test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Die gloriously

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    Well, for your ship, it doesn't matter much because you won't be doing anything anyway until the respawn timer comes off CD...but those effects aren't going to be just on YOUR ship.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Also, having watched the 'new' version in action (rather than just still images), I find the changes to be a wash. Some parts are better. Other parts are worse (the giant decompression poofs are just ridiculous).

I have to agree, as often as we go up and down in hull HP we are going to constantly look like we are puffing smoke or worse. The end explosion is flashier but the rest doesnt look impressively better than the old. Older ST games have far more impressive damage models.

Sorry to the guys who worked on this not trying to knock you im sure your limited in what you can do. If cryptic is going to the trouble of redoing ship dmg they need to revamp the whole dmg model system. And as others have said, give people an option to scale the VFX spam like FF14 does. I would even include an option to turn ship model dmg off for those people who just want to see their pristine ship at all times.
  • astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    I think this is indeed looking glorious. I'm looking forward to seeing this in game... and maybe playing deliberately badly once in a while... :smile:
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
    Well, as SaurianLizard mentioned, this new damage system isn't fully tied to HP level like the current one is, but the severity of the damage dealt to your ship...which actually just made me think of something really hilarious - for a tank that's damn near immortal playing in elite content, they're going to be having all manner of decompressions, explosions and plasma leaks going off near-constantly...while not really suffering any major HP loss and instantly recovering any that does happen.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    I see the Oberth Class new trait visual is looking fine! LOL! :D
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    This is ridiculous. We need less VFX spam, not more of it.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • banditse1977#1368 banditse1977 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    dacia#9992 wrote: »
    Thank you for the screenshots.

So long as it only affects Player ships, this should be fine as far FX spam goes. I just kinda wish the devs would take our feedback on it more seriously, particularly when it comes to ground missions. "The rule of cool" has a way of being mercilessly abused to the point where it's not even remotely cool anymore.

There was an interview with the Chris Menard who handles this sort of stuff back in March:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/m7hs9l/ten_forward_weekly_17032021_vfx_artist_chris/

""As the one who actually makes the effects, Chris is aware that every time the power he's making right now would be running alongside with "97 other" and the result would be seizure-inducing glowy mess, but hes bossed just see shiny and want it to be shinier."

So its just continue being spammy.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Hope this don't bog down frame rates...
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    It seems like the new effect could obscure vision.

So... no different than the rest of the over saturated VFX vomit that already exists?

its actually quite fun to see the new effects on the ship. i ran a few patrols this morning and it works well with the damage being given.

i quite like it a lot. and no, it doesnt obscure vision as posted. the vfx for skills is still far worse.

Can you confirm whether or not it affects NPC ships? An earlier poster said it did, which suggests to me that TFO's like Hive Onslaught are going to be nothing but 3 minutes of orange screen.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    dacia#9992 wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    It seems like the new effect could obscure vision.

So... no different than the rest of the over saturated VFX vomit that already exists?

its actually quite fun to see the new effects on the ship. i ran a few patrols this morning and it works well with the damage being given.

i quite like it a lot. and no, it doesnt obscure vision as posted. the vfx for skills is still far worse.

Can you confirm whether or not it affects NPC ships? An earlier poster said it did, which suggests to me that TFO's like Hive Onslaught are going to be nothing but 3 minutes of orange screen.

i will check soon when i get back on. currently all i noticed was my own ship with the new visuals.

edit: per this:
    We never want our ships to explode. We spend lots of time making sure our ships don't explode. But if we are going to explode, it should look nice, shouldn't it? Ship Artist and FX Artist Ian Richards thought the same, and so he took the time to rebuild the FX that play when your ship is damaged, all the way up until it explodes. This launches next week on PC, and very soon after on Console. You can see the full difference in the new FX in the video below.
    given the details from the page, its ones own ship and not everything else. :) (but i will still check it out again)
    That's incorrect, the NPC get the effects as well.

That's even literally how I realized they changed it, because at first I thought it was an experimental weapon causing this.

