test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who is the Terran Emperor? (Spoilers)

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    thay8472 wrote: »
    That aside though. There were a lot of aliens in the Terran Rebellion (Trills, Vulcans, Bajorans, Ferengi etc) fighting against the Alliance. I could very well see the Terrans admiring those races and accepting them into the Empire.
    Not believing in the "You have outlived your usefulness" trope?
    You're a shameful disappointment for a supposed Terran Empire sympathizer, and a traitor! *Pod people's scream* :P
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that shows tolerance above what we have here - that kind of thing happens in the Navy too...yeah, you don't really get privacy on those ships.​​

Males and females share the very same showers?

Looking to sign up? lol :D *wags finger* Joking :P
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    How does Stamets being TRIBBLE, or Owo being a black woman, contribute to the plot? Obvious desire to exclude the unfamiliar is obvious.

It doesn't. Nor are either thing ever raised as plot points.
    Nor was Adira's statement. It was a bit of throwaway dialog, between Adina and Stamets while they were alone, and (so far at least) hasn't come up as "plot" in even the smallest way.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    That aside though. There were a lot of aliens in the Terran Rebellion (Trills, Vulcans, Bajorans, Ferengi etc) fighting against the Alliance. I could very well see the Terrans admiring those races and accepting them into the Empire.
    Not believing in the "You have outlived your usefulness" trope?
    You're a shameful disappointment for a supposed Terran Empire sympathizer, and a traitor! *Pod people's scream* :P

Well if it goes TRIBBLE up and they don't want to be part of the glorious Terran Empire then think of all the cannon fodder we'd have! Yes we'll have to give a few of these dirty aliens special treatment so the other dirty aliens just walk into the recruitment centres.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    I'm not sure how that shows tolerance above what we have here - that kind of thing happens in the Navy too...yeah, you don't really get privacy on those ships.​​

nope
    female country and male country are off limits to the opposite gender, the opposite sex mus announce the intention to enter and only for official business.
    Spock.jpg

• aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User

I think the problem isn't sharing a showering. It's if you have to share it at the same time. outside of safety concerns.
    edited October 2021
    What if he is mirror armus and he is reveiled to be related to the baul or an older variation of them. As in maybe another species did the same thing or it was done again later to create the baul.

Maybe he learned to take the form of a human from contact or finding the titans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUHTGIqHOA
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    kayajay wrote: »
    Oh, hang on...if we're playing the gender pronoun game, then does that mean the Disco not-Trill-Trill? Aka, a totally irrelevant thing that was added to a show set in the future where it wouldn't have even been an issue, but was shoehorned into the show, because they want to be seen as PC relevant?
    A. your bigotry is showing.

B. The emergency that led to a human host permanently bonding with a Trill symbiont (not the first time such a pairing has happened - Riker played host to a Trill once, as you might recall) is still several centuries in our future, and almost certainly wouldn't have happened under an Imperial regime, as they wouldn't risk a human life to save a mere alien.

So C. cool your jets. Logically, whoever the Emperor is can't be any older than TNG-era. If Beltran hadn't developed an allergy to Star Trek, I'd be wondering about the possibility of Emperor Chakotay.

A. ME? A BIGOT? You better take that back.

I don't care about B. and C, but I certainly do about being called a bigot.
    Hey, cap, you're the one claiming that the fact that Adira is NB was "shoehorned" into the show "because they want to be seen as PC relevant", as if enbies aren't valid in and of themselves but must be serving some higher PC "purpose". (In fact, it was "shoehorned" in because Blu del Barrio is themself enby, and there was no reason not to let their character reflect who they are.)

Also apparently claiming that Adina is the first "not-Trill-Trill", which in addition to ignoring Riker's own history on TNG is a bit of what might be called "fantastic racism" - we've already seen that Trill symbionts can bond with hosts of other species, and it's not unreasonable that Gray's affection for Adina could lead to a complete bond.

Are you saying that Odan's love for Beverly was less? He loved her! And yet, it was biological incompatibility that forced him out of Riker.

The love story that love could overcome cross-species incompatibility is great and "Twilight", but it's also insulting.

Adira is human. Humans are biologically incompatible of being long-term hosts...which a lot (although not as many as is publicly known) Trill even aren't capable of being.

