test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Fall of the Old Ones (Halloween Event)

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    qultuq wrote: »
    Devidians are back?! Maybe it means we can get the Spectres arc back. It always bothers me though that STO uses the British spelling “spectre” rather than the American “specter.” Maybe it is supposed to call to mind the Shatner novel “Spectre,” or the TOS “Spectre of a Gun.”

The Spectres Arc was never removed from the game. It is still available to play under your Faction contact in the Incoming Hails tab in your journal.

Spectres is all but removed however, a mid-level episode taken from the episodes tab and dumped into an obscure endgame-only tab that quite often does not work because the requirements are not always cleared the way they should be.

And since it gives mid-game rewards for something that can only be played at endgame is not often played anymore, especially by newer players who see the extremely underwhelming rewards for the first episode of the arc and dont bother (and since anything in that tab is unskippable and invisible until the preceding mission is done they don't even know about the TOS style phasers later on in the arc if they are doing an AoY captain and want to keep their ship TOS as much as possible).
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    it gives mid-game rewards for something that can only be played at endgame

While that may be true, it IS also currently the only way to get upgradable versions of the TOS phaser pistol that use the canonical color scheme of blue+black. Every other TOS pistol in the game uses the supposed C-Store exclusive black+white color scheme even though the inventory icon has the canon colors, I think it's probably a bug but it's been this way for years now.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    the new mission seems really funny :
    https://player.twitch.tv/?autoplay=false&channel=crypticstudios&parent=forum.arcgames.com

but this video proves that the skill visuals are too agressive.

there is also a preview of the new 32c ship
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    Halloween is not an event. It's like Friday 13 and only celebrated in the US.

Nope. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

"Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of "All Hallows' evening"),[5] also known as Allhalloween,[6] All Hallows' Eve,[7] or All Saints' Eve,[8] is a celebration observed in many countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. ... The word Halloween or Hallowe'en dates to about 1745[32] and is of Christian origin."
    Wikipedia is not a source...anyone can write there to prove anything and Halloween is NOT a Christian, muslim nor jewish holiday if you brought religion here. I will leave it at that since mods will go crazy with the innuendos here and respectfully will refrain from further offering free education :*

It's celebrated here in Canada plus grew up with a Christian foster family and they celebrated halloween ever year, so your argument is invalid, BTW Christianity isn't just one thing like Vulcan's logic, it's one of the most divided religions out there, sorry if I got off topic I just had to educate some people, plus Cthulhu is pretty cool, HP Lovecraft knew how to create awesome monsters.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Halloween is not an event. It's like Friday 13 and only celebrated in the US. Whoever thought if this one? Are we celebrating the Eastern Bunny next?

HARD pass

uh wrong. it may be called something different in some places but Halloween is celebrated almost more widely than Christmas, if not more widely, because it's celebrated in places like China where Christmas ir pretty much against the law

https://heymondo.com/blog/halloween-traditions-around-world/
    Spock.jpg

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Halloween is not an event. It's like Friday 13 and only celebrated in the US. Whoever thought if this one? Are we celebrating the Eastern Bunny next?

HARD pass

Yes, Halloween, like Friday the 13th can appear multiple times over the year.... *facepalm*

I didn't know it's only celebrated in the U.S.

Not being from the U.S., I wouldn't possibly know.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    it gives mid-game rewards for something that can only be played at endgame

While that may be true, it IS also currently the only way to get upgradable versions of the TOS phaser pistol that use the canonical color scheme of blue+black. Every other TOS pistol in the game uses the supposed C-Store exclusive black+white color scheme even though the inventory icon has the canon colors, I think it's probably a bug but it's been this way for years now.

Actually, white handle phaser pistols ARE canon, from TOS, early first season.
    hopkaii wrote: »
    Nice Lovecraft vibe! hope the litte old one pet looks like Cthulhu,
    487383-20;1614278738v.jpg

Sweet. I want one! Perhaps named Cutethulhu... ;)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Can we please stop Chibi-ing existential horrors so far outside human understanding that the slightest sight drives even the strongest minds instantly insane?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Can we please stop Chibi-ing existential horrors so far outside human understanding that the slightest sight drives even the strongest minds instantly insane?​​
    I dunno - I think that's considerably more horrifying than a giant guy with a squid for a head... :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png

It's either chibis or rule 34 when comes down to Cthulhu, people like tentacles, personally can't wait to do this event as Count Romula.
    Rule 34's already been done - for decades now.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Rule 34's already been done - for decades now.​​
    Decades? More like millenia when you look at sculptures, drawings, etc. of various old civilizations they don't show you in History books.

Heck, you could argue Zeus (or even Gilgamesh) is the proto R34 self-insert. XD
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    Rule 34 of Cthulhu, not R34 in general.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Rule 34 of Cthulhu, not R34 in general.​​
    That's what his followers want you to believe, that and convincing you he doesn't exist. :P
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited October 2021

amber.jpg
    YOU FOOL! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! I DESPISE BEING ADORABLE!

;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

amber.jpg
    YOU FOOL! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! I DESPISE BEING ADORABLE!

;)

Dammit, Jim, now I want one of THOSE, too! ;)

Plus, I'll probably have to publish my Cthulhu Mythos filksong book and my Cthulhu comic operetta libretto someday*.