Feel free to check my screenshots in the other thread (https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13696089/#Comment_13696089 ) (EDIT: And you even commented on them)
    Flaming trails, explosions and smoke when damaged (also happens on the PC's ship, I was in reverse when it happened):
    20211023134630_1.png?raw=1
    Multiple explosions before a core breach:
    20211023135933_1.png?raw=1
    Warp core breaches:
    20211023134652_1.png?raw=1

and if you're somehow still not convinced:

20211024051959_1.png?raw=1
    20211024052003_1.png?raw=1
    20211024052055_1.png?raw=1
    20211024052005_1.png?raw=1
    20211024052107_1.png?raw=1
    20211024052104_1.png?raw=1
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    So, I went to check a Hur'q mission to see how it goes and oh boy:
    20211026205358_2.png?raw=1
    20211026205317_1.png?raw=1

PC+tons of weak enemies+battered allied NPCs+pets.

So far:
    Vaadwaur, Tholians, Hur'q, Terrans (and likely Feds), Klingons, Elachi, Son'a, Tzenkethi, Fek'ihri: Fully implemented
    Borg, Romulan: Impact effects, no changes in death explosions yet
    Herald: Fully implemented for smaller ships, Impact effects, no changes in death explosions yet for the rest

My guess is ships that have a different core breach effect won't be changed.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    So, I just thought of something...did they update any of the death FX on Romulan ships?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    To those that have the "first world" problem of loss of frame rate, there is a very simple way to not have that issue. Don't use items with the effects you are complaining about. Simple, effective, no muss no fuss.

Also the Devs can work on other more important things.

I know, I know but my DPS....

Not everyone will be willing to make that choice but the most effective change begins with you.

Cirran

P.S. I think the Dilithium exchange will be fixed LONG before the easy effective fix above is utilized.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    cirran1 wrote: »
    To those that have the "first world" problem of loss of frame rate, there is a very simple way to not have that issue. Don't use items with the effects you are complaining about. Simple, effective, no muss no fuss.

Not everyone will be willing to make that choice but the most effective change begins with you.

Cirran

P.S. I think the Dilithium exchange will be fixed LONG before the easy effective fix above is utilized.

That advice basically boils down to 'don't use abilities, traits and spec points'.

Might as well stop playing the game then. Players aren't to blame for visual spam.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2021

Cirran

That doesn't stop the other 3 people in a TFO from using them. FPS rates weren't the problem for me; whiting out the screen in a ground TFO where you have to attack only on certain spots to do any damage was.
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User

Cirran

That advice basically boils down to 'don't use abilities, traits and spec points'.

Might as well stop playing the game then. Players aren't to blame for visual spam.

This, also my problem isn't frame rate, it's being all but unable to see my ship (or at times anything else) while in combat. There have been times I couldn't even tell I was firing due to the useless status buff/debuff/whatever else they foist on us VFX junk.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User

Cirran

Why in the world do you think this is about framerate?
  • athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I have to admit, I do love the new explosion effects. Hearing the satisfying crunch as you pass them by is great! I'm seeing a black box layer appear on screen though.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    I agree with second comment, the new explosions are nice, but I'd rather appreciate the ability to reduce visual spam. Sometimes you really don't see anything.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    There is nothing at all wrong with visual spam. It's nice to see the skills being used doing something. And they do not effect performance at all so it's not a bad thing at all.

That aside I love the new explosions. Thy are much more appealing to look at, especially when taking out swarmers, etc. in large groups.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    There is nothing at all wrong with visual spam. It's nice to see the skills being used doing something. And they do not effect performance at all so it's not a bad thing at all.

That aside I love the new explosions. Thy are much more appealing to look at, especially when taking out swarmers, etc. in large groups.

while people tend over emphasize the issue, there is an issue, while not unique to STO the level of obstruction we get with some of the more visual skills is too much while 90% of the time I have no real issues seeing myself or the enemies it still doesn't mean there isn't an issue that needs to be solved ASAP.

EDIT:personally I'd allow players to pick if they want to display full effects or make the "hud only" (aka skill that have no visuals apart from one in the in-universe HUD) invisible and the other skills less prominent.
This discussion has been closed.