Why a Trill can't be host, why that Symbiote couldn't have been DAX, is beyond me. I'm sorry, but that love that overcome genetics? That's seriously insulting to me personally.

So what, if you're genetically incompatible for transplant or for absolutely anything else, it's just because you don't love someone enough?

That's pretty sick and foul statement by Disco.
    Riker was biologically incapable of being a long-term host, using 24th-century medical knowledge. You're brewing an awful lot of soup from one bone.

And the host couldn't have been Dax, or in fact any trained Trill, because they would have known exactly what was going on inside them and there wouldn't have been any hook, any reason for them to have remained on Earth when they could have gotten a ride with a courier.

You seek insult where there is none, and assume biological determinism where it has not been presented. You also assume that bonding is necessarily strictly biological, when we have been told in so many words that some hosts can't bond with a symbiont because they're psychologically incompatible with the concept.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    I find it weird how you guys keep referring the symbiote as Trill, while I get that they're from the same planet as the Trill, it just gets confusing after a while.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I think your toon is emperor after that cut scenes
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    Not if there's VO. There can't be one voice, or even one set of voices, that can cover all of the species and genders available to the player.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Who says the Emperor needs to speak? They could be letting others do the speaking for them, like the Mouth of Sauron from Lord of the Rings (and yes, I know that's not the best example because Sauron himself DID speak like...three times through the series).​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    If anything, the cutscene confirms the character is not the emperor.

Kuumaarke: "HE will be most pleased"
    *cue the character showing up*
    Kuumaarke in a "giving orders" tone to said character: "Make sure all is ready for the next stage."

Yeah, I'm sure the Emperor would love Kuumaarke bossing HIM around.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    Wasn't noye in the morality mission working with admiral leeta. Was that mirror noya then? Either way, maybe it's noye. Or mirror noye.
    If anything, the cutscene confirms the character is not the emperor.

Kuumaarke: "HE will be most pleased"
    *cue the character showing up*
    Kuumaarke in a "giving orders" tone to said character: "Make sure all is ready for the next stage."

Yeah, I'm sure the Emperor would love Kuumaarke bossing HIM around.

Exactly, plus the Emperor is Terran
    I have 4 Vulcans, 1 Romulan, 1 Jem'Hadar, 1 Klingon, 1 Cardassian and 1 Orion none of which fit the Terran part
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    How does Stamets being TRIBBLE, or Owo being a black woman, contribute to the plot? Obvious desire to exclude the unfamiliar is obvious.

It doesn't. Nor are either thing ever raised as plot points.

Starfleet is far more tolerant than we are now. Adira wouldn't need to hide who they are, nor would they need to 'come out', because in the future, it's not an issue.

This is how I believe it should have been presented, and it would have made a much more powerful statement about how things can and should be.

I also think it would have been a more powerful statement if a couple other than Stamets/Culver 'adopted' them. But then, there aren't any other couples on the show, so that wouldn't have worked...

Having said all that, I think the way they did it was OK, and would have been absolutely fine if it weren't for the fact that we know it wouldn't have been an issue in the future.

-K

This.

And Starfleet's tolerance has actually been demonstrated in Lower Decks ( Kayshon, His Eyes Open.) where the junior officers ALL took sonic showers together.

This is not a demonstration of tolerance, but a joke from the screenwriter.

LoL, in the future they have shared showers, and so far we have blurred cartoon! naked toons.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Who says the Emperor needs to speak? They could be letting others do the speaking for them, like the Mouth of Sauron from Lord of the Rings (and yes, I know that's not the best example because Sauron himself DID speak like...three times through the series).​​

Well Cryptic themselves have said they had character in mind but weren't sure if the actor was available if reference to the Emperor so this suggests that Emperor will speak by themself and not only thru a minion.

EDIT:Also writing the Player Character as such a prominent part of the story would be a nightmare to write as every player has an idea how their character's personality and if the mirror version doesn't reflect that (excuse the pun) people will get angry.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Well Cryptic themselves have said they had character in mind but weren't sure if the actor was available if reference to the Emperor so this suggests that Emperor will speak by themself and not only thru a minion.

EDIT:Also writing the Player Character as such a prominent part of the story would be a nightmare to write as every player has an idea how their character's personality and if the mirror version doesn't reflect that (excuse the pun) people will get angry.

