test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Fall of the Old Ones!

2»

Comments

• spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    That was amazingly NOT fun to suffer through.
    At least it has a reward I do not want, so no bad feeling for never ever doing that again.
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • oberlordbuddyoberlordbuddy Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Really great, I like the splitting of the team to give the members different things to solve it's great to have different matches, more content like this please 👍🏻
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Well, the TFO isn't too bad. Expected something a bit scarier, but it is a bit tongue in cheek.

The real drawback is that it follows one of the favorite TFO's (Operation Wolf) in an event.

Don't think i have heard anyone utter anything bad from Operation Wolf despite it being a ground mission in a game where most people prefer space.

Operation Wolf is a hard act to follow.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • haglahayhaglahay Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    The damage immunity thing is just too annoying for me. I've done it twice now and I don't think I'll do it again. Other than that the map is pretty cool.
  • serverlanserverlan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The Old Ones have returned, but the Devidians have seized control of their "magic!" Only you can stop them, Captains.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11499283

And so we reach the point where STO jumps the shark

VEZ97W.gif

• baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Please say the maint/patch tomorrow isnt to nerf this TFO in any way, its already easy enough.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    serverlan wrote: »
    The Old Ones have returned, but the Devidians have seized control of their "magic!" Only you can stop them, Captains.

VEZ97W.gif
    That's literally a follow-up to a season 2 episode of TOS and not even the one with the White Rabbit, or the one with the Jack the Ripper demon that can possess people.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    serverlan wrote: »

VEZ97W.gif
    That's literally a follow-up to a season 2 episode of TOS and not even the one with the White Rabbit, or the one with the Jack the Ripper demon that can possess people.

And at least it's not a TFO that makes us remotely control characters that have had their brains removed, or perform surgery puzzles to re-install those brains.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    As a concept, as storyboard art or something, the mission has novelty going for it. As an event grind, this is one of the more tedious and obnoxious ones I can recall, and I am genuinely surprised not to see that said more often. All it takes is a PUG team of spacebar-mashers who don't care about the candle lights making the skeletons vulnerable, shooting the skulls to make the witches vulnerable, finding the books to move to the right cases or sabotaging devidian devices while phased, and suddenly you are held hostage in something that will never end until one of them either gets lucky themselves or accidentally stops obstructing long enough for YOU to do everything YOURSELF. It's infuriating. Needs a true solo option.
    edited October 2021
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Needs a true solo option.
    Sabotage kit module as an Engineer.

Turns all of the skeleton part into a joke.

For the rest, well, not PUGing.

What I'm annoyed right now is the TFO now has the Crystalline Catastrophe's "go through the entire dialogue twice" bug at the beginning and the end.
    #TASforSTO
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    As a concept, as storyboard art or something, the mission has novelty going for it. As an event grind, this is one of the more tedious and obnoxious ones I can recall, and I am genuinely surprised not to see that said more often. All it takes is a PUG team of spacebar-mashers who don't care about the candle lights making the skeletons vulnerable, shooting the skulls to make the witches vulnerable, finding the books to move to the right cases or sabotaging devidian devices while phased, and suddenly you are held hostage in something that will never end until one of them either gets lucky themselves or accidentally stops obstructing long enough for YOU to do everything YOURSELF. It's infuriating. Needs a true solo option.

I think I'm gonna bail on this one. I dread queuing for it, am frustrated and impatient the entire time, and the reward at the end is some novelty item I'll maybe use once and then store in the bank. I feel bad for the talented people who work hard on things like this, but I don't need the aggravation.

I think I'm gonna bail on this one. I dread queuing for it, am frustrated and impatient the entire time, and the reward at the end is some novelty item I'll maybe use once and then store in the bank. I feel bad for the talented people who work hard on things like this, but I don't need the aggravation.

No need to feel bad for someone that made something that you do not enjoy.

This is okay for me. Not the greatest, but not the worst.

I mean, no malice involved but I think that episode quality has been going in the wrong direction for a while now. It feels that the emphasis has moved from our Captains to whichever voice actors they managed to wrangle up recently, and even beyond that the stories themselves are not exactly my cup of Vulcan spiced tea.

They get Anson Mount to voice Pike, for example? Okay. He can send out a distress signal to set up the mission, and shut up until it's time to tell me thank you when MY CAPTAIN rescues him/his ship. My captain and crew can fill in all the blanks along the way.
    Well, that would be my ideal, anyway. If it's good enough for Nimoy/Spock then it's good enough for anyone else they can get.

Of course, instead I would expect to have Captain Pike telling Admiral Me exactly what I have to do while I and my crew of allegedly qualified professionals would otherwise stand around dumbfounded and directionless.

I don't feel bad for the writers. To me, they wrote bad stuff.
    Someone else may like it, and good for them, but I don't.

