test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In need of some advice

techgamer23techgamer23 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2022 in The Shipyard
so I've been working on a Tank-Dps Ship, so I'm in need of some advice on my ship any help will be much appreciated,

Here's a link to my build ATM : https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/2c9b49392519201e9e8fd667e5101a4e
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Welcome to the forum. Here's some general advice -

Skill Tree - Tactical Template.

This skill tree has been posted here quite often and I use it myself (or a close variant) on most of my characters.

Some highlights are 2 points into the Lieutenant engineering skill EPS Flow necessary for power flow to your directed energy weapons as well as 3 points into long range targeting sensors (Captain - science) again for your weapons to avoid drop off over distance. Both EPS and LRT being maxed out are pretty much must haves for directed energy weapon builds. Four points into ship's power (2 captain, 2 admiral) are enough to get some decent power levels. A point each into hull plating, shield regeneration, and shield hardness usually suffice.

If torpedos are part of your build move 2 points from defensive maneuvering and 1 point from targeting into the lieutenant torpedo skill.

27 points into tactical for damage and providing all three unlocks for the tactical ultimate clickey that boosts you as well as the rest of your team when attacking a larger target is a very handy and powerful thing.

Everything else is very close to what's needed for well balanced damage and survivability so I think this tree or something very close to it would get you off to a good start.

I think what's happened is using too many skill points in the lower levels of your tree to try and have a very sturdy build. I've done the same thing many times. It's not necessarily intuitive.

Weapons - I'd try and pick one energy type (i.e. phaser, anti-proton, disruptor etc.) and one type of energy weapon either all beams or all cannons front / turrets rear, then perhaps choose a single torpedo for maximum effect.

There's not enough Bridge Officer Ability slots to buff up all types of weapons (hence picking beams or cannons) so the idea is to keep the majority of your weapons buffed as often as possible. This can be done by doubling up related bridge officer skills until active duty doffs, space traits, or other means of Cool-Down are sorted out.

Something like tactical team 1 (shield auto-distribution) and Attack Pattern Beta 1 (debuff the enemy's damage resistance) in combination with a beam or cannon skill would be a good start using using two copies of each until it's possible to reduce the cool downs of these skills to the point where one copy can be used. Toggling threatening stance to take advantage of Attrition Warfare in the secondary specialization of Strategist could help.

Emergency power to weapons (2 copies) and ships power levels set to "attack" would provide ample power to your weapons.

Ships consoles - one armor console is more than enough. There are diminishing returns here and the bridge officer ability Aux2SIF that you're using will increase your damage resistance by quite a bit. With the excess armor consoles out of the way there's more room for things that increase the damage of your chosen energy type or provide other benefits.

Your skill tree, weapon selection, consoles, bridge officer abilities and cool-downs are all things that can be fine tuned one step at a time.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I would say you've probably overdone it on the armor consoles, and as you're using torpedoes and cannons your turn rate is totally neglected. If you can invest in a conductive RCS console, it can come with its own armor mod, but I highly suggest more than just that.

Your skill tree also shows some weaknesses as you have no points in damage control, and no points in impulse expertise with torpedos and your cannons as big parts of your weaponry. Keep in mind that the third skill in a skill branch gives far, far less return than the first skill, in most cases, so you have to consider the opportunity cost of spending a third skill point on a branch versus 1 in something else.

You probably want secondary pilot specialization at least as a way to help the turn rate.

Your ship traits are also odd, but its always hard to suggest when that has a huge variance from person to person. What I can say definitively is that the best defense is useless to you as you aren't even using attack patterns. You also lack a tac team power. My advice is dump the cannons and replace with beams. Dump the cannon skills and get APB, tac team, and something else, maybe APD.

I would also get rid of heisenberg amplifier, put engineering team there, replace your ET 2 with aux to SIF 1, and then finally replace Aux to SIF 2 with emergency power to weapons 3. Entropic cascade is probably also better as something else. I'd use chronometric inversion field or maybe causal reversion if you really need a heal.