test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

halloween nightmare?

Comments

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Just hoping they will have the EASTER bunny event next :)

Hmm, now where were those pics from Shore Leave, with the White Rabbit, and McCoy with his pink & yellow showgirls... o:)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I too wish there was a patrol version so I could take my time with it and see the visuals without 4 AOE kit powers from the others going off constantly.

I played with my TOS fed captain on xbox and there was no library puzzle. Which was good since only one player (not me!) had any idea what we were supposed to do.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Did a dream run of 17 minutes today. Yesterday was more like 45. I think the only real issue is the puzzle stage. The first day I got potions and the second I got books. Not sure what happens if the 1 or 2 players sent on this puzzle never solve it. Does the mission then never end?

ehh. I guess they got me. 12 more days.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I might have to try running with my main's Lucina cosplay, complete with sword. At least for the skeleton part. Just for the hell of it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Never doing it again. The event does an incredibly bad job of explaining what is going on.

Everyone was rushing ahead, there was no time to read anything, the dialogue disappeared too fast, I had no faintest idea what was happening. It was incredibly frustrating.

Horribad, terrible, never going near it again. Never.
    edited October 2021
    Never doing it again. The event does an incredibly bad job of explaining what is going on.

Everyone was rushing ahead, there was no time to read anything, the dialogue disappeared too fast, I had no faintest idea what was happening. It was incredibly frustrating.

Horribad, terrible, never going near it again. Never.

I ran into that years ago with the raids in SWTOR. The other players in the raids had already done them multiple times so they escaped out of the cutscenes and ran off to the objectives. I had to skip watching the scenes and race along after them without being able to enjoy the story and scenery.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    It's a bit cheesy, but not too bad.
    In my opinion it suffers from being the follow-up for Operation Wolf which is a tough act to follow.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • illogicalcpt#5506 illogicalcpt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Captains Log, we just visited a castle run by skeletons which we seemingly had to kill for the 2nd time... we lit some candles and put some stuff on some shelves... The engineer is going to be painting 10 forward, think I might go and watch the paint dry... fun fun day, log ends...
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    • No need to rush ahead. Some things are best done at a walking pace.
    • No cutscenes. Nothing to skip or miss.
    • No endless waves.
    • Less visual spam. Pets and abilities that obscure things visually or with respect to threat aren't always a universal answer.
    • Helpful tips are repeated verbally and in text, even for those with chat closed.
    • Rewards thoughtful gameplay.
    • Rewards teamwork.

It almost as if players are being put back in the driver's seat for this one.
    edited October 2021
    protoneous wrote: »
    • No endless waves.
    • Less visual spam. Pets and abilities that obscure things visually or with respect to threat aren't always a universal answer.
    • Helpful tips are repeated verbally and in text, even for those with chat closed.
    • Rewards teamwork.

I'm guessing it would be a lot more fun with the right team, instead of a PUG of speedrunners, or as a solo patrol.

Unfortunately, a PUG is what I get.

It's too bad there's no "LFG - sightseeing" matchmaking, you get whatever puggies are waiting in the big queue.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Yeah I played it once... and I guess it will stay that way. I liked the last episode and tfo they brought out, not a fan of this one. Not even for Halloween.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    questerius wrote: »
    It's a bit cheesy, but not too bad.
    In my opinion it suffers from being the follow-up for Operation Wolf which is a tough act to follow.

On consoles, this TFO came out before Operation Wolf,
    protoneous wrote: »
    • No endless waves.
    • Rewards teamwork.

I agree for the most part but honestly I like cutscenes, they're pretty great for taking pictures, wish I could turn the camera around without my toon running or sitting all the time, I can't really F12 on Console.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That's 'Gort, Klaatu barada nikto'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    14 days for this event is way to much... for a novelty gag item? gonna skip on alt accounts.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    they need to change this so that you need to click all the candles in an area to make mobs vulerable.... skels not going by the candle light... so it taking forever and a day to clear one section.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    tigeraries wrote: »
    they need to change this so that you need to click all the candles in an area to make mobs vulerable.... skels not going by the candle light... so it taking forever and a day to clear one section.
    Nah, because for the first time in quite a while, the weapon melee strike button is finally useful because the skeletons can be immune to damage but not knocks and pulls.

For this TFO, every ability that does these is a blessing... except biotech turrets. These will likely softlock you for a while until their owner decides to backtrack and put one in a safe place to remove the progress-blocking one.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    It does mean you need either knockbacks or pulls.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    It does mean you need either knockbacks or pulls.

I'm fine with needing more diverse sets of utility skills and more group coordination. I'm less fine with the fact that the reward for this is a joke item, one that would actually be counter productive for this TFO, in fact...and generally kind of useless everywhere else.

