test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enviroment Suits now have a separate slot next to the Body Armour slot! Tribble server

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I'd actually like to see them use a similar system to how the damage was rendered in Bridge Commander...though, like piloting from the bridge itself, that's a feature I know will never come to this game.​​

Well the thing is that Bridge Commander had that system build in from the start and also it looked kind of bad even back then, no small holes looked ok but once large sections of the hull went missing the texture just didn't look right.

retro fitting that system into a MMO game over ten years after launch is very much "not gonna happen" and if the devs somehow went totally crazy and decided to do something like that I'd hope they'd use a newer system like the one Id used for Doom Eternal (use that was for demons but you could probably retrofit that for spaceships if the work needed didn't matter).
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Yeah, it's almost like to cover the fact they couldn't have damage showing on the physical models for every little fight, they made up a bunch of unrealistic TRIBBLE about how Starfleet ships are nigh-invincible, and now that CGI is a thing, they can do things properly now.​​

32nd ships would have been easy to repair. DIS ships in the 23rd Century would be skuttled/set for self-destruct, after the damage they displayed. Thank goodness they had 24th Century technology to activate automatic emergency forcefields to prevent what would have been realistic decompression in ships of the 23rd Century.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Also, a sidenote about the Tholian mission with Kal Dano, he now has the normal bulky, ugly, default EV suit, instead of his future, sleek one. His dialogue portraits still use the original model, though.

More info about the new explosions and effects.

From what I've tried, it seems it doesn't depend on your remaining hull only, but also on how hard you hit or get hit. You also have a few new effects, like explosions from weapon impacts, similar to the impacts of the DSC and Kelvin Timeline bolts, and some kind of plasma/energy leak:
    20211024052221_1.png?raw=1
    20211024052203_1.png?raw=1
    20211024052407_1.png?raw=1
    Both fires and leaks tend to disappear a few seconds after the severe hit(s) that caused them, unless your hull is very low, then you're likely to have them stay longer or until your ship is destroyed.

Also, no confirmation, but they seem to be somewhat localized.

While it's a nice idea, it can also lead to funny situations where you still have like 70% hull but you took several hits in a row that the game deemed "worthy" of causing those new effects, so for a few seconds you have like 3 fires leaving bigger trails than your engines, an energy leak and you just came out of two smoky explosions that swallowed half of your whole ship.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    Well, that's okay - even when the overall ship was fine for the most part, hits in the right spot have caused absolute havoc through the show.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    While it's a nice idea, it can also lead to funny situations where you still have like 70% hull but you took several hits in a row that the game deemed "worthy" of causing those new effects, so for a few seconds you have like 3 fires leaving bigger trails than your engines, an energy leak and you just came out of two smoky explosions that swallowed half of your whole ship.
    This would be somewhat realistic in that there has been cases where a ship looked like it was a semi-floating wreck only to make it to a drydock and be fully repaired (also there has been cases of ships being seemingly fine only to destroyed the next moment HMS Hood seems like a decent example to me)

• solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User

This also means even more VFX spam. As if we didn't have enough trouble seeing our ships as it is. Does Cryptic pay any attention to feedback? It's not like players haven't been begging for less flashy stuff for a good couple of years now.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Yeah, it's almost like to cover the fact they couldn't have damage showing on the physical models for every little fight, they made up a bunch of unrealistic TRIBBLE about how Starfleet ships are nigh-invincible, and now that CGI is a thing, they can do things properly now.​​

Actually it is not at all unrealistic, armored seagoing ships and submarines hit below the waterline tend to suffer from cracked-open seams more often than having big chunks of hull blown away, and Star Trek was based on a mix of Tall Ship era and WWII (in fact captain Pike was loosely modeled after Horatio Hornblower according to Roddenberry).

It is not unreasonable to think that the same would be true of starships in Trek, especially since dialog has damage control crews going into decompressed areas during battle with some sort of patches, something that would not be practical if a floor-to ceiling gaping whole was present like it is in some of the movies and in DSC.

Most injuries reported in TOS are radiation or heat/electrical burns, hypoxia from atmospheric leaks and life support failures, and injuries from exploding equipment inside the hull rather than being sucked out into space (in fact there wasn't a single incident of that mentioned in the whole series).

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    And that's another unrealistic thing TOS foisted on us - though that one at least is shared across the whole spectrum of sci-fi - acting like a massive ship can lose enough atmosphere to become untenable to supporting life through a few small breaches in the span of a few minutes or hours when such a thing would actually take days or weeks. In order to be losing atmosphere that quickly, the ship would need holes in it large enough that the entire ship would break apart if someone so much as looked at it in a nasty manner.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    And that's another unrealistic thing TOS foisted on us - though that one at least is shared across the whole spectrum of sci-fi - acting like a massive ship can lose enough atmosphere to become untenable to supporting life through a few small breaches in the span of a few minutes or hours when such a thing would actually take days or weeks. In order to be losing atmosphere that quickly, the ship would need holes in it large enough that the entire ship would break apart if someone so much as looked at it in a nasty manner.​​

TOS was like a lot of sci-fi shows, what may be a minor inconvenience in one episode may be a life or death situation in another episode. It's still evident in DIS. As demonstrated by the turbolift scenes in the DIS era, there's so much negative (aka unused and open) space within the ship, there should have been more extreme decompression before their TNG era forcefields would kick in, but they didn't show that. As if it wasn't such a big deal after all.

The TOS Enterprise was similar to modern warships, designed to prevent or reduce the amount of water taken on (or atmosphere lost in the case of a starship), by way of a series of bulkheads in the ship (rather than the outrageously large empty space demonstrated in the U.S.S. Discovery) if there was a breach. Damage Control (which was run by the communications officer) would work on trying to seal hull breaches. If they had the budget, they would have shown blastdoors on the TOS Enterprise, like they had in the movies.

