test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PC Patch Notes for 10/28/21

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited November 2021 in Release Notes
Greetings Captains!
We will be having a maintenance tomorrow, 4/28 at 7AM Pacific for 2.5 hours. (What time is this for me?)
You can find our patch notes here.

=/\=
We value your feedback and want to help direct it to the right locations. Please check the following link to redirect to the best sub-forums to post your replies.
Experiencing a Gameplay Bug with our latest patch? Please click this link to be taken to our Gameplay Bug Report Section to file your reports.
Thank you for the assistance!
The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• karr2k3karr2k3 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Earlier this week end of last week we got news that the Mirror Guardian was going to be making a debut in the zen store 10/28. Is that still happening this week or did someone make an error releasing that information?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    Apparently, a single kit module being able to wipe out half a map's worth of enemies by itself is intended, because all they did was reduce AFG's effectiveness against players.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    karr2k3 wrote: »
    Earlier this week end of last week we got news that the Mirror Guardian was going to be making a debut in the zen store 10/28. Is that still happening this week or did someone make an error releasing that information?

The release of the Mirror Guardian was postponed to December according to the official Star Trek Online accounts on Twitter and Facebook. So no it is not happening this week, that is why the blog was removed. No error was made releasing that info it was pushed back to a later date. With that said, if there are places where that info was released it needs to be removed and mentioned that it is coming in December.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    The registry number on the left nacelle of the Miranda is now in its proper placement.

My hero!
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Reduced the damage of the Shax’s Cannon primary fire.
    First, that's "Shaxs' Cannon" and second:

*sounds of clay tower collapsing* "What. Did you just. Say?"
    https://youtu.be/u9Z5-_A9-Jc?t=41
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User

I was having such fun with that weapon as well. Let's hope it's minor and not the usual nerf it to oblivion that Cryptic tend to do.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    As much as it pains me, part of me wonders why it took so long. During "Operation: Wolf" I could wipe out whole squads with that gun. Myself. Maybe that's the thing. It's new and shiny and OP, we're allowed fun with it for a little while and then NERF BAT!
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • lorien506lorien506 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    karr2k3 wrote: »

The release of the Mirror Guardian was postponed to December. So no it is not happening this week, that is why the blog was removed. No error was made releasing that info it was pushed back to a later date. With that said, there are places where that info was released which needs to be removed and mentioned that it is coming in December.

Something like that should be communicated and not simply been "merkeled" away. A simple sentence like, postponed due to work load or something like that would be quite enough.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User

This: "The registry number on the left nacelle of the Miranda is now in its proper placement." reminds me I wish Cryptic would take another gander at that Einstein's registry display. I was so disappointed & surprised at the bad quality with it looking as bad as it does with the circular miss aligned lighting versus whatever we name the ship.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Greetings Captains!
    We will be having a maintenance tomorrow, 4/28 at 7AM Pacific for 2.5 hours. (What time is this for me?)
    You can find our patch notes here.

=/\=
    We value your feedback and want to help direct it to the right locations. Please check the following link to redirect to the best sub-forums to post your replies.
    Experiencing a Gameplay Bug with our latest patch? Please click this link to be taken to our Gameplay Bug Report Section to file your reports.
    Thank you for the assistance!
    The Star Trek Online Team

Maybe the issue with the Mirror Guardian release is the people at PWE still think it's April and not October. Who knows what year they even think it is at this point.
  • grumpyowl#1151 grumpyowl Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    NERFs to lobi and other payed content should be accompanied by a refund period. Feels like a bait and switch every time they do it. Offer something that's fun and effective for a period to entice folks to buy with real money, then NERF it to oblivion once sales start to level out.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    I've been waiting YEARS for the Rich Dilithium bug to be fixed and MONTHS for my toons to be reset! WTF happened to support? I just spent SEVERAL hundred dollars again STO why do you not have a more responsive support system after all this time of going F2P?
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User

I was having such fun with that weapon as well. Let's hope it's minor and not the usual nerf it to oblivion that Cryptic tend to do.