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Slightly more polish than the usual STO fare but it relies on people paying attention to the audio clips that are easily drowned out by the cacophony of abilities and weapon fire or that they're not temporarily blinded by the volume of visual spam on screen. That would maybe work for a TFO that wasn't tied into the event burnout system but within the endless cycle of back to back to back eventing people will just want to get it over and done with, rush through and hope their retinas survive.

It's all well and good to have a boss that needs fought around a candle or a player getting phased to flip a switch but if they can't see then it's bad design made worse by the low ambient light levels that accentuate the glare from the massive balls of lighting or erupting lava.

Whoever threw in the bonnykin audio clip at the end clearly didn't grasp what made it work within its episode or read the brief for what was needed and copied it over hoping noone would think it out of place since we've clearly been fighting a psychotic hologram without realising it. But hey at least it wasn't "kurland here"
    Whoever threw in the bonnykin audio clip at the end clearly didn't grasp what made it work within its episode or read the brief for what was needed and copied it over hoping noone would think it out of place since we've clearly been fighting a psychotic hologram without realising it. But hey at least it wasn't "kurland here"
    The clips look out-of-place, indeed, but only if you know where it's from and since the Spectres arc got removed from the main storylines, fewer and fewer people would be aware of this. It's still a memorable part of the OG Halloween mission that was What Lies Beneath, so it'd make sense to give a nod.

Plus, in-universe, it could be that the Devidian Lord is a survivor of the Spectres arc and is trying to unnerve/taunt you with this specific encounter from your past.
    #TASforSTO
    edited October 2021

I mean, no malice involved but I think that episode quality has been going in the wrong direction for a while now. It feels that the emphasis has moved from our Captains to whichever voice actors they managed to wrangle up recently, and even beyond that the stories themselves are not exactly my cup of Vulcan spiced tea.

They get Anson Mount to voice Pike, for example? Okay. He can send out a distress signal to set up the mission, and shut up until it's time to tell me thank you when MY CAPTAIN rescues him/his ship. My captain and crew can fill in all the blanks along the way.
    Well, that would be my ideal, anyway. If it's good enough for Nimoy/Spock then it's good enough for anyone else they can get.

Of course, instead I would expect to have Captain Pike telling Admiral Me exactly what I have to do while I and my crew of allegedly qualified professionals would otherwise stand around dumbfounded and directionless.

I'm more neutral regarding the way VAs and their characters are handled in the game. It indeed does feel like you're taking a backseat for heroes of old to tell you what to do, and yes, the game doesn't handle it well too many times, especially since the devs started bringing VA and you can see the shift from the "you're the only badass solving the problem by yourself" era to "hold on, kiddo, you're good, but let the veteran talk and work their magic, they know better".

But I can see the reasoning behind: you're not the only badass around and you certainly don't have the experience of beloved veterans from older series. In-universe, you've been a captain for only 2 years.

It's not bad per se, but it's not handled that well because the gameplay progression doesn't match the way the characters progress.

Though, I admit I chuckled when, of all people around (me, Martok, L'Rell, J'Ula, Adet'pa), WAY more qualified than me regarding Klingon politics, I was the one to come up with how to gain allies correctly.

The one time when I give instructions to veterans is the one time that made the least sense.
    #TASforSTO

I'm more neutral regarding the way VAs and their characters are handled in the game. It indeed does feel like you're taking a backseat for heroes of old to tell you what to do, and yes, the game doesn't handle it well too many times, especially since the devs started bringing VA and you can see the shift from the "you're the only badass solving the problem by yourself" era to "hold on, kiddo, you're good, but let the veteran talk and work their magic, they know better".

But I can see the reasoning behind: you're not the only badass around and you certainly don't have the experience of beloved veterans from older series. In-universe, you've been a captain for only 2 years.

It's not bad per se, but it's not handled that well because the gameplay progression doesn't match the way the characters progress.

Though, I admit I chuckled when, of all people around (me, Martok, L'Rell, J'Ula, Adet'pa), WAY more qualified than me regarding Klingon politics, I was the one to come up with how to gain allies correctly.

The one time when I give instructions to veterans is the one time that made the least sense.

Yeah, but they didn't have to be here at all.

Do people play the game to hear the voice of some actor or to do things in the game?

I can watch whatever Star Trek series/episode/move if I want to see those other guys in action.
    That Starfleet thought so much of me to give me command of a ship fresh out of the academy (more-or-less depending upon whether you went TOS, Disco, or "normal") should tell the world that this is no ordinary person.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. It's pretty much how the first JJ Trek film played out and that was ridiculous too, moreso since Kirk wasn't even supposed to be there... Pike and McCoy would have been up on charges, Kirk would have been in a brig somewhere, and Spock's career would be pretty much a dead end.

But they set it up.
    We are supposed to be special.

Instead I have to listen to two of the characters from Disco talk about their upcoming wedding.

I have never even watched one episode of Disco. I do not care about their personal life. I wouldn't be interested in hearing Nimoy and Shatner talking about their plans for the day, and Kirk and Spock are a million times more important to a million times more people than second-string Disco people.

I get to see Lorca punching and shooting Klingons like a real action hero while I am firing off an occasional shot from a weapon I don't even own until the very end when I get to save him. How about reversing that? How about our Captain going all Rambo on Klingons and let Lorca shoot one in the back that was sneaking up on ME?

But this is all off-topic.

I was just saying that there was no need for anyone to "feel bad" about not liking this or any other content in the game.
    Do what you enjoy and don't do what you do not enjoy.

Which is why I am wondering if I will make it to the end because I rolled a new temporal agent (I had an old one, but long story and this is definitely not the place for that) and I just hit the Disco stuff.

I have just logged in to set up stuff (rep, admiralty, doffs) and do the dailies (endeavor, event) the past few days, but I may end up losing the interest in even logging in for that.

Disco isn't the first stuff I have trouble with, but I have zero connection to those characters and they are pushed. Hard. It really turns me off and I just can't muster the will to push through those missions right now. Not after getting through the progressively worse stories leading up to this point.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    I LOVE this mission! 1) It's TOS, and 2) it requires a bit of attention, minor puzzle-solving, and strategy. Spacebar spam doesn't cut it. LOTS more content like this, please!

I have a couple of minor suggestions, though.

1) If this was an episode, instead of a TFO (so you could solo enjoy it at leisure), it would be even better.

2) There ought to be an accolade for lighting all the candles, and another for finding all the cats.

3) It would also be great if the wand reward was a device, not a kit module. One of my captains has a BOFF for whom this would be PERFECT, but since BOFFs can't use kit modules...

Despite those quibbles, I think this is the most fun I've had with a TFO in ages!

To be fair, this has been a problem with STO for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. In Legacy of Romulus, voiced Tovan Khev did all the talking, and our captains basically just pointed to him and said "What he said."

In Sphere of Influence, Ambassador Worf talks to everyone and takes credit for everything. When the cave collapses, our character (an ADMIRAL) at that point, looks at the Ambassador and says, "What now?" Verbatim. Really? Command and Flag officers are trained to lead, particularly in a crisis, not to stand around and look at a civilian observer and ask for orders. Worf puts you in that position throughout the entire episode, giving you orders and then on top of that, claiming he did the work himself!

Worf: "Go scan those doors."

You: [Scan doors].

Worf: "My scans show..."

Jerk.

COMMANDER Sarish Mena does this repeatedly to ADMIRAL Player Character throughout the Bajor/Cardassian/DS9 stuff. (that is, whenever Kurland is not doing it himself). To the point where, as her superior, I'd have had her court martialled for habitual insubordination, and busted her back to ensign on permanent latrine duty.

When it comes to any mission involving Sela, I just turn the sound off. If I can't shoot her on sight (as I would, especially as a Romulan), I can at least mute her so I don't have to listen to her incessant whining.

For a counter-example showing that the writers are capable of handling PC in charge with VO tagging along, see "A Step Between Stars", where Tuvok defers to your leadership, and treats you courteously and respectfully. And this is when he has seniority (having attained Admiral rank before you).

So the writers CAN do better, but they usually choose not to. Just show off the expensive VA, and shove the player off to the side.
    Disco isn't the first stuff I have trouble with, but I have zero connection to those characters and they are pushed. Hard. It really turns me off and I just can't muster the will to push through those missions right now. Not after getting through the progressively worse stories leading up to this point.

You can skip missions, IIRC. I have 11 characters. Only one (the KDF event recruit) did the Disco missions, simply to unlock all the account-wide rewards on his event widget. None of my other characters will EVER do those episodes, because I feel about Disco just as you do.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Well, the TFO isn't too bad. Expected something a bit scarier, but it is a bit tongue in cheek.

The real drawback is that it follows one of the favorite TFO's (Operation Wolf) in an event.

Don't think i have heard anyone utter anything bad from Operation Wolf despite it being a ground mission in a game where most people prefer space.

Operation Wolf is a hard act to follow.

Operation Wolf seemed to be little more than standing in one spot while spamming everything possible against waves of timer based enemies. Not much thought was required aside from where to stand. It might have seemed exciting the first few times but the illusion was short lived for me at least.

The Halloween event requires some restraint and a bit of thought and this need for more careful game play seems to present a bit of a challenge initially.

A lot of teams get the job done quite nicely now.
This discussion has been closed.