test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We Can't Name Our Starships the "Enterprise"

13»

Comments

• jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    psymantis wrote: »
    I don't care how anyone else wants to play STO, though I reserve to right to /facepalm if I see a Captain K1rk flying the Enterpris3. :p

Yep.. this exactly! :smiley:

That nicely sums up how I feel about the matter.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I find myself pining for the multiple Grand Admiral Thrawns flying U.S.S. Chimaeras.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    felderburg wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm assuming because the characters we make in MMOs are supposed to be OUR characters and their unique story.

I mean, as unique as every other character playing through the exact same storyline :p

Well... the story assumes only one character (the player) is experiencing these events. I believe FF14 got around the issue by implying that all the other player characters you see in game are just adventurers rather than the Warrior of Light. I suppose STO assumes that all the other players you see are just other officers in the fleet that you encounter.

It doesn't make sense to assume that the events of STO are playing out over and over for every captain in the fleet, at different times in terms of story. For example, I've been playing since F2P, my main is a "Fleet Admiral" (As I just tend to show Captain on my uniform) whose seen action all the way back to earning her first Command as an Ensign at Vega Colony (original STO tutorial). Its.. what? 2412 or 2413 for her now? How would it make sense for that character to be in the same room as a fresh from Vega in 2409 Lieutenant who just earned their command in the same way she did and is facing the exact same events she did?

IMO that's probably one of the issues with story driven MMOs. Having to balance the presence of all the other players with the story centered around a single character, the player.

Anyways... probably a discussion for another time.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    felderburg wrote: »
    I'm assuming because the characters we make in MMOs are supposed to be OUR characters and their unique story.

I mean, as unique as every other character playing through the exact same storyline :p

Well... the story assumes only one character (the player) is experiencing these events. I believe FF14 got around the issue by implying that all the other player characters you see in game are just adventurers rather than the Warrior of Light. I suppose STO assumes that all the other players you see are just other officers in the fleet that you encounter.

It doesn't make sense to assume that the events of STO are playing out over and over for every captain in the fleet, at different times in terms of story. For example, I've been playing since F2P, my main is a "Fleet Admiral" (As I just tend to show Captain on my uniform) whose seen action all the way back to earning her first Command as an Ensign at Vega Colony (original STO tutorial). Its.. what? 2412 or 2413 for her now? How would it make sense for that character to be in the same room as a fresh from Vega in 2409 Lieutenant who just earned their command in the same way she did and is facing the exact same events she did?

IMO that's probably one of the issues with story driven MMOs. Having to balance the presence of all the other players with the story centered around a single character, the player.

Anyways... probably a discussion for another time.

I think it's still 2411 that said your point stands
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    With all the silly names you see flying around, seeing Enterprises everywhere wouldn't really matter?
    Each of my characters has their own naming schemes, usually memory beta geographic locations from the planet their from, like how most ships we see in the shows are named after rivers, mythology or cities on earth, going for rivers, myths and cities from andor or tellar prime.

I wouldn't name my ship after a show ship, but if other people did it wouldn't break the immersion when we have so many joke and pop culture ships flying around.

I kinda wish we could name multiple ships the same name though. The D goes in the registry, having to put it in the name so you can have your new flagship succeed your old is kinda lame.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • dragonturtletimmydragonturtletimmy Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    One of the other reasons than mentioned is: if an unethical player were allowed to use official character and ship names they would use it to to fool and trick people or other trouble.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I kinda wish we could name multiple ships the same name though. The D goes in the registry, having to put it in the name so you can have your new flagship succeed your old is kinda lame.

You can; just change the name of the old ship while you are at the ship selection officer.

True, but I also wish we could have multiple ships with the same name and augmented registry numbers. It would make it a lot easier then having to rename your old ship every time.. it's obviously not a huge issue, just something that would be kind of nice to have.
    One of the other reasons than mentioned is: if an unethical player were allowed to use official character and ship names they would use it to to fool and trick people or other trouble.

Um.. ok.. what could they possibly do to cause trouble? If another player has a ship named 'Enterprise' it isn't going to give that player any real advantage over other players.

I have my reasons why I agree with the restricted name policy for ships, but player safety certainly isn't one of them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    There may also be legal issues.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    or just CBS wants to protect those names.. I would like to use Defiant and Voyager, however, one toon has a Connie and I like the 1700 registry numbers, and Defiant is not useable. another toon has ships named for significant milestones in space exploration, and the Voyager probes definitely qualify, but alas. I'll get over it.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Also remember that while copyright remains for the length of the copyright term, trademark must be, in the words of US trademark law, "vigorously defended", else the holder runs the risk of losing exclusive use of the trademark. Aspirin was once a trademark of Bayer Pharmaceuticals, used for their salicylic acid tablet formulation, but they failed to act when other companies starting calling their products "Aspirin", and now it's a generic name.

If the use of "Enterprise" as the name of a fictional spacecraft is trademarked, the licensing agreement would certainly spell out that its use for player ships was specifically disallowed, as such use would weaken the trademark claim.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.