test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain Rank on Boffs

2»

Comments

• marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Captain Akira Sulu is first officer of Earth Space Dock, so “canonically” in STO captains can serve under an admiral who’s in command of a starship or starbase. So yes, this should happen.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    Never really understood why some people want to play as Admirals, all they do is sit around all day filing paper work, some of which are morally corrupt like Satie or complete jerks like Clancy.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Never really understood why some people want to play as Admirals, all they do is sit around all day filing paper work, some of which are morally corrupt like Satie or complete jerks like Clancy.

Commodore is a kind of admiral (what the game calls "Rear Admiral Lower Half"), and some of them have field commands (like Decker in The Doomsday Machine), enough in fact that in TOS Starfleet made separate insignia to distinguish between ground and field commodores (and possibly other admirals, since the rank is still on the sleeves).
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > Commodore is a kind of admiral (what the game calls "Rear Admiral Lower Half"), and some of them have field commands (like Decker in The Doomsday Machine), enough in fact that in TOS Starfleet made separate insignia to distinguish between ground and field commodores (and possibly other admirals, since the rank is still on the sleeves).

It grinds my gears they went with RALH and it was always defended with 'but the RL US Navy did this and that". Now canon has finally shown it's Commodore, no such thing as RALH. The game should adapt, especially since it's just a text change. But knowing how these things worked in the past, one of the two devs of STO probably has to crawl through the game code one line at a time (no search or replace feature, because) and manually change every single appearance of 'RALH' to 'Commodore' and that's impossible to do. Or something like that.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    The only workaround for now is to use a Holo Boff at captain's rank. For instance, a DSC Starfleet could roleplay as either First Officer under Captain Lorca, or Admiral with Lorca's ship as their flagship.

The option to give a boff captain pips would be cool in the Tailor, tho.

And I also out myself as somebody who prefers the title "Commodore" over "Rear Admiral, Lower Half".
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I like idea of captain boffs but I like being a fleet admiral
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Well I too would like this. Because while at the battle of Sector 001, yes there was an Admiral in command of the fleet, he wasn't on the bridge.

Infact in some space operas like Star Trek(and in real life) there is what is called a "Flag Bridge". Basically meaning when the ship is in combat or at battlestations and is flagship of an Admiral, he commands the squadron from the Flag Bridge.

So if anything there should be flag bridges in STO once we hit Admiral. And our First officer should be able to take command of the ship as a Captain.

Then ofcourse you can also have the Flag Staff which also the Chief of Staff could have the same Rank as the Captain, but the Captain of the ship has the white shoulders while our chief of staff simply has the standard Oddy uniform.

Plenty of ways to do this.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • gminfly#3704 gminfly Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Folks really want to appoint Captain rank to Boff that often act like this in combat?

While that was funny, the fact that some real players act like wet breadsticks on TFOs like "Khitomer in Stasis", "Brotherhood of the Sword" or the new Halloween one, tells me that my Boffs have a good shot at being President of the Federation.

But to answer your actual question on "want":
    Yes people want this for ages:
    https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262012/suggestion-boff-promotion-to-captain-rank
    https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/9606855
    https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/11654771
    https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/10290891
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Thread in Necromancy territory.
    *casts Holy Photon Torpedo*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.