This is one of those instances where I wish I was offered the choice of the 'new' event reward or some previous event award of the same type (ie a kit module). Or some other prize (like some lobi or whatever).

I also want a black cat non-combat pet instead of a plant monster thing.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    Its the boss I have a problem with. All I get is a massive white blob of effects unable to see anything. No idea what is going off. No way to work out what to do as I cannot see anything.
  • tharsonius42tharsonius42 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    For me it comes down to "It would be a quite fun Episode but it's complete garbage as a TFO". Also making it yet another 14 day event....one with a really really bad reward...yeah lot's of bad decissions with that one. Also...ground again..so much fun...that's why I play the game... why fly all the ships they try to sell you.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Nah, because for the first time in quite a while, the weapon melee strike button is finally useful because the skeletons can be immune to damage but not knocks and pulls.

For this TFO, every ability that does these is a blessing... except biotech turrets. These will likely softlock you for a while until their owner decides to backtrack and put one in a safe place to remove the progress-blocking one.

Funny you say that, I always use the melee strike, both Vulcans and Romulans can knock back opponents with their strength, as for my Rom Alt, he also has Zhat Vash venom, which adds a 15% chance to apply poison damage to melee strikes.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    Day two down and everyone seemed to know what they were doing, though the combat pets someone used were a hindrance more than a help with the skeletons, cutting the number of those in half would probably improve the flow... Or some way to summon them into the light rather than have them standing around. Luckily we had someone with some kind of 'pull' skill on the team that made things easier.

Regardless, 14 days is just too long. Either 7 days would keep it from getting too irritating, or allow us to run something else in its stead... Hearts and Minds or one of the Gre'thor missions perhaps.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    gonalius wrote: »
    Day two down and everyone seemed to know what they were doing, though the combat pets someone used were a hindrance more than a help with the skeletons, cutting the number of those in half would probably improve the flow... Or some way to summon them into the light rather than have them standing around. Luckily we had someone with some kind of 'pull' skill on the team that made things easier.

Regardless, 14 days is just too long. Either 7 days would keep it from getting too irritating, or allow us to run something else in its stead... Hearts and Minds or one of the Gre'thor missions perhaps.

Then don't do it. Seriously - FOMO doesn't really apply here; the reward is a novelty, and frankly rubbish, kit module and a bunch of spec points. Why bother playing content you'll find irritating for such mediocre rewards?
    Precisely why I'm not doing it. My roommate's enjoying it, and more power to him - I've got trick-or-treaters to clear from the streets of Millennium City anyway. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Have not tried it because of my ground TFO phobia. Ground single player mission: Yeah, gladly. Space TFOs? I can tolerate to grab some new shiny I convinced myself I want. Ground TFOs? Ew.... ewewew. EEEeeeeew.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    Second time around went better for me. Much less visual spam and I could actually see things. I like it and will play to end of event. Being a big TOS fan, I like it being based on the “Catspaw” episode and I want to get the Old One non-combat pet. The transmuter award does not appeal so much, but may come in handy as a funny joke in some combat situation playing with friends.

With the mix of opinions I see on this one, it looks like it all comes down to personal taste.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I kinda liked the change of pace, however as with any other non pure DPS queue, fun depends a lot on (a) other players understanding what they have to do instead of just let their usual DPS script run (script is meant as "biological" - they're doing what they're always doing) and (b) a common speed and the option for new players to actually read the instructions (the shorter waiting period compared to Wolf means there is no time for it on your first playthrough). I liked the spam of Wolf as well (albeit the minimal thinking it required was already too much for some players) but it is nice to for once have to do some minimal stuff outside of killing things.

What I don't get is the "Halloween is only US" complaints. While I hate the (small) number of trick or treaters over here where it just is not a tradition, why not take it just as a spooky TFO regardless of origins. It's not like we were fighting animated pumpkins or similar or anything else related to Halloween happened.

I also like how people complain about the reward before having tried it once in action. Yes, you can get a certain feel just by reading the description, but no, your feelings are not always right.

Only thing that bums me out is that I am not getting the pet. Are there conditions I am overlooking for that, is this a bug or just bad luck?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I

I also like how people complain about the reward before having tried it once in action. Yes, you can get a certain feel just by reading the description, but no, your feelings are not always right.
    Don't need to try it - we know what it does/how it works because the enemy NPCs use it on us during the TFO. All it does is give us that ability.

Though effect on NPCs may give completely different results. Not useful for PvP, agreed.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Surprised no one started this discussion - so I will.

Halloween seasonal event. What do you think? Nightmare or sweet dream?

They put so much effort into this. Sadly for me it was a nightmare. Not sure I can drag myself through 13 more times.

I have played it, and realized then what the Reward was...since it has no true bearing on my character concept. I have decline to go further with this event.

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
This discussion has been closed.