Yes. I was enjoying it, too. WHY nerf it? Seems they nerf EVERY new item after it's out. :#
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • xenovitaxenovita Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2021

Yes. I was enjoying it, too. WHY nerf it? Seems they nerf EVERY new item after it's out. :#

Also, the DSC Rifle is OP and nobody is nerfing it and many other DSC powers as well. It looks like they need to keep doing propaganda of that show...
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    And what's even more hilarious is they nerfed something that can only devastate one or two groups at a time (I've never used the gun so I don't know how it works or what its base is), yet all they did for the kit module that can literally slaughter HALF A PLAYABLE MAP'S WORTH OF ENEMIES in one deployment...is nerf it against players.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    NERFs to lobi and other payed content should be accompanied by a refund period. Feels like a bait and switch every time they do it. Offer something that's fun and effective for a period to entice folks to buy with real money, then NERF it to oblivion once sales start to level out.

That's why I always advise people against buying power in this game. This has been Cryptic m.o. for years. You release a super powerful item, wait until all the sales and things are over and people have shelled out cash to get it.. then you nerf it. It's absolutely bait and switch, always has been and it won't stop because it keeps working.
    nerfs are needed when its determined to be an all win skill and others post as such in the forums or other media formats. not sure why people always get hurt when the "i win skill," with no real skill involved gets nerfed. and no, no refunds. as for this one they toned down, it was asked for due to the nature of it. and obviously the devs agreed it was needed.

Sorry my friend, but this just shows you haven't played this game very long. Again, these things are planned.. they're intentional. The item was not 'broken' it was powerful by design, it's intended to get people to spend and then they 'fix' it later. This is how Cryptic operates, they do this all the time and have for years.

Lets all be realistic here... does anyone really think they had no idea how strong that gun was when they released it? Really? and if not.. it's a simple damage reduction. Why didn't they do it right out of the box? Why wait until all the lobi and key sales are done and THEN nerf it?

When you stand back and look at how Cryptic does business you will quickly see that they are not a company you should ever give any money to. I grabbed a couple with Lobi I had saved up, it was worth it then, it's still worth it now. The gun is still good but it's just not the 'I win' button that it was intended to be upon release.

These things are intentional, the sooner everyone comes to grips with that the better informed they can be when deciding on how to use their money.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    ive played since beta mate.

Then you should be well used to the practice.

as i explained, there were many posts about the "power" it had. i dont have it, so i go off what others post. seemed it needed to be adjusted, so they did. (and if i read correctly, it was adjusted to lessen dmg against other players, not bad guys in the game, if i read it right.)

You're confusing the two nerfs. The Agony field was nerfed against players, the Phaser Cannon was nerfed flat. The nerf to the Lobi Cannon is the issue, and it's a flat reduction in damage. It's something that could have been done right away if the weapon wasn't working as intended. But as they always do, they waited until the sales were over before nerfing it.

Their fabled 'metrics' tell them how well things are selling. The agony field is obviously still selling, they can see how many people pick that item from boxes and they must feel it's still a factor in driving key sales. As soon as that stops, it will also receive a flat nerf.

this is to say, im not against your PoV on what you posted, it makes sense, but with little proof vs assumptions.

Well, they are obviously not going to release a statement saying that they intentionally release over powered items, milk them for cash and then nerf them. But there are years worth of trends showing that this is exactly what they do. If that's not enough proof for someone, then that's fair.. but I have seen more then enough to judge their business practices over the years.

Lets look at the Phaser Cannon as an example. It was obviously very powerful, now either they didn't realize that when it was released, or they knew ahead of time. It didn't take long for people to realize that this gun was stronger then anything else in the game, to the point where if you had it, there was no reason to use anything else. That took less then a day.. but now it just got 'fixed' almost 2 months later.. why? If the fix was something as simple as a flat reduction why did it take 2 months? It just so happens that a lobi sale and a key sale just ended.. is that just coincidence?

