test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Fall of the Old Ones!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
The Old Ones have returned, but the Devidians have seized control of their "magic!" Only you can stop them, Captains.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11499283
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    This unfortunate cat creates a Bad Luck Aura around its allies that disables Shields and most Powers when too close. The transformation is so terrifying that most of the cat's former allies will flee at the sight!

So...the aura is 100% worthless.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Sounds fun. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    I look forward to playing this, but please don't forget about "Hearts and Minds" either.
    But can you manage to repeat the downright creepiness of "What Lies Beneath"...?
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    This unfortunate cat creates a Bad Luck Aura around its allies that disables Shields and most Powers when too close. The transformation is so terrifying that most of the cat's former allies will flee at the sight!

So... no it's not.

While enemies are within the aura, shields and most powers are disabled, rendering them vulnerable before they run away in fear of the black cat. Running away means they wouldn't do any action during that time to get away. Also, with enemies avoiding entering the aura means that enemies with nasty melee attacks wouldn't try to close in attack.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User

So... no it's not.

While enemies are within the aura, shields and most powers are disabled, rendering them vulnerable before they run away in fear of the black cat. Running away means they wouldn't do any action during that time to get away. Also, with enemies avoiding entering the aura means that enemies with nasty melee attacks wouldn't try to close in attack.

this...

btw - anyone have good pics of "old ones?"

There are images from the show, if that is what you mean.

Maybe if this went on test someone might have some from the game, but if not then we'll have to make do with what they give us until it goes live.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    I thought the Old Ones were the beings that created Ruk, and his type of androids, and Ruck destroyed them
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    nixie50 wrote: »
    I thought the Old Ones were the beings that created Ruk, and his type of androids, and Ruck destroyed them

When they said "Old Ones" I thought "Great Old Ones" and my mind immediately went to the Kelvans, who in their true form sound Lovecraftian to me.

I guess a lot of beings can claim the title though. I mean, any ancient race, especially one that has died out, is close to dying out, or is widely believed to have died out, may be dimly remembered from the ancient history of other races and called "old ones" because they never knew or don't remember their actual names.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    I see the Devidians being called "Decisions" in the line got fixed and the replies mentioning the mistake deleted.

Good for the first part. But the announcement for consoles still has the mistake.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Witchcraft coming to STO. Not sure if i should laugh or cry.

Not sure if the aura is going to be useful since it disperses foes while it is usually more convenient to concentrate foes.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Of course, there's one more episode with a race referred to as "The Old Ones" in TOS from S1 - "What Are Little Girls Made Of":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7VkjA8IQxE&ab_channel=markae0
    ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I'm looking forward to this, not sure of its staying power, but at least initially this looks like fun.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I appreciate the effort that has gone into this, but it's not for me. Not because of the magic* theme of it, but because the reward doesn't interest me at all and frankly, I'm burned out. I will try to run it once, but it'd have the be the greatest piece of content ever for me to endure yet another 14 day event run after the 20 day Mirror stuff. And actually, this starts the day before the Mirror event ends, if I'm reading the dates correctly.

I hope that Hearts and Minds isn't getting removed as it's a decent little 1-off mission to run every Halloween/Friday the 13th. Also because the game has already had so much content removed already.

*Arthur C. Clarke — 'Magic's just science that we don't understand yet.'
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    Hopefully this will be just the Halloween event while Hearts and Minds can remain a Friday the 13th event.

Not that I expect that my Captain will use the wand, but Catspaw, to me, gave fans of the original series a practical demonstration of Clarke's famous quote more than actually bringing magic into Trek.

This stuff seems so inoffensive to me when compared to actually going to Klingon Hell to rescue the soul of an ancient Klingon leader in order to put it into a cloned body.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Redacted
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Hopefully this will be just the Halloween event while Hearts and Minds can remain a Friday the 13th event.

Not that I expect that my Captain will use the wand, but Catspaw, to me, gave fans of the original series a practical demonstration of Clarke's famous quote more than actually bringing magic into Trek.

This stuff seems so inoffensive to me when compared to actually going to Klingon Hell to rescue the soul of an ancient Klingon leader in order to put it into a cloned body.

I figure that Grethor is probably similar to Unimatrix Zero, a sort of psionic virtual realm that Klingon katras maintain after the death of the physical body, shaped by Klingon religious beliefs.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User

I figure that Grethor is probably similar to Unimatrix Zero, a sort of psionic virtual realm that Klingon katras maintain after the death of the physical body, shaped by Klingon religious beliefs.

