 series or below.

It would be interesting to see if anyone comes in with a more recent card. My 1050Ti isn't doing it, even though the 980Ti is a much better card by any measure. After work tonight I may punish myself and run it on the Surface Pro to see what integrated graphics does.
    I turned off Bloom and that does indeed stop the graphical bug for me. Coincidentally I'm also running a 980 with up-to-date drivers.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • sofiarivas#5677 sofiarivas Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Same issue - Using: GTX 960 newest drivers.
  • kailim#3772 kailim Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    750Ti is more than enough for STO, it is pretty decent, considering some run on integrated graphics. :smile:

It seems everyone who has encountered the issue and reported their graphics card is running 9 series or below.

It would be interesting to see if anyone comes in with a more recent card. My 1050Ti isn't doing it, even though the 980Ti is a much better card by any measure. After work tonight I may punish myself and run it on the Surface Pro to see what integrated graphics does.

Yeah, I'm running a GTX 750Ti
    Tried it on my MIL's i3-2100 and GTX 660 and problem exists there as well. My Surface Pro on Integrated Graphics straight up crashes to desktop at the character select screen after trying to load in - so no idea if it would do it there.

I see we're getting patched tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Clearly something happened with graphics settings, and based on the crashes thread - maybe we'll get lucky and it is all related and will be fixed.
    Same behavior occurs post-patch with Bloom On, fine Bloom Off.
    Just tried an Argala run to test it and it's still there.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
    Same behavior occurs post-patch with Bloom On, fine Bloom Off.

Yeah, I tried turniong bloom off, made no difference, still seeing black boxes.
    This really needs to be fixed, when there is a lot of enemies it's siezure inducing...

KwYCwGk.png
  • naralyth#4870 naralyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    It is happening to me too. Also these new explosions are much more demanding than the old ones. Playing mission "Home" and swarms/ships constantly exploding was pretty much a slideshow. System: Xeon X5675@4,2 ghz, 12 gb ram, GTX 960, Win 7 64 bit. Please fix the performance too. Thanks.
    More info from 3 more machines.

GTX 750Ti - black boxes, issue exists.
    GTX 745 - black boxes, issue exists
    GTX 1650 - no issue, no black boxes.
  • xxdefectivexxxxdefectivexx Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    are we under attack by cthulhu? black flashes everywhere
    Still not fixed this update patch and no word from the devs, guess I wont be playing again until it's fixed.
    Yep, still there.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
    Just ran Kern patrol with Bloom on and off, and still a problem after the November 12 patch.
  • xxdefectivexxxxdefectivexx Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    still happening to me