*In the latter case, I'll have to FIND it again first. I wrote it in college, and that was 40 years ago. Yog-Sothoth only knows where it is now!
  • georgedpgeorgedp Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    It's a nice TFO, very good work guys thank you
    BUT it's too long for repeating it for the next 14 days..!
    plus being a TFO and not a single player mission, you miss the story cause as usual people rush through it..even from the first runs..
    it would be better if we'd get it for specific days like Hearts and Minds and had a short version for long running events, repeating the same stuff over and over is never fun ...especially if those 'stuff' take too long to complete..
    otherwise we'd have fun working :p
    Purrsonally I like the wand module that turns people into cats, purrfect for either a Caitian or Ferasan captain, this one has wares if you have coin.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    jonsills wrote: »
    I vote for CINCO de MAYO. At least it is a non US holiday and precedent in STO
    In fact, Cinco de Mayo isn't really a holiday anywhere except the US, where we'll take just about any opportunity to devote a day to eating to excess and drinking specialty alcohol. It commemorates a minor, insignificant victory of interest primarily to historians and beer companies, and makes about as much sense as starting a PNW tradition of annual celebration of the end of the Pig War.

La Batalla de Puebla (5 de Mayo), is a minor holiday in Mexico, not as big as in the US, that is used as a conmemoration of Mexican culture. but it IS a holiday there anyway... :wink:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited October 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I do quite like the atmosphere of the map:
    XQUddyY.jpg

nice batgirl or catwoman
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I had the Zen to, so I bought out the Event...but I want the Witch's outfit, not the wand.

I don't really see the point in the wand. I mean, I'm glad that I can't kill a cat, but I also don't see the point in doing it. I've not tried using it against say a Voth Mech, but it's just delaying the inevitable.

Ooh, the costume though...that would be fun. So actually would a black cat companion, not the ancient one.

I had absolutely no idea where to go when I was out of phase against the Boss, but I did love Borgifying the skeletons.

This is a fun game that had a LOT of thought put into it and it's going to be a crying shame to retire it so quickly. This is the sort of thing that should be around all year around.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    What determines where we go when the party is split to get to the witches' coven? I've done it three times, every time I've gone to the cauldron to put stuff in. Is it career choice?
    georgedp wrote: »
    It's a nice TFO, very good work guys thank you
    BUT it's too long for repeating it for the next 14 days..!

Every event has this problem. Even if there's 4 things to do, it's a godawful slog by the end of the event.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Just so everyone here knows it can be soloed. Just wish I knew how to beat the witches a little faster.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    alonar wrote: »
    Just so everyone here knows it can be soloed. Just wish I knew how to beat the witches a little faster.

Those witches are a pita. Somebody posted a video of a solo run in another thread in which the player was a tactical officer. They switched over to a stealth module before entering the room with the witches and used an agony field generator. The stealth from Ambush seemed to help in other parts of the run.

This doesn't help my engineer lol. Flare mortar, Phasic Shroud... going to have to try different things including the afg and some careful targeting. It seems as soon a witch takes fire with the skull up you end up with four legs and a shiny black coat. This is the main obstacle for me on a solo run. I have been switching kit modules for the final battle but this part is eluding me so far in the couple runs done solo this evening.

Meow? (the rest of it is a lot of fun)

Video link - https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZIuce9z95p4
    edited October 2021
    The black cat shouldn't be anywhere near as much of a pain as the constant barrage of 'spells'...but that can be dealt with, at least until it dies, by Holographic Deceiver - since it has a constant hard taunt effect with a fairly decent range.

Come to think of it, so does Crystalline Spike - though given that was an event reward, not everyone will have it, whereas the above is a very cheap kit mod from the Privateer lockbox.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    My solution to the witches when I solo ran it was to use the red angel suit, cant be catified when its active, problem is it has a long cooldown and it was an event reward. Also the easy way to deal with the skellys is the sabotage kit module, it oneshots even the skelly lord, its problem is it is a bit expensive and only for engies.
  • athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    1. Love this Halloween event!
    2. This Pyrie Castle design is absolutely great, but maybe it should have a Halloween decked out area like the court yard to hang out in like Winter Wonder Land or First Contact. Just an idea for future additions to the event. This would give the players a place to hang out and enjoy fall/Halloween season!
    3. The wand reward is nice, but i really would love to be able to win some of those witch hats for my toons. Doing so would let players have Halloween costumes or parties in the future!

Great work on this TFO by Cyptic, thanks!
    edited October 2021
    felderburg wrote: »
    What determines where we go when the party is split to get to the witches' coven? I've done it three times, every time I've gone to the cauldron to put stuff in. Is it career choice?

No idea what determines it, but I CAN tell you it's not career choice. I've played this every day as an AoY TAC officer, and have wound up in both the library and potion lab. Just saw the spiders today for the first time, though.
    alonar wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    This is the main obstacle for me on a solo run.

How in the name of Nyarlathotep do you solo this? I don't mean how do you beat it, I mean how do you get it to queue without a group? I would LOVE to run this without a pugful of graphic spammers, so I could stroll through the castle and enjoy the ambiance and dialogue!
This discussion has been closed.