What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shatner goes to space

nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
edited October 2021 in Ten Forward

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Moved
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Jeff Bezos Should be careful. He may try to hijack the vessel to slingshot around the sun. He has a track record, after all.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2021
    Many NEWs outlets have reported Shatner will be the 'oldest' person to ever FLY to SPACE next week on Oct 12.

Lucky guy, seems Jeff Bezos's is a bit of a Star Trek fan, having made a cameo in an earlier Star Trek Film in 2016.

Well safe journey to him!
    Post edited by rattler2 on
    0zxlclk.png
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I wonder if he'll be singing his rendition of Elton John's Rocketman on the way up? :smiley:
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    russians just sent up an actor and director to shoot scene for some movie recently
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    I find it interesting, that he's getting sent to space, he played the part of a star ship captain and now he's one for real.
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    no interest in celebrities and rich people going to space, something us ordinary people will never be able to afford to do. not when the earth is burning, and people down here are suffering.​​
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    Lucky guy, seems Jeff Bezos's is a bit of a Star Trek fan
    *does a basic look at what Jeff Bezos has been up to for quite a while*
    You sure about that?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    Lucky guy, seems Jeff Bezos's is a bit of a Star Trek fan
    *does a basic look at what Jeff Bezos has been up to for quite a while*
    You sure about that?

He's especially fond of the mirror universe ;)

Have fun Mr. Shatner, I've enjoyed a lot of your work over the years including Has-Been which is a good album of real music.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    I'm happy for him. Captain Kirk, of all people, deserves a chance to go into space for real.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    But Gene And Jimmy Doohan beat him to space.. at least their ashes did...
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Way to go, dude... That's cool!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Moved and merged with an existing thread.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    no interest in celebrities and rich people going to space, something us ordinary people will never be able to afford to do. not when the earth is burning, and people down here are suffering.​​
    How many of "us ordinary people" will ever be able to afford to, say, appear in a Star Trek show or movie, whether the Earth is "burning" or no? I mean, if that's your yardstick, it doesn't leave a lot of things to be interested in, including playing this game. Why are you even here in that case?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Why did Shatner go with Blue Origin instead of Space X? Blue Origin only takes about 10 minutes for the entire launch and only 3 minutes of weightlessness while Space X's Inspiration4 launch took 3 days. If I go into space, I don't want my coffee break to be longer than my ride into space.
    Inspiration 4 would appear to have been a stunt flight; I can't find any information on when they'll do it again. Blue Origin, on the other hand, seems to be moving to regularly-scheduled suborbital flights soonest.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    And Space X will come up with some other form of Civilian Orbital flight. Being in space for only 3 minutes is a major disappointment to anyone willing to spend over $100,000 for the trip. At least Richard Garriot got his money's worth in 2008 by spending $30 million for 12 days on the International Space Station. As I said before, "I don't want my coffee break to be longer than my ride into space."
    What "will happen" in future can't be scheduled, however. I have no doubt that wealthy people will be spending short vacations in orbital hotels; the Hiltons have already test-flown a three-module station. Problem is, you can't book it yet, because nobody knows when a full-fledged hotel will be deployed. Similarly, while SpaceX (and I'm sure Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic) will eventually provide three- to four-day orbital flights on a regular schedule, nobody is doing it now, and Bill Shatner isn't immortal and can't just throw a fit and wait for his longer-duration flight to spring forth from the forehead of Zeus.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Commercial airline travel also used to be pretty expensive, (relatively speaking) but now middle class families go on trips together, when there isn't a pandemic going on. It costs a lot of money to get new ventures/products off the ground, but after that it can be easier to expand them and eventually lower the cost.