Either they knew it was broken on release and waited to fix it, or they had no idea, never tested it and just dropped it in.. and then waited to fix it. People can pick whatever scenario they like, but neither makes them look particularly good. Again, I don't care, I knew this would happen and advised people I knew not to spend money to get it.

How did I know? Because I have seen it more times then I can count. It's intentional, it's deceptive, and it's sleazy marketing.

• aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    what reset? do you have a thread in the bug section? and as far as what happened to support? nothing did. they just dont play well with customers and prefer to make metrics by cut and pasting most replies, then closing the ticket right after.

Yes in the Support forum. Someone responded asking for a precise description just like previously.

Anyway, they need to go into the account and remove the mission since it cant not be dropped now. They have done it numerous times previously.

Regarding the other aspect of your comment, this is why I loathe the whole F2P BS paradigm. I spend big money on STO and simply get tired of the current customer support and management system because you know F2P means lack of accountability and responsibility simply a focus on monetization to maximizing profits forget all else.

I quit every other game that went F2P walking away from big investments for a couple of them but I am a lifelong ST fan so I will stick with STO until there is another ST MMO option that is not F2P. I have no problem paying several thousand a year for subscription based experience hell I have been doing it for STO essentially since day one but I digress...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
    but things get nerfs...in all games.

Absolutely right, and in many cases they are badly needed fixes. When something comes out, then the next day or next week they say 'sorry guys, this wasn't supposed to work like that, we are fixing it' cool.. no problem, it happens. When they release things broken and wait until everyone has purchased it to then fix it with only a line in the patch notes (or sometimes nothing at all) then I cry foul.
    while im not going to traverse the ToS for this, you could start a thread regarding the tactics, and see how many people defend the stance you take, and maybe they can advocate for a refund.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't feel that would be a productive use of my time. It would just end up locked or deleted, Cryptic has absolutely no intention of refunding anyone for these items and I believe that discussion could not possibly yield anything positive. I will just continue to enjoy what I can of the game without any further financial contribution. Sooner or later, players will get tired of it and stop spending. It's unavoidable. :wink:
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    This: "The registry number on the left nacelle of the Miranda is now in its proper placement." reminds me I wish Cryptic would take another gander at that Einstein's registry display. I was so disappointed & surprised at the bad quality with it looking as bad as it does with the circular miss aligned lighting versus whatever we name the ship.

post this in the bug section with a pic.

nerfs are needed when its determined to be an all win skill and others post as such in the forums or other media formats. not sure why people always get hurt when the "i win skill," with no real skill involved gets nerfed. and no, no refunds. as for this one they toned down, it was asked for due to the nature of it. and obviously the devs agreed it was needed.
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    I've been waiting YEARS for the Rich Dilithium bug to be fixed and MONTHS for my toons to be reset! WTF happened to support? I just spent SEVERAL hundred dollars again STO why do you not have a more responsive support system after all this time of going F2P?

what reset? do you have a thread in the bug section? and as far as what happened to support? nothing did. they just dont play well with customers and prefer to make metrics by cut and pasting most replies, then closing the ticket right after.

Will do when I get motivated, thanks for the suggestion.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Cryptic, who supposedly has such a good data analysis system they can tell you what ships you want a T6 for: "Why so many people with Shaxs' bazooka? What's so special about it?"

Then again, it's also the same studio whose lead system designer said this:

Without realizing it's literally just the latest Windows 10 main update, 21H1, from May 2021. And that all Windows builds have this kind of numbers.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    Cryptic, who supposedly has such a good data analysis system they can tell you what ships you want a T6 for: "Why so many people with Shaxs' bazooka? What's so special about it?"

Then again, it's also the same studio whose lead system designer said this:

Without realizing it's literally just the latest Windows 10 main update, 21H1, from May 2021. And that all Windows builds have this kind of numbers.

Yeah, I saw that.. that was pretty dumb. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.