Not much work for my toon's personality, my main is a stereotypical Vulcan, except that he believes in time travel which the science council deemed doesn't exist, but it's not like time travel would come up in a conversation, his theories on time travel was what got him transfered from Vulcan Science academy to Starfleet academy in the 2270s, however the existence of Ensign Hunter and the whole being sent to 2409 was all the proof he needed.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Not much work for my toon's personality, my main is a stereotypical Vulcan, except that he believes in time travel which the science council deemed doesn't exist, but it's not like time travel would come up in a conversation, his theories on time travel was what got him transfered from Vulcan Science academy to Starfleet academy in the 2270s, however the existence of Ensign Hunter and the whole being sent to 2409 was all the proof he needed.

Yeah might be that not every player does major work but enough players might, for example my main character is from an alien species that's essentially my own invention so everything about her personality and culture is known to only me (and people I've told about it) so Cryptic has essentially nothing to base the mirror version on (for as prominent role as the Emperor would be). It's probably the same reason there's no voice actor for the player characters, way too much work for not enough returns.
    edited October 2021
    BTW my Romulan alt is already evil in the prime universe, I mean sure there are still lines even he wouldn't cross like betray his people or treat remans like TRIBBLE, however he still considers both The Federation and Klingon Empire fair game when it comes to backstabbing, personally I could see him teaming up with his mirror counterpart, whatever my mirror self could do, I could do better, "anything they can do, I can do better, I can do anything better than them."
    ...my main is a stereotypical Vulcan, except that he believes in time travel which the science council deemed doesn't exist...
    The Vulcan Science Council might seem a bit hidebound, but they're scientists, not priests. The existence of time travel was proved about a century after T'Pol made her statement on the topic, when NCC-1701 accidentally discovered the temporal slingshot while escaping a nonrotating black hole (assumed nonrotating at least, as the spatial distortion caused by a rotating black hole should have triggered at least a dozen navigational alarms). (TOS: "Tomorrow Is Yesterday") Later, Starfleet used a controlled version of the same technique to send NCC-1701 backtime to observe the failed launch of a nuclear defense platform in 1968 (TOS: "Assignment: Earth") - this turned out to be a predestination paradox, where the failure of the launch (which delayed the start of World War Three) required the presence of both Gary Seven and James Kirk. It would be more than a bit ludicrous for the Science Council to continue to dogmatically deny the existence of something Starfleet is in fact using.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    what if it's Jesus? lol, I'm kidding but it is funny none the less.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User

Terran Empire probably shot him the moment he returned. He abandoned the Empire for too long!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    Well, they'd shoot him anyway, since the Terran Empire pulls heavily from the Roman Empire even if not being a direct evolution of it...and the Romans crucified Jesus.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Terran Empire probably shot him the moment he returned. He abandoned the Empire for too long!

He'd still be on the cross....
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    Benjamin Sisko.
    arliekkos wrote: »
    Benjamin Sisko.

While possible from what I've heard Avery Brooks isn't kind of done with acting (and might have gone a bit weird in his older years) so getting him to reprise the role might be hard/expensive and Cryptic doesn't really want to use pre-existing characters unless they can get the original actor only exceptions after that rule has been in place have been Scotty (where the replacement actor was the son of the original since the original actor is dead) and Tenavik (where the original actor chose his replacement due to being unable to reprise the role because of medical reasons) I can't think of any case where they recently used a sound alike due actor not wanting to reprise the role (note that Kenneth Mitchell was willing but not capable hence his role being voiced by Sam Witwer in STO).
    Well, they could always try voice synthesis...but they'd still need to pay Brooks for the use of his voice because the program would need to be trained on it to adequately replicate it, and given the sheer amount of tedious setting tweaking that would be needed to make it sound not-robotic...at best, it would probably cost just as much as simply bringing Brooks in for a few hours to record lines.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Well, they could always try voice synthesis...but they'd still need to pay Brooks for the use of his voice because the program would need to be trained on it to adequately replicate it, and given the sheer amount of tedious setting tweaking that would be needed to make it sound not-robotic...at best, it would probably cost just as much as simply bringing Brooks in for a few hours to record lines.​​

Not mention that Brooks owns the copyright to his likeness so Cryptic would need to ask his permission anyway.
This discussion has been closed.