TOS was like a lot of sci-fi shows, what may be a minor inconvenience in one episode may be a life or death situation in another episode. It's still evident in DIS. As demonstrated by the turbolift scenes in the DIS era, there's so much negative (aka unused and open) space within the ship, there should have been more extreme decompression before their TNG era forcefields would kick in, but they didn't show that. As if it wasn't such a big deal after all.

The TOS Enterprise was similar to modern warships, designed to prevent or reduce the amount of water taken on (or atmosphere lost in the case of a starship), by way of a series of bulkheads in the ship (rather than the outrageously large empty space demonstrated in the U.S.S. Discovery) if there was a breach. Damage Control (which was run by the communications officer) would work on trying to seal hull breaches. If they had the budget, they would have shown blastdoors on the TOS Enterprise, like they had in the movies.

I'll give you that one. The innards of the ship shown in Discovery was...I don't know what to call it. Stupid comes to mind. TOS ship design was far, far more grounded. And TNG followed more or less the same paradigm as TOS. I don't know where that nonsense in Discovery came from but it was laughably bad.

I am pretty sure it came from under Gringotts Wizarding bank....
  • chanfron66chanfron66 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    speaking of test server, anyone in a KDF fleet that could send me an invite, am in Crypics Tribbles Reborn on fed side, dont know if there is a kdf version, thanks
    • Soft Tribble Warm Tribble, Little ball of fur, Happy Tribble, Sleepy Tribble, Purr Purr Purr
    • Hard Gorny, Cold Gorny, Big Ball of Scales, Angry Gorny, Fighty Gorny, Hiss, Hiss Hisssss
    • History will never forget the name "InvalidEntityName"
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    More adequate thread got made, along with a news blog about it:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1264209/die-gloriously
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11500773-die-gloriously!

And before you ask, no, the thread isn't an official one because it's yet another news that doesn't get an official thread posted by you-know-who.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Personally, i would have loved it if they gave us a EV suit Costume slot in the tailor. Unlock all the armors and such for parts, but let us design and upgrade our EV suits, adding parts like the flashlight or the hover packs for use in space. There are a lot of ways the EV suits could and still can be updated and improved.

As for the Ship explosions, i will be curious to see how well those look and work, but yeah, it would have been nice to get better damage variety when looking at the smashed up hulls. It's always weird what and when they finally decide to update something. As an LTS guy, i'm still waiting for them to give Borg captains a skin that doesn't just end awkwardly at the neck.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    question is though...

what item is used for stats? or is it click the one in use?

probably the latter - IE When you 'turn on' the slotted EV suit, you're using it's stats. When the EV suit is deactivated, your armor slot stats is what the game is now using.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Given the recent event they did on Tribble this EV suit slot may be coming soon
    Personally, i would have loved it if they gave us a EV suit Costume slot in the tailor. Unlock all the armors and such for parts, but let us design and upgrade our EV suits, adding parts like the flashlight or the hover packs for use in space. There are a lot of ways the EV suits could and still can be updated and improved.

I suspect that won't happen because the various EV suit parts are build to combine together only with themselves. See: Red Angel suit costume pieces.

also I suspect that some of the older EV suits in fact have only 1 part and that part is the whole suit. after all it takes less resources to manage 1 single "solid" model opposed to several inter connected pieces.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I do not know if there is a hotkey but here is the toggle for the switch
    armor.jpg
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    spiritborn wrote: »

I suspect that won't happen because the various EV suit parts are build to combine together only with themselves. See: Red Angel suit costume pieces.

also I suspect that some of the older EV suits in fact have only 1 part and that part is the whole suit. after all it takes less resources to manage 1 single "solid" model opposed to several inter connected pieces.

That could also be a factor. Especially if the suit's mesh can't be cleanly broken out into the requisite pieces.

honestly I doubt the mesh could be broken that cleanly, as with a single mesh you could take all kinds of shortcuts that you really can't with a multiple piece mesh (especially one that would have interact with other costume meshes).

For example all fully enclosed helms replace the head mesh rather then going on top of it, so Cryptic doesn't have worry about how the head interacts with helm mesh as you'll never see both at same time, though this has the effect that we'll probably never gonna get spacesuits with clear faceplates
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I do not know if there is a hotkey but here is the toggle for the switch
    armor.jpg

There's also an icon you can drop onto your UI bar from the ground powers list.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • squidjoesquidjoe Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Except for one problem. What about the enviro suits that are part of a set like the Nukara set that has shield and weapon? I still have to dig into my inventory and slot them seperately so....yeah, ok, but still not quite as handy as you think.
    edited November 2021
    squidjoe wrote: »
    Except for one problem. What about the enviro suits that are part of a set like the Nukara set that has shield and weapon? I still have to dig into my inventory and slot them seperately so....yeah, ok, but still not quite as handy as you think.

Depending on how they handle those ground sets it might be handier than you think. If both slots count for the set whether it is the active slot or not then it solves the irritating old problem of having to break the set in scenarios where a vacc suit is required (and vice versa where the vacc suit is the set item).

EDIT: Just saw the patch notes, apparently the suit slot only takes the active one into account for set purposes, so the irritating old problem still persists :(
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    A good idea, always I have EV in my inventory anyway.
  • skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    They removed the free ones. I checked “Boldly They Rode”, “The Power Source”, “Tenebris Torquent”.
    Especially they had different visuals.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Environmental_Suit
This discussion has been closed.