test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Better Ranking System

I know it’s probably never going to change but I think a better ranking system for players would be something like this:

Cadet (0)
Ensign (1-9)
Lieutenant JG (10-19)
Lieutenant (20-29)
Lieutenant Commander (30-39)
Commander (40-49)
Captain (50-59)
Commodore (60-65)

It makes more sense in the lore that our players would be being given orders by the various Admiral ranks who under the current system would be the same rank of even lower and it also replaces “Rear Admiral, Lower Half” with it’s canonical equivalent of “Commodore”.

Comments

• Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    It makes more sense in the lore that our players would be being given orders by the various Admiral ranks who under the current system would be the same rank of even lower and it also replaces “Rear Admiral, Lower Half” with it’s canonical equivalent of “Commodore”.

With the exception of Commodore "Oh" - and honestly, I take that with a grain of salt (along with a lot of other things in Picard... it might be canon, but no one has to like it) - no one has used "commodore" in Starfleet since the original series era. They're basically "one-star admirals", or as in-game, rear admiral lower half. (It follows the same formula - ish - as the U.S. Navy.)

Also, leave my admiralty alone, wouldja?
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Also, Commodore is no longer a stated rank in the late 24th/Early 25th century time period in Star Trek.

[Personally, I'd love to see that rank designation implemented for AoY & ST: D based characters.]
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Honestly I think they're keeping the 25c, AoY and AoD character's ranks the same for 2 reasons, first ease of understanding for players and second ease of programming (AoY and AoD factions are essentially just a reskin of the base 25c UFP faction mechanics wise).

Rear Admiral is also more in line with how people of that rank are used in the TNG era, I don't recall any case where a "1-star" admiral(or higher) commanded a starship as their primary duty, it was always as secondary to their job as a fleet commander. Most people of that rank are lower level flag officers, not senior captains what rank Commodore implies.

Also in regards to getting orders from a person who is lower rank then us, most of the time that boils down to 2 things, operational authority (aka the person giving the orders was made to be in charge of the operation by someone higher ranking then us and thus we must obey unless we got a really good reason not to) or they're relaying orders from a higher authority, remember Quinn might also be 5-star but he has seniority over us due to his much longer service time (Quinn was already a 5-star admiral when we were cadets)
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    Also, Commodore is no longer a stated rank in the late 24th/Early 25th century time period in Star Trek.

[Personally, I'd love to see that rank designation implemented for AoY & ST: D based characters.]

It actually is still a rank within Starfleet even at the end of the 24th century, it might not be a rank in the real life US navy of today. But the show Picard actually shows that the rank is very much still in use within Starfleet. The Half Vulcan/Romulan shown in Picard, is actually of that rank canonically. The existance of this character and her rank just proves that what you say isn't the case. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Oh

They don't even need to add the rank of commodore but they could add in accessories for it, once you reach a certain rank, maybe even a title.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Honestly I think they're keeping the 25c, AoY and AoD character's ranks the same for 2 reasons, first ease of understanding for players and second ease of programming (AoY and AoD factions are essentially just a reskin of the base 25c UFP faction mechanics wise).

Rear Admiral is also more in line with how people of that rank are used in the TNG era, I don't recall any case where a "1-star" admiral(or higher) commanded a starship as their primary duty, it was always as secondary to their job as a fleet commander. Most people of that rank are lower level flag officers, not senior captains what rank Commodore implies.

Also in regards to getting orders from a person who is lower rank then us, most of the time that boils down to 2 things, operational authority (aka the person giving the orders was made to be in charge of the operation by someone higher ranking then us and thus we must obey unless we got a really good reason not to) or they're relaying orders from a higher authority, remember Quinn might also be 5-star but he has seniority over us due to his much longer service time (Quinn was already a 5-star admiral when we were cadets)

keep in mind other factors when discussing lower ranks giving orders/being in charge. while a one star outranks a cpt, the cpt still maintains operational command of his ship, regardless of whom is aboard. therefore, be careful when discussing such things.

I did my compulsory service in the Finnish Navy, so I know this (while I served at coastal base we had to learn these things) and the chief engineer on the boat that took us to our base (well one of the boats) actually outranked the CO of the boat but obviously the CO was the one in charge and yes it was a boat as it wasn't big enough to be a ship. (oh in case anyone's wondering CO=Commanding Officer).

Btw this also extends beyond this and some random high ranking officer can't just go to battlefield and decide he's in charge now, the field commander will have local authority and that will "outrank" anyone else when it comes to operations in that theater (though obviously the local field commander will people who needs to answer to that's part of the chain of command not based just on ranks).
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User

It actually is still a rank within Starfleet even at the end of the 24th century, it might not be a rank in the real life US navy of today. But the show Picard actually shows that the rank is very much still in use within Starfleet. The Half Vulcan/Romulan shown in Picard, is actually of that rank canonically. The existance of this character and her rank just proves that what you say isn't the case. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Oh

They don't even need to add the rank of commodore but they could add in accessories for it, once you reach a certain rank, maybe even a title.

in the US Navy the rank was decommissioned in 1899. the term "commodore" was kept in use to refer to Captains who were in charge of a destroyer squadron or other small ships group, or in the rare cases where it was a captain who was in charge of a cruiser division, usually a flag rank position. Who said being a Navy brat wasn't useful sometimes?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Please refer to the FCT list section 20 on this. Rank change threads are not permitted. While we might like to debate the ranks used in game and if they're appropriate, the ranks are not changing for the forseeable future and the answer has always been no. If you wish to ask Kael about or inquire through official channels by all means do so. Otherwise the previous answer from Cryptic stands. /closed

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.