Probably due to dominion tinkering in the past. Perhaps a precursor to the memory transfer when a vorta dies.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • sinistercainsinistercain Member Posts: 3 Arc User

Imagine using this on the rear enemy and the rest running towards you with no shields or abilities.... yeah probably useless....
    With all the 21 day events comming literally back to back the day before the last one ends hasnt been fun at all in over a year, The events need to be spaced to allow a breather between events otherwise i am already burned out as of January and in desperate need of a break i aparently still am not getting. Unfortunate that the powers to be dont recognize the fact that everyone cant grind daily without consequences to thier stress,

So don't.

For one, you are not required to complete every day in order to get the "headline" reward. Sure, you can earn some bonus dilithium on the extra days, but if you just want the Gagarin or the Wand or whatever, it doesn't require a full-event commitment.
    I have the Gagarin. I may or may not participate further in the event depending upon my mood, health, schedule, whatever.

That means that you can have a break between events, or take some days during the event, whichever works best for you.

Event buyouts are also a thing. Even if you really want the main rewards, if you would rather have some time off from the grind then come in one day, buy out the event, and not worry about it again.

Also, there is, of course, the option to sit one out. No one makes anyone play.
    Here? This? The wand doesn't matter to me. I seriously doubt that I would ever use it. Maybe if it was a device I would give it to a BOFF to use, but as a kit module? Just don't see it happening.
    A non-combat pet is not important to the game, but this one holds some odd appeal to me. Maybe this will be the one that I actually call out and have follow me around on the regular, so if I try to complete this event it's because I decided to go for the pet.

And, finally, this is supposed to be the start of a regular event, with more added next year. So skip this year. It will be back next year and then some. What's the worst thing that can happen?

The game is supposed to be fun. This stuff is a nice bonus. If at any time you feel that you must log in for something, a break may be in order.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    Almost every event we've had, has had a 1 or 2-week Red Alert between it.
    I view these as my opportunity to take an optional break.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • toxictallbottoxictallbot Member Posts: 1 New User
    lets talk about the zen price there is a ship package the cost 60,000 zen that would be $600 USD come on i don't have millions of dollors to spend and i'm sure most of you don't either. We need the price to come down a lot for zen more people would buy zen in turn arc can make more money.
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Fan freaking tastic! This is by far my favorite tfo to date! I loved every second of this TFO! I only wish there had been more! What a amazing job! Your team has out done themselves this time!
    1kltX02.jpg
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Urg... not a mission but a f*ing TFO again; worse apparently a ground one -.-

Have not done it yet but if its like every other TFO its rushing to get a quick success for everyone involved and not taking time to pay attention to the story/setting/atmosphere details because that will delay everyone else.
    edited October 2021
    lets talk about the zen price...

Let's not, since that has nothing to do with this.

Meanwhile, back to this TFO and the "Old Ones", having just re-watched Catspaw it is just a quick mention, but also appears to bring up an issue here...

Korob: "We have a duty to the Old Ones".

Sylvia: "What do they know....".

So this, to me, says that Korob and Sylvia are not actually Old Ones, but are instead serving as scouts of some sort for the Old Ones.

I suppose that maybe from some perspectives "Old Ones" means not just the actual Old Ones but also whatever allied/subservient races there may be, but to identify whatever Korob and Sylvia were as actual Old Ones seems like an error to me.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    lets talk about the zen price...

Let's not, since that has nothing to do with this.

Meanwhile, back to this TFO and the "Old Ones", having just re-watched Catspaw it is just a quick mention, but also appears to bring up an issue here...

Korob: "We have a duty to the Old Ones".

Sylvia: "What do they know....".

So this, to me, says that Korob and Sylvia are not actually Old Ones, but are instead serving as scouts of some sort for the Old Ones.

I suppose that maybe from some perspectives "Old Ones" means not just the actual Old Ones but also whatever allied/subservient races there may be, but to identify whatever Korob and Sylvia were as actual Old Ones seems like an error to me.
    Way too vague. That's a typical possible exchange when you have some contempt for your own folks for whatever reason, which scouts/explorers would likely have after interacting with other species and starting to take some of their traits/mindset.

Though in that case, it's because Sylvia grew sadistic through her human form and went too far for Korob, and likely the rest of the Old Ones' standards.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • granitia4380#7320 granitia4380 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    This mission is a daem fine one to play. It is like a Neverwinter-STO Crossover TFO, in a way.
This discussion has been closed.