test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do TPTB being Disco hate everything Star Trek?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I just saw a photo of a Disco Ferengi...seriously?

Why would they do that? I thought Disco did to Klingons was bad, but this? Seriously?

I don't have words...I also don't have a means of posting the photo here, but Google it and prepare to be deeply, deeply unhappy.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    well they TRIBBLEd up andorians, so....
    Spock.jpg

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021

OK, I was expecting much worse after the Klingon, Caitian, Tellarite and Gorn murders from the Disco and Kelvin Timeline designers.

Once again, too much spiky stuff, but as ears, that is more acceptable.

What isn't acceptable though, is once again, removing the unique features of the past designs for more conventional ones, here the much narrower nose and the lack of the characteristic "eyebrow line" connecting the ears.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User

Some people actually like the Discovery Andorian designs to the point that some people want to make one when Age of Discovery came out, personally I wouldn't make one since I believe in Vulcan superiority, on the other hand Discovery however did fix Tellarites, ENT Tellarites are ugly AF, at least they resemble pigs or in Discovery case boars again, I can't imagine anyone playing with 25th century tellarite, I prefer their TOS ascetics over their ENT ones any day.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    You're seeing a picture of someone you're assuming is Ferengi.

Remember LEGO Genetics - could be part-Ferengi.

Remember Trek's version of parallel evolution - could be another species that happens to resemble Ferengi.

Could even be a Ferengi who was subjected to genetic manipulation for some reason (probably related to increasing profit). Remember that Humans were the only species in Trek that outright forbade genetic manipulation.

But of course it's more fun to jump to conclusions and get mad about them - outrage triggers better neurotransmitter flows than calm reason.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »

Remember Trek's version of parallel evolution - could be another species that happens to resemble Ferengi.

Could even be a Ferengi who was subjected to genetic manipulation for some reason (probably related to increasing profit). Remember that Humans were the only species in Trek that outright forbade genetic manipulation.

But of course it's more fun to jump to conclusions and get mad about them - outrage triggers better neurotransmitter flows than calm reason.

Could be a hybrid, maybe they're part Reman, we don't know what happened to the Remans after Hobus canonically, seeing as STO is soft canon and not actual canon, maybe Remans intermingled with the Ferengi all these years.
  • mikecobalt#1974 mikecobalt Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    They're changing everything "Star Trek". Like the other title it's a popular name somebody else Earned fame for and now a new set feels compelled to turn into something they themselves want. "Homage" is a form of "Respect" for which todays media has none .
    jonsills wrote: »

Literally:
    Our first new alien update for #StarTrekDiscovery's fourth season: the Ferengi!

The revised design includes slight points to those big ears, echoing back to Andy Probert's original 1987-era concept designs for the species.
    #TASforSTO
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    if it is a ferengi, I like this new design. the more the aliens look like aliens, the more I like them. :p
    Even the disco klingons are interesting (not the first ones), but i prefer the kelvin klink more badass in my opinion.
    https://gizmodo.com/the-beautiful-klingon-designs-jj-abrams-rejected-for-st-1216785197

sadly, most of these designs were not used.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I have no big issue with the Ferengi. It looks like an elderly one, a bit like Zek did in DS9. And it's a future Ferengi with a millenium of development in between. It could work.

However, so far any interesting aliens in DSC have been background actors at best, with the exception of Saru we mostly see humans. It's funny, all that big budget and we still don't give the more complex costumes a lot of screen time. So I guess this Ferengi won't do much but stand around either xD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I have no big issue with the Ferengi. It looks like an elderly one, a bit like Zek did in DS9. And it's a future Ferengi with a millenium of development in between. It could work.

However, so far any interesting aliens in DSC have been background actors at best, with the exception of Saru we mostly see humans. It's funny, all that big budget and we still don't give the more complex costumes a lot of screen time. So I guess this Ferengi won't do much but stand around either xD

Well, budget is one thing of importance. Actor comfort is another thing. If I'm not mistaken, quite a few actors have had bad experiences with ear prostethics, Xindi-reptilian make-up and so on.

So that may be a reason why humans are still preferred. Even the biggest budget won't solve the fact that some of these customes can come with great unease and additional work (and lots of time spent in a chair by the actor for every episode).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Some people actually like the Discovery Andorian designs to the point that some people want to make one when Age of Discovery came out, personally I wouldn't make one since I believe in Vulcan superiority, on the other hand Discovery however did fix Tellarites, ENT Tellarites are ugly AF, at least they resemble pigs or in Discovery case boars again, I can't imagine anyone playing with 25th century tellarite, I prefer their TOS ascetics over their ENT ones any day.

I actually liked the ENT Tellarites. The TOS ones seem way too cartoonish to me.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    That change from cartoonish to more realistic also seems to be the case with the Ferengi here. The original design was ok, the new ones don't depart too much from the general idea and features of a Ferengi. The only thing that could've been done better in that regard is not changing the foreheads so much.

Also: some features may be the result of this actor just having a different face than the other Ferengi actors. That could easily explain the extra wrinkles on the forehead or the additional lines beside the nose. And as others have mentioned, maybe those things were added on purpose to reflect this particular Ferengi being older.

Yeah the aliens seem to be sidelined a lot, I found both Saru the Kelpian and Linus the Saurian to be great characters, personally I perfer the alien characters over the human ones, simply because they're more interesting, Hell Ryn the Andorian was the best part of season 3 and I felt betrayed when they killed him off, I was so invested in that character that I was hoping that he would join starfleet and become a regular member of the cast.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »

Why would they do that? I thought Disco did to Klingons was bad, but this? Seriously?

