test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enviroment Suits now have a separate slot next to the Body Armour slot! Tribble server

captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
I'm no expert in posting pictures so I can't show it, but I went on to check out the Saber model upgrade, and my character was wearing his EVA suit!

I thought maybe it was a bug, until I opened up the Character UI, and there it was!

There is a eye icon next to the Enviro suit, which can cause the Enviro suit to show up, rather than your regular appearance (instead of using the drop down UI to disable visuals).
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Tribble or Holodeck??
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    What about Boffs? Do they have the same?
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    dacia#9992 wrote: »
    What about Boffs? Do they have the same?

Yes, bridge officers have the same.

Tkbsgu8.jpg
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Sweet. Looks like they resolved the coding issue with trying to enable a EV Suit at the same time as armour.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Maybe both and they will just make slightly more difficult content.

I hope this is added. It will add a lot more options do my ground game.

Looking at it the only one that might be worth it stat wise is the paladin solonae lobi one.
    Post edited by aftulus on
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Looks interesting, not to mention it will free up a LOT of inventory space.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    So, how does the Red Angel interact with this, since it used the EV suit button to activate the Red Ranger Morpher.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    hevach wrote: »
    So, how does the Red Angel interact with this, since it used the EV suit button to activate the Red Ranger Morpher.
    Currently, the EV button (both for activating/deactivating EV suit) and the RA mode button are disabled, you can't get their power tray to show up. My guess is they're still working on fully implementing the changes.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, they went with something different: the EV suit auto-activates when needed if it's equipped in its slot (tested it on Nukara, it activates as soon as you beam down).
    And I think it's a bad idea since you can't manually do it (not in combat, not outside, unless you manually remove the suit from its slot) and I can expect issues in missions where you have to manually activate suits to progress and even trigger scripts.

The Red Angel activation button tray (and likely other suits' activation button tray (EDIT 3: actually, no, it's only the Red Angel suit)) is simply gone and can only be used by being placed in your limited ground power trays.

EDIT 2: Alright, I checked with the Tox'Uthat recovery mission where you board the Tholian ship and it does activate automatically (though you need to exit your shuttle and walk a few meters INSIDE the Tholian ship, which is counter-intuitive).
    Funny enough, your Boffs currently don't need to have one equipped to survive the hostile environment.

Also, unrelated, but they also revamped the VFX and SFX when ships explode and show damage.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    I mentioned in an edit that while the Red Angel suit lost its special activation tray, the rest of the suits (Mirro Lorca's, Privateer, etc) didn't.
    And I was wondering how they handled it. Well, it turned out:
    20211023142813_1.png?raw=1
    They didn't. The buttons just overlap right now.

Also, note the very useful direction of the EV suit's light when you're holding a minigun (yes, I'm facing forward as the reticle can confirm).

Some screenshots of the new explosions, but it's better to directly see them in action (hence why I don't make a new thread):
    Flaming trails, explosions and smoke when damaged (also happens on the PC's ship, I was in reverse when it happened):
    20211023134630_1.png?raw=1
    Multiple explosions before a core breach:
    20211023135933_1.png?raw=1
    Warp core breaches:
    20211023134652_1.png?raw=1
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Brainfart, would it not be funny if you would use the Red Angel suit for shuttle content if you did not have a shuttle in your ship roster?
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »
    Brainfart, would it not be funny if you would use the Red Angel suit for shuttle content if you did not have a shuttle in your ship roster?

That would be a cool addition. More realism would be nice in this game. Might lead to more depth overall in other areas.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    About damn time they've done something about ship explosions...they haven't been touched since game launch and were always exceedingly unrealistic (not that any game set in space has realistic explosions, especially if they have 2D shockwaves *cough*Armada*cough*).​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    About damn time they've done something about ship explosions...they haven't been touched since game launch and were always exceedingly unrealistic (not that any game set in space has realistic explosions, especially if they have 2D shockwaves *cough*Armada*cough*).​​

I wish they do new ship textures for damage.. missing pieces, torned hulls, emergency forcefields and something like that
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

I wish they do new ship textures for damage.. missing pieces, torned hulls, emergency forcefields and something like that

Missing pieces would be insanely hard to do (in fact anything that changes the model significantly would be) as you can't really do it with just textures as it would show parts of the models that not only have no textures, also cannot have them. What the devs would have to do is build sections of interior that's only visible when the ship is damage for each ship model in the game at best they could get away to 2D image on a flat surface at worst they'd have to build a section of the interior in full 3D.

You might get away with small missing pieces or holes with so bright Emergency forcefields on them that no details are shown.

While the damage textures could do with an HD rework I'd be surprised if we got much beyond the scorched outer hull, exposed sections of inner hull and minor glow/fire except in higher detail.
    edited October 2021
    What if they added random sized peices that made it look like there was an interior behind it. Then when you get hit you geta whole with stuff inside as part of the exterior hole addition. I think you can make the spot on the hull invisible with new parts can't you? that or use a clever 2d/3d illusion. I would think you could make an actual interior piece that is a part cone go inside and have interior though without actually removing the old hull or 3d modeling.

Isn't there a way to add a spot and make the old hull see through at that location while the actual old 3d is still there untouched? If not it could display the other side of the ship as if it were clear and then add inside 3d geometry as it gets hit. Basically like cloaking tech but made to give the appearance of a lack of surface textures.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    That might work on the ridiculously fragile DSC ships where a very slow speed collision hit by a rock tears huge sections of hull off, but it would not be appropriate for heavily armored hulls like the TOS era (not movie era) ships.

For example, in Tomorrow is Yesterday a crippled Enterprise was deep in atmosphere with no shields and running on battery power clawing its way slowly towards space when Spock pointed out that in their damaged condition the interceptor (an F-101 Voodoo) approaching them could possibly damage them further with its nuclear air-to-air missiles. That is way more energy than that slowly spinning rock would have had.
    aftulus wrote: »
    What if they added random sized peices that made it look like there was an interior behind it. Then when you get hit you geta whole with stuff inside as part of the exterior hole addition. I think you can make the spot on the hull invisible with new parts can't you? that or use a clever 2d/3d illusion. I would think you could make an actual interior piece that is a part cone go inside and have interior though without actually removing the old hull or 3d modeling.

Isn't there a way to add a spot and make the old hull see through at that location while the actual old 3d is still there untouched? If not it could display the other side of the ship as if it were clear and then add inside 3d geometry as it gets hit. Basically like cloaking tech but made to give the appearance of a lack of surface textures.
    It's still added model complexity or some really bad looking 2D textures. The thing to remember is that there's absolutely nothing inside the models normally if you remove a section (or make it invisible), what you'd see is the hollow interior of the actual model. now you could make it so that there's a interior piece set at specific locations (and it would have have to be at specific locations that spawns when you remove certain sections, but that interior piece would either be there always, or spawn the exact same moment the exterior is removed.

Either way it demands added model complexity and that not an easy nor could it be something that could be added "on the fly" to random section but rather it would mostly likely be specific parts that get removed.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    That might work on the ridiculously fragile DSC ships where a very slow speed collision hit by a rock tears huge sections of hull off, but it would not be appropriate for heavily armored hulls like the TOS era (not movie era) ships.

For example, in Tomorrow is Yesterday a crippled Enterprise was deep in atmosphere with no shields and running on battery power clawing its way slowly towards space when Spock pointed out that in their damaged condition the interceptor (an F-101 Voodoo) approaching them could possibly damage them further with its nuclear air-to-air missiles. That is way more energy than that slowly spinning rock would have had.

To put it in another way, Starfleet decided that super-sized, super-fragile ships were the way to go. Would explain why there's no DIS era ships to be seen during Kirk's time. They would have been scrapped after a skirmish with a D-7. 🥴

"But the combat is so dynamic now!" The show's expensive enough, it would have been worse if they had to use physical models for the damage that DIS era ships had during the show. But when you think how much it would have set back Starfleet if they had to practically build a new ship ever time the ship came limping into spacedock.

JJTrek set a bad precedence for Discovery, after all the Enterprise was gravely damaged if not destroyed, in all three movies.
    Yeah, it's almost like to cover the fact they couldn't have damage showing on the physical models for every little fight, they made up a bunch of unrealistic TRIBBLE about how Starfleet ships are nigh-invincible, and now that CGI is a thing, they can do things properly now.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    spiritborn wrote: »
    gaevsman wrote: »

Missing pieces would be insanely hard to do (in fact anything that changes the model significantly would be) as you can't really do it with just textures as it would show parts of the models that not only have no textures, also cannot have them. What the devs would have to do is build sections of interior that's only visible when the ship is damage for each ship model in the game at best they could get away to 2D image on a flat surface at worst they'd have to build a section of the interior in full 3D.

You might get away with small missing pieces or holes with so bright Emergency forcefields on them that no details are shown.

While the damage textures could do with an HD rework I'd be surprised if we got much beyond the scorched outer hull, exposed sections of inner hull and minor glow/fire except in higher detail.

They'd need to create their own version of the tech that Valve built for L4D2 zombies. The basic zombies can have any number of limbs or chunks of their bodies missing.

essentially yes though building it for an MMO (not mention a game that's over 10 years old) is no small feat.
    I'd actually like to see them use a similar system to how the damage was rendered in Bridge Commander...though, like piloting from the bridge itself, that's a feature I know will never come to this game.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Found one weird thing with the new explosions, they still happen even when a ship is disintegrated by the dark matter torps.
    edited October 2021
    Well, Borg cubes disintegrated by Omega Plasma torpedoes or the Dark Matter torpedo also explode as normal after several seconds (and deal core breach damage so it's not just a VFX glitch), so...business as usual.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @legendarylycan#5411 said:
    > About damn time they've done something about ship explosions...they haven't been touched since game launch and were always exceedingly unrealistic (not that any game set in space has realistic explosions, especially if they have 2D shockwaves *cough*Armada*cough*).​​

Yeah any shockwave, explosion, or ‘boom’ is unrealistic. There is no atmosphere in space, obviously.
This discussion has been closed.