I don't have words...I also don't have a means of posting the photo here, but Google it and prepare to be deeply, deeply unhappy.

It's all about Kurtzman turning Star Trek into what HE thinks it should be, AKA bloody, violent, hate filled, suffering, and dystopian...because he doesn't have the talent to create anything positive and meaningful.

It's either that or the 25% different that people keep claiming is rumor is true...

So which is it? Either he doesn't respect Star Trek so he changes EVERYTHING or he is obligated to change everything...
    I'll never forgive the DSC team for the opportunity they had with the original design for Ripper where he was a Starfleet officer and Stamets' superior, and even wore a custom Starfleet uniform, with a sash for his badge.
    It could have been so great to finally have a completely alien character being more than a just a one-time sighting and part of the main crew, especially with a modern budget.

But no, they had to waste it by redesigning all Klingon stuff with impractically complex designs.
    #TASforSTO
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    You know... it could also be as simple as a different ethic group, like how they described the difference between the two Romulans staying at Picard's vinyard. The ones with the more TNG style forehead ridge was a "northerner", which implies that the TOS style Romulans are more from the southern regions. Could be the same thing here, with that Ferengi being from a different region.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I actually don't have nearly as much issue with that as I do the Klingons - though I will echo the first post and point out they look better with the full brow-ear ridge.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I actually don't have nearly as much issue with that as I do the Klingons - though I will echo the first post and point out they look better with the full brow-ear ridge.​​

I believe the Disco-Klingons were improved when they gave them hair. Just my two strips of latinum.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Moonves did not like science fiction in general and hated Star Trek (and particularly loathed TOS) and picked the top people for for the project accordingly. It started out as a Star Trek for people who have only contempt for TOS and are not particularly wild about the rest.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Everything after 2009, is 25.5% different.

So, the Fed Pres. is a three way mix. Interesting because the Cards and Bajors with some Denebian (but looking more Human than anything else) are genetic compatible in the Trek verse, and there were maybe one or two characters shown in DS9.

But the Disco one only shows soft outlines, nothing prominent...especially around the neck. But it was the budget...yes the budget that makes that appearance looks - - - - -.
    Post edited by truewarper on
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
    Moonves did not like science fiction in general and hated Star Trek (and particularly loathed TOS) and picked the top people for for the project accordingly. It started out as a Star Trek for people who have only contempt for TOS and are not particularly wild about the rest.

And his legacy continues...unwantedly.

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

It's all about Kurtzman turning Star Trek into what HE thinks it should be, AKA bloody, violent, hate filled, suffering, and dystopian...because he doesn't have the talent to create anything positive and meaningful.

It's either that or the 25% different that people keep claiming is rumor is true...

So which is it? Either he doesn't respect Star Trek so he changes EVERYTHING or he is obligated to change everything...

And Moonves.

This is one of many reasons I love Lower Decks: Positive, optimistic, and likable characters.

And NO "25% difference" or "Visual reboot" smeg. Lower Decks shown, for example, TOS as it was shown prior to recent years, as well.

McMann is a FAN, and it shows.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    what's this...another disco hate thread?

xzDx6qE.png​​
    gQytlm7.jpg
    lianthelia wrote: »

And Moonves.

This is one of many reasons I love Lower Decks: Positive, optimistic, and likable characters.

And NO "25% difference" or "Visual reboot" smeg. Lower Decks shown, for example, TOS as it was shown prior to recent years, as well.

McMann is a FAN, and it shows.

I believe that venue is under different terms in the contract. Even though, they have a connection to SH & AK, they can have a separate contract all together. And being a fan, does HELP!! B)

• lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    The "updated" Ferengi looks like one of its parents is a Gringott's goblin from Harry Potter. They keep messing with well established species, and it's dumb. It's the 32nd century, introduce some new species if you hate the existing ones so much. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't retcon Trill to grow a second head when they're joined. Would make about as much sense as any of these other changes they've made.
    what's this...another disco hate thread?

xzDx6qE.png​​

Yep.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Cosmetic changes = hate of IP

Right. I like how logical this kind of argumentation is.

Did people freak out like this in 1979 when klingons looked different in TMP?
    Cosmetic changes = hate of IP

Right. I like how logical this kind of argumentation is.

Did people freak out like this in 1979 when klingons looked different in TMP?
    Yes, they did. And again with Worf in TNG.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    what's this...another disco hate thread?​​

Exactly what it is. Every once in a while you get the same group that has decided that they set the standards for what is and what isn't 'trek,' and comes here to tell everyone who is and isn't a true fan and who's destroying the franchise.

Just let them run off at the mouth and spew their useless garbage if it makes them feel better.. or even if it doesn't.. no one cares either way. The rest of us will enjoy the new content without a care in the world and in the meantime we have threads like this to give us a laugh.

If you don't take them seriously (you shouldn't) they're actually pretty amusing.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited October 2021
    Personally I would like a Star Trek show where we finally get a Vulcan in command, sick of them being humanity's sidekicks, the Federation wouldn't exist without Vulcans, Phasers were made by Vulcans, despite being less advanced than their tech at the time, and starfleet still uses their classification when it comes to planets, the UFP itself was a Vulcan creation unfortunately the other species they tried to recruit didn't like them very much, until humanity came along and made it work.
